Daigo Saito's C6R FD car on dyno

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I know drifting isn't really popular here, but I think you guys will appreciate this. Daigo is a friend of ours as one of the owners of my shop is also his team manager when he comes to the US. We usually do some work on his cars when he is doing the event in Washington. He has a number of badass drift cars that he uses for competitions as well as exhibitions. He has a Murcialago, 599, Viper, Challenger, GTR, and many others. He leases a lot of his builds out to other teams to use for the season which is probably where he gets a lot of his funding on top of having backing from Monster and HKS. He is arguably one of the best drivers in the world and is the first driver to even consider the Corvette as a platform.

Everyone said it was too balanced and too grippy. I want to say he dropped in a twin turbo 572 into both C5Rs but I cant remember the exact motor at the moment. It is making well over 1200whp. There are lots of videos of it online, but we should be seeing this car stateside for the next season.

I could listen to this all day.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
That thing sounds like nascar meets drifting

Also, I didn't realize he was the same guy that pulled this very famous drift

Oh yeah! I have posted that before. He is considered a founder of drifting. Daigo is incredibly talented. He runs so hard ge will often wreck his car and the opponents car. At the Monroe, Wa event he is usually entering the first corner at 130+ mph. It's one of the fastest tracks and the best part is going to the starting line and watching them launch off. All the cars are pushing 1200hp.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Also, those transmissions are typically NASCAR leftovers. Still cost avout 8-10k though. Brake setups are about $13k.

Little known hidden fact: HKS is very interested in American muscle. They have been looking for an in to the US market since they left a while back. They approached my boss to find them a HQ in the US but they ended up pulling back on the decision.

I dont know how many people realize how huge that would be if HKS started providing parts for American cars. Their work is far far above the standard that we see here. They're like Cosworth in a way.

coposrv

Established Member
I like the tech and the cars built to drift but the sport itself is kind of lame.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
I like the tech and the cars built to drift but the sport itself is kind of lame.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
As far as motorsports as a whole goes, it ranks pretty far down the list for me. It's fun to watch in person mostly as it is big hp V8s mostly getting run to the max. A burnout contest in steroids basically.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Hahahaha. No....just, no.

Really? Name one company here that matches HKS (that isn't a huge racing brand I should say). You know they don't just make parts, right? They are an engineering and racing company as well.

Last edited:

Coiled03

Established Member
Really? Name one company here that matches HKS (that isn't a huge racing brand I should say). You know they don't just make parts, right? They are an engineering and racing company as well.

Matches what? Their "quality"? I'd pick almost ANY aftermarket company before them.

svtfocus2cobra

Established Member
Matches what? Their "quality"? I'd pick almost ANY aftermarket company before them.

You are just being biased, clearly. I doubt you have the slightest clue about HKS or how prominent they are for an entire segment of vehicles or motorsports for that matter.

Maybe do a little reading on what they have done and get back to me.

HKS HISTORY

Pretty lame that they have only developed the first turbo kit back in the 70s that influenced manufacturers to offer factory turbocharging, first to manufacture electronic components still relevant today, built a multitude of engines for every racing series known including open wheel and drag racing. It says they broke past the 8 second barrier in a Supra with 826hp pushing 20lbs of boost... how much does it take a Mustang to break into 7s? They built motorcycle engines, built airplane engines, redesigned the turbo and centrifugal supercharger... man, what a lackluster portfolio, right?

Last edited:

jrandy

Established Member
If anyone has the opportunity to go to a Formula Drift event, I'd highly recommend it. It's one of most exciting racing events IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread