cutting the springs tomrrow

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
big_goomba said:
I really like the stance on 04sleeper's Cobra. I believe he went with 1 coil in the front and 5/8 in the rear.

I'm concerned about the 315/35/17 D3's rubbing without rolling the rear fenders and/or trashing the chin spoiler in front when negotiating driveways, so I was thinking of going with 1/2 in the rear and 7/8 in the front.

I wish there was enough information here to create some kind of chart for both coupes and verts alike. I'll post before/after measurements and pics when I get around to cutting mine.

BTW, What are guys using to cut the springs?
Thanks big_goomba.

This is what I use to cut the springs.
126149.jpg

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
04sleeper said:
This is what I use to cut the springs.
126149.jpg
It looks like some kind of rotary saw, but what is it, what type blade, and more importantly how much do they cost?

Would it cost less to go to a machine shop to have them cut?

Thanks!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator

Jgruggs

Established Member
That's exactly what I used. Lots of people say it will put too much heat on the coils and damage them...that's bull. I wouldn't put a torch to them but this cut off grinder will not hurt them. I have all the starting measurements written down and my finish numbers and I'll try and get them posted asap. There at home and I'm working , maybe I won't forget them later. And yeah, I was worried I might take too much off so I went at it knowing that I would possibly have to redo the fronts. Ok though, didn't take no time to repull the fronts, cut and reinstall. Shoot man , they get eaiser the shorter they get..HAHAHA. Again, thanks to all for giving me the info and courage to tackle this. It's not a bad job. Oh , and an all wheel alignment is a must afterward....mine was out all around.

big_goomba

I'm Drivin' Sideways
Established Member
04sleeper said:
Sorry. Here's another picture.
If you have an air compressor it's only $10.

Thanks 04sleeper,

Unfortunately I don't have an air compressor at this time. I've been wanting to get one, but I couldn't justify it...

Does anyone know if a high speed cutting tool can be used with one of those portable 2-3 gallon air compressors?

Jgruggs

Established Member
A small grinder like from Harbor Freight , about 30 bucks , maybe less if ya catch it on sale will do the trick also. Don't believe a small comp. will be able to keep up, those things spin super fast.

Jgruggs

Established Member
Got all my measurements..measured from ground to bottom of fender, before and after and my total drop for the front drivers side was..1&7/8 in. For the pass side...1&3/8 in. That's a half inch difference from side to side , ??? Oh well, ya can't see it. The back was a lot closer. The driver side rear total drop was...1&1/2 in. The pass side total drop was...1&1/4 in. Only a 1/4 inch difference. And that's if I set the tape in the same place all around, could be a little closer ...maybe a little more off. The thing is...I'm happy with the look.

comporange javi

Established Member
So i finally did it!! I cut my springs...and I love it:rockon: as soon as I find my stupid usb cable for my camera I will post up step by step instructions with pictures.. for future ref.

Users who are viewing this thread