cutting springs this weekend how much should i cut.PICS PLEASE

boosted03cobra

Established Member
next sunday a budy and i are going to cutting my stock springs how much should i cut im thinking one full coil in the front and 3/4 in the rear anyone have any pics of what it might look like

postban

...rollin on 20's
Established Member
3/4 coil in the rear is 1-1/2 drop
1/2 coil in front is 1" drop

any more than tha and it gets unpredictable

prepare to scrape on everything

racebronco2

Established Member
i agree with postban ... and remember ... let the car settle for a few days before you decide to if the ride height is the way you want it

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I cut mine 3/4 a coil all around and I think the height it is perfect. Sorry no pics or exact #'s but the front is 2 fingers from tire to fenderwell and the rear is 3 fingers.

grnenvy

Established Member
yup

I also cut 3/4 off of my springs and it looks great and sits perfect. The car handles so much better now and it rides the same. If I had to do it again being that I like to put the hoosier drag radial on the car I would have just cut off a 1/2 coil. If you lower the car to much it's hard to get a big tire on the car without it rubbing.

96stanggt said:
I cut mine 3/4 a coil all around and I think the height it is perfect. Sorry no pics or exact #'s but the front is 2 fingers from tire to fenderwell and the rear is 3 fingers.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I can't even drive my car w\ 2 finger gap in the front and 3 in the rear. It scrapes everywhere lol. MM coilovers are in my garage waiting to go in :)

Last edited:

VinSVT

Established Member
I did 1 coil all the way around... the back dropped a little to much. I can only have 2 people in the car (including myself) or I scape. The front is perfect for me. I have Kooks LT's and dont scrape at all with my current setup.

I will warn you though... I did this with a buddy, we cut the same amount of his as we did mine. My rear dropped more... front was the same.

Anyways, if I were going to do it again...

3/4 coil off the back
1 full coil off the front.

VinSVT

Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I can't even drive my car w\ 2 finger gap in the front and 3 in the rear. It scrapes everywhere lol. MM coilovers are in my garage waiting to go in :)

I have a 1 finger gap in the front, and maybe half-finger gap in the back (settled to low) Kooks LTs and I dont scrape at all.

VinSVT

Established Member
Two pictures to show you how low it is...

weekend.bmp

weekend1.bmp

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
VinSVT said:
I have a 1 finger gap in the front, and maybe half-finger gap in the back (settled to low) Kooks LTs and I dont scrape at all.

You have 18s though so it is probably slightly higher w\ less gap.... If I had 18s on my car it would probably be fine....Yours looks great!! I can't wait to get my FR500s.

Here is a pic of how low my car is. I bought my springs from the owner of this car.

It is just too low for me right now. I could put in MM isolators, but I want coilovers anyway so I went ahead and got them.

DSC02921.gif

Last edited:

Niteninja

I Miss my Z...
Established Member
wow... love those pics. I have Eibach Pro-kit...the back is great and the front will be cut 1/2 coil in a couple of weeks.

For some reason, Eibachs always need to be cut. Same way on my Z28.

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
1/2 up front
3/4 out back
looks lower in person
I wouldn't go an more or you will be unsatisfied with the ride and clearance.

Only scrapes on extreme elevation changes.
speed bumps are fine as long as you cross on an angle.

JP :beer:
Jason238.jpg

BiZ

Established Member
Ride quality will change slightly. I noticed a difference with cut stockers in my car. And it will rub in certain situations. Large speed mountains are not your friend with cut springs.

Oh yeah mine were cut 3/4" on all corners. But the pic in my sig is prior to the springs being installed.

Pred_mech

Established Member
...couple questions... do you cut from the top or the bottom of the spring? also, doesn't the spring kinda flatten at the ends so it sits better, so when you cut them there will be a higher angle where the spring meets the car. How about noise.

Users who are viewing this thread