Dealer wants to replace 5.0 engine with 9500 mi on it

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
I have that same sound. Did it time I changed the oil. My car has 2300 miles and twinturbos so I'm screwed with warranty work. It's done it since 1300 miles.

I'm running royal purple 5w 20 with a factory filter.

Sucks

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
i have the same sound in my 13' started at 2k. now sitting at 34K with no issues. I switched to amsoil ss 10w30 and its gone. Comes back WHEN I SWITCHED TO A LIGHTER OIL, Everytime!

how much diagnostics did they do on it?? to be honest based on my exp both my 12 and 13 did it, heavier weight oil resolves it everytime

nicksender

Established Member
Sorry this happened to you, don't usually hear about a motor replacement on the 13 and up models.

I'm guessing there is a difference between the ticks that people are hearing. Some go away with time or different oil and some need the engine replaced (though more so on the 11/12 models)..

I wonder how a dealer determines whether a tick is normal or means the engine is heading south? Scary this happens on stock or near stock vehicles with no tune.

I've been looking at used GT's and think I definitely need one with a warranty left of at least 6 months to a year just for my own personal piece of mind.

Good luck with it OP. Unfortunately you're not going to find a dealer that is going to add aftermarket parts and let you keep any warranty on them; unless you have an in with a mod-friendly dealer.

Last edited:

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
i have the same sound in my 13' started at 2k. now sitting at 34K with no issues. I switched to amsoil ss 10w30 and its gone. Comes back WHEN I SWITCHED TO A LIGHTER OIL, Everytime!

how much diagnostics did they do on it?? to be honest based on my exp both my 12 and 13 did it, heavier weight oil resolves it everytime

I'm going to try that.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
I'm going to try that.

try Amsoil SS 10w30. Seems to make this engine run in harmony

i tried Redline 10w30 too, reduced it, not eliminated it, then Pennzoil Ultra 10w30, same thing, reduced it to almost nothing but not quite gone. AM SS seems to do it just right

report back man, if you dont mind, curious :beer:

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
try Amsoil SS 10w30. Seems to make this engine run in harmony

i tried Redline 10w30 too, reduced it, not eliminated it, then Pennzoil Ultra 10w30, same thing, reduced it to almost nothing but not quite gone. AM SS seems to do it just right

report back man, if you dont mind, curious :beer:

Whats the ss mean. I can't find it. Or send me a link to the one your talkin about

Thanks
Stephen

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Sorry this happened to you, don't usually hear about a motor replacement on the 13 and up models.

I'm guessing there is a difference between the ticks that people are hearing. Some go away with time or different oil and some need the engine replaced (though more so on the 11/12 models)..I wonder how a dealer determines whether a tick is normal or means the engine is heading south? Scary this happens on stock or near stock vehicles with no tune.

I've been looking at used GT's and think I definitely need one with a warranty left of at least 6 months to a year just for my own personal piece of mind.

Good luck with it OP. Unfortunately you're not going to find a dealer that is going to add aftermarket parts and let you keep any warranty on them; unless you have an in with a mod-friendly dealer.

That is why I said that "tick" is not the proper definition IMO. My car ticks but is normal valvetrain noise now, nothing like what occured after my first oil change at 1800 +/- miles. Mine was a load dependant rattle/tap/metallic tick that occured from 1500-2500 rpm. I don't recall that it was audible at idle. The car was stock other than GT500 mufflers and only had it about a month.

I bombarded my dealer with TSB's and rumored "XL17" additive that could have been installed by the factory and removed with the old oil. The tech and FSE (field service engineer) tried different weights, installed the "XL17" additive and put 400-500 miles on my car over 20 days before authorizing a new long block. I tried to speak with the engineer but he wanted nothing of it. I can say that "XL17" was installed in the new block and was told not to change the oil until 7500 miles were put on the new set up. Changed the oil at 7500 miles, and 5000 intervals since. Car runs great.

willpower

Established Member
Update for anyone with the same sound.

They could not just get the engine and had to run a few more tests today.

They found metal shards in the oil.

If your car has a similar sound I would get it checked out!

Ultrakla$$ic

WhoFlungPoo
Established Member
Metal shards!!! Whoa! Not good!

This thread had me all paranoid about "ticking" so I went out and started mine and listened CLOSELY all over the place. Quiet and purrs like a kitten. Thank God!

Keep us up to date!.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Metal shards!!! Whoa! Not good!

This thread had me all paranoid about "ticking" so I went out and started mine and listened CLOSELY all over the place. Quiet and purrs like a kitten. Thank God!

Keep us up to date!.

Yours never sees enough of a load to cause issues. :D

AKA: 01yellerCobra

Last edited:

gen2lightning

I LOVE MY LIGHTNING....
Established Member
Damn that sounds bad.

I would just let them replace it now that they found metal shavings.

Good luck

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
I would have a nice convo with the tech and service manager asking them if they really feel good about pulling the motor without damaging the car. That would be my gripe. You will need to do a walk around with the manager and document any damage that was there when you brought the car in. They way if you pickup any new dings or scratches, you have proof. Thats what I would do. Make sure you let them know this is not just some normal daily driver car. This is your pleasure car that you take great care of and you wont stand for shoddy work. I give this speech to tire places too when I know they will be handling and possibly scratching my wheels. Those that dont feel comfortable, or wont cover their own caused damage will usually tell you up front if you make a stink about it and let them know you will be holding them accountable. Make that known you will be holding them accountable. Thats how you can gauge their workman ship. If they are confident it can be done to factory specs, and will stand up for making mistakes and possibly hurting the car, then you should be ok.

machman

04 SVT COBRA
Established Member
I checked the oil and cut open the filter and saw no metal. Hopefully it's the ac tensioner problem I keep hearing about.

Let's us know how your motor swap works out man. And definitely do a walk around with the guys before they do it.

Users who are viewing this thread