cutting springs this weekend how much should i cut.PICS PLEASE

Sharkster

Established Member
96stanggt said:
I didn't use a spring compressor......
know where there is a step by step with maybe some photos. Heard some wicked stories about those springs popping and the world coming to an end with the noise :nono: remember hearing something about using floor jacks and such.... cant get a good search on it and its not positive enough to avoind getting hit in the face with 500 pounds of spring force. I dont know something about keeping my jaw connected to my head. hehehe
If I had some step by steps with some photos Id feel a lot better about doing it.

missile man

Established Member
There was a good "How To" on this forum about a year ago. It is the one I used to put my BBK Springs in. I still want the rear just about 1/2 inch lower.

QWKRN U

1 0f 72 Build #159
Established Member
missile man said:
How do you like the ride?

Rides great.Definately a worthwhile mod. I used a spring compressor and the Fat guy tool. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

lukem80

Established Member
what kind of isolators are yous guys using?

i'd like to see a 3/4 cut all the way around with some MM iso's if anyone has some pics :pepper:

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I figured I'd just throw this FYI out there in case any of you guys with cut springs are into autocrossing. Click on the link in my sig to see some photos of my car on course. I'm almost scraping the nose of the bumper off of the pavement. I have some stiffer springs now, but the pics show that the 600 linears are very compliant at speed, on race rubber.

Edit: My stock springs were not cut in the photos..

Last edited:

ShaneN.

Established Member
keep em coming. 3/4 of a coil looks nice. any problems with cutting the stockers at all? did anyone go from cutting theres to aftermarket ones, that has an opinion on the two.

Sharkster

Established Member
I was going to go with cutting 3/4 coil in the back and 1 full in the front due to the scraping but now I think Im going to go with a full coil all around as he was is running 18" wheels so with me running 17' this should be just right.

WOLFGANGSTA

Banned
Sharkster said:
I was going to go with cutting 3/4 coil in the back and 1 full in the front due to the scraping but now I think Im going to go with a full coil all around as he was is running 18" wheels so with me running 17' this should be just right.

Just keep in mind...a lot of guys that go to 18" wheels get a little smaller profile tire than the stock....therefore, the overall tire height is very close to the same as 17" wheels. So, don't think that you need to go lower because someone else had 18"s and it sat just right. Most likely, he went with a slightly smaller tire profile and the measurement from the pavement to the top of the tire is about the same as a 17" wheel with stock tires on it. Make sense?

ShaneN.

Established Member
WOLFGANGSTA said:
Just keep in mind...a lot of guys that go to 18" wheels get a little smaller profile tire than the stock....therefore, the overall tire height is very close to the same as 17" wheels. So, don't think that you need to go lower because someone else had 18"s and it sat just right. Most likely, he went with a slightly smaller tire profile and the measurement from the pavement to the top of the tire is about the same as a 17" wheel with stock tires on it. Make sense?

good post.

gud2goe

Established Member
when you installed your 3/4 cut coils what did you use as a ref for install//upper or lower pigtail...i used lower and lined it up with the hole in the perch

gud2goe

Established Member
still ..does it matter which way the front and rear spring faces? toward the drivers side or rear faceing upper pig tail or line up the the hole in the lower perch for the lower pig tail..i have heard it all just trying to get it right

lukem80

Established Member
I've installed/cut springs on (4) four 03 Cobra's so far. 3 coupes, 1 vert

1) My personal car. cut 1/2-5/8 all the way around. rear is alittle high, but ok. stock ISO's

2) Jeff's 03 coupe. cut 3/4 all the around. stock iso's... perfect drop all the way around.

3) Josh 03 vert. installed BBK springs on it. front is prefect. rear is about like mine with 1/2 cut off (too high in most opinions)

4) Chris 04 coupe. cut 15/16 coil (very close to 1 full coil) and used MM ISO's. the front is perfect. rear is lower than #2 by maybe 1/4-1/8 inch but still looks good. he has MM full lenght subframes and is the only one to scrape on the speed pumps in my apt complex.

I will get some pics soon. all cars are rocking the stock 17's right now so that will be good for comparison.

Last edited:

98tacoma

Banned
I just measured 27" in the front from ground to bottom of fender, and 28.75" in rear. Was thinking of cutting 1/2 coil in front and 3/4 in rear to get rid of the rake, how does this sound?

4.6speed

Established Member
Here is mine with 1 full coil all the way around and stock iso's. Turned out perfect for me. I don't know if I would go this much if you are driving around with a full car load of people.

100_0283.jpg

gud2goe

Established Member
i'll get up a pic here shortly but mine hasnt settled good at all...i measure LF 27" RF 27-1/4 RR 27-3/4 and LR 27-3/8

i cut 1/2 coil on the front and 3/4 in the rear using mm isos.. ...i have been on this set up now for a week and a half

Brad

Banned
LargeOrangeFont said:
You have 18s though so it is probably slightly higher w\ less gap.... If I had 18s on my car it would probably be fine....Yours looks great!! I can't wait to get my FR500s.

Here is a pic of how low my car is. I bought my springs from the owner of this car.

It is just too low for me right now. I could put in MM isolators, but I want coilovers anyway so I went ahead and got them.

DSC02921.gif

Having 18" wheels doesn't change the diameter of the total wheels size...

Also I don't understand why you people are cutting your springs, it's just stupid, they're not designed to be cut and still do their job whereas a lowering spring can lower the car and still perform.

Pony up the $200 do some research and do it right for christs sakes, cutting might get the ride height you want, but you lose all predictabilty and performance of the spring.

On edit, I believe you can cut a progressive rate spring as it still keeps the same level of riditity over each spring, but the stock springs, don't cut them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread