dealer asking $20k over MSRP....lol

maneuen

Established Member
Got a call from the dealer to say that they could put the order in on monday (they appeared to have their allocation saying they were getting 3 350R and 10 gt350), so I made the trip down there to discuss. I couldn't believe it, 5k deposit and 20k over msrp. I was prepared for them to ask something over sticker (not that I'm willing to pay it)....but $20k, just disgraceful. Good thing I have my name on the list of several dealerships.

Just had to vent, but I'm curious what others are running into? It looks like my "backup plan" is becoming more likely (see below)

On another note, how do you think the gt350 will match up vs. a 1LT corvette with the Z51 and magnetic ride control? Based on the leaked option pricing, the GT350 with the technology package and the above corvette should be within a couple thousand of each-other, with the corvette actually being cheaper. The mustang will make more HP but likely less torque, while the weight may be similar or with an edge towards the vette. both should respond well to basic bolt-ons (intake, tune, exhaust).

Obviously the shelby would be more rare / limited, but I would think those two will be going head to head in magazines as soon as they're available to compare.

Last edited:

Troponin

Established Member
20k seems pretty standard. Be happy it wasnt more. The Hellcat has a 25k average mark up too. All of the limited, high demand cars will have an extra 20k+ on them. I was expecting to see something closer to 30k to be honest.

Keep in mind, while a lot of those other cars are depreciating, yours might actually go up in a few years, or, at least, maintain its value for a very, very long time

Last edited:

Poppacapp

Established Member
There are dealers offering these at MSRP. I assume that is with loyal long term customers. A dealer can kiss my ass with ADM

SCalla1384

Established Member
I think it's a joke. I understand to a certain extent though. People will pay for them, so why not mark them up? People with stupid amount of money, and no real car knowledge or people who even like to work on their own car, ruin it for people like us. I'm sure they'll let them sit in the garage, put 1k miles on it in 5 years and try to resell it like morons.

$20k markup is beyond insane. Not for nothing, it's still a mustang. It came off the same assembly line a v6 did.

Lemers

Established Member
If you want any indication on how bad it is to pay an ADM on these cars; just look at how many boss 302s are available used in the $30k range.

It will be the same for the 2016 GT350s too. They will depreciate a lot at first and it will take years for their value to go back up.

So, any ADM is just lost money for the person paying it. That money will never be recouped, and you will always be upside down in that loan.

Make sure you get gap and replacement insurance.

mike.s

Established Member
im hoping can get a late 16 or early 17 model. I don't buy enough vehicles to have a relationship with a dealership so im gonna have to be patient and hope for the best

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If you want any indication on how bad it is to pay an ADM on these cars; just look at how many boss 302s are available used in the $30k range.

It will be the same for the 2016 GT350s too. They will depreciate a lot at first and it will take years for their value to go back up.

So, any ADM is just lost money for the person paying it. That money will never be recouped, and you will always be upside down in that loan.

Make sure you get gap and replacement insurance.

^This.

ADM money is just money that goes straight to the dealer's pockets. Banks won't even finance a car above MSRP, so it's all on the [stupid] buyer to cough up that extra money; probably with another signature loan with a ridiculous interest rate. If someone is fortunate enough to be able to get their hands on one of the 37 GT350Rs being released for the 2015 model year, they might make the money back in another 40 years. Otherwise, a person would just be throwing away $20K on a car they probably don't even really want. They just want to be one of the first to have one. After the novelty wears off, they'll be trying to sell it within a few months. I watched the same thing happen with the Boss, GT500, Z06, GTR, etc.

Voltwings

Established Member
My dad ended up with the first C7 Z06 in Houston - not because he paid more, or is special, just the way his ordered car fit in with the order they were building them in - and his ADM was like $10k. Now, he bought it from a large dealership that was getting a small handful of Z06s, so maybe they just figured they'd get a little off each one, whereas a smaller dealership only getting 1 or 2 may try to gouge a little more? ... at any rate, regardless of how badass the 350 will be, no way in hell is it worth another 1/3d in price ADM. Sad to see them trying to basically scam the willing out of their money like this.

Deranged2013

Established Member
My dealer said about the same thing. Was going to cost me about $75k just to get a regular gt350. I didn't tell him no but I did tell him hell no! I'll wait for a used one.

Randy M

Established Member

Uhhhh all of maybe 8 in the whole country listed on Autotrader are under $35K, all '12 models with high mileage. Most are holding their values very well.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/Ford/Mustang/Sherwood+OR-97140?endYear=2014&makeCode1=FORD&mmt=%5BFORD%5BMUST%5BMUST%7CBoss+302%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&modelCode1=MUST&photosOnlyActual=true&pricesOnly=true&searchRadius=0&showcaseListingId=396682314&showcaseOwnerId=573024&sortBy=derivedpriceASC&startYear=2012&Log=0

Lemers

Established Member
More on cars.com. A lot more if you count all the 302s in the $30 range which includes $39,999.

The point is that dealers were marking these up with ADMs and the owners aren't able to recoup that money.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I will not pay ADM, and I drive my cars, so no collector stuff for me. The only car Ford made recently that I would say has recoup ADM's are the Ford GT's. Those cars went UP in value!

I doubt we will see that happen again but you never know. At anyrate I do not think it will happen with the GT350

Randy M

Established Member
Imo ADM is not going to be supported in the resale market with this car. The others haven't in the last 10 years and neither will this one. The practice is silly and I'm not participating.

ChopSui

Established Member
Well, one of the reasons ADMs are so bad right now is because of people like the OP putting their name on multiple lists. It creates an inflated sense of demand and the dealers act accordingly. Once the order banks open up and people are forced to put up or shut up, the ADMs should come down to more reasonable levels.

mike.s

Established Member
Well, one of the reasons ADMs are so bad right now is because of people like the OP putting their name on multiple lists. It creates an inflated sense of demand and the dealers act accordingly. Once the order banks open up and people are forced to put up or shut up, the ADMs should come down to more reasonable levels.

very valid point. hope your right about them dropping. with ford only announcing a 2 year run I can already imagine how many times a salesman is gonna quote that along with limited production

03VertGT

GT350 Incoming
Established Member
very valid point. hope your right about them dropping. with ford only announcing a 2 year run I can already imagine how many times a salesman is gonna quote that along with limited production

Thought they announced 4 years at 5k units/yr and now a small 1st year run (pushing it to 5 years total)

Users who are viewing this thread