D&D magnum t-56 or viper spec t-56

frankt99cobra

whoha
Established Member
I am buying a new trans and dont know which to go with. Help me out is there different benifets from either one to better suit me and my car??? the car is not a dd and may see the track a few times in the year. Mainly cruise around town with the kids

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
T56 Magnum FTW!! Seriously the best shifting tranny I've ever used!! with the exception of a jerico.. But seriously it doesnt' get any better than the magnum

kxt

atomic number 30
Established Member
i have a viper spec t56 and i'd say magnum all the way.

v6mustang164

Established Member
I hear a lot of good comments like the ones above about magnums. I hope to get a magnum t-56 with viper spec 5th and 6th in the future.

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
Magnum came out 2 months after I got my PMP T56, I was pissed. Get the magnum and never look back.

Saleen313

Cat Herder
Established Member
So what makes the magnum better than the v spec. The magnum is about a grand cheaper and can handle 50 less ft lbs torque(according to their site). Is everyones choice based on that you get just as good of a tranny for the less?

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Mines based off of driving a Viper Spec T56 and then the Magnum.. Night and day different.. there is absolutley no slop whatsoever in the Magnum. Not to mention now you can pick ur gear sets for the 5th and 6th. Usually u have a .74 5th and .50 6th for the deep gears. well now you can change out the 5th to the 04 Cobra one at like .80 or something which is kick ass. Not to mention the Viper Spec iirc is just a T-56 with better internals not made by Tremec from the factory where as I can guarentee the Magnum was tested by Tremec since is actually built by them and I know they test there shit well above 700ftlbs of tq.. I wish u were closer man I'd totally let you drive my car to feel the difference..

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
If you drive the car so little and race it even less, why do you need to get a new transmission?

fangs99

Established Member
I have a v spec and I havan't had any issues or complants except that my shifter handle rattles from 5k-7k rpm and the long first gear. The second prob will be fixed with boost.

cobraracer46

Banned
I put in a Viper spec T56 in my O1 Cobra convertible a few years back and I have been happy with it.

The Viper T56 can handle slightly more torque than the Magnum,but the magnum sports a 700+ FT TQ rating making it a very strong unit.
The magnum is a later generation of the T56 and sports several improvements.

I am happy with the Viper T56, but if the magnum was available a few years ago, I probably would have chosen it over the Viper as it comes close to the Viper in torque capacity for $800 less.

One thing is for certin, throw the T45 or TR3650 into the scrap pile.:burn:

Bite Me

Established Member
3650 has worked for me for a good long while. Its a little bitch some times, but held up to quite a bit of abuse. When its dead a built auto is going in it along with a twin turbo.

frankt99cobra

whoha
Established Member
If you drive the car so little and race it even less, why do you need to get a new transmission?

Sometimes i think not driving it enough is what causes some of the problems. My stock t-45 makes some loud noise when its in gear "screaming". not built to handle the horsepower or torque.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Isnt the magnum pretty much a t56 with t6060 internals? I thought I read that somewhere.

fangs99

Established Member
I would say 2.66 1st gear and any ring and pinion under 4.10's without boost is no good.
I get 47mph out of 1st with 3.73's. Good thing I'll be adding some PD boost soon.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
An 03/04 Cobra T-56 will work for the OPs application (FI, 4.10s), but if it were mine I'd probably just get a Promotion built 3650 as it will hold up well and is a helluva lot cheaper.

frankt99cobra

whoha
Established Member
alright ended up picking up a 03 built t-56, new spec alum flywheel, spec 3
+ clutch, alum driveshaft,and pro 5.0 shifter. Picked it up today love the new gearing hate the semi feel of the trans and shifter, notchy as hell

sideways03

LS What?
Established Member
alright ended up picking up a 03 built t-56, new spec alum flywheel, spec 3
+ clutch, alum driveshaft,and pro 5.0 shifter. Picked it up today love the new gearing hate the semi feel of the trans and shifter, notchy as hell

That's why everyone said get the Magnum...

Users who are viewing this thread