custom made shaved mustang cobra bumpers?

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey Steve, Just letting you know that I'd probably grab one of these bumpers. I've been looking for one and don't want to drop OEM price for a Cobra one when i'm going to have it filled in anyway. I vote that we have a smooth model available, as it adds to the clean, badgeless look, but I would ESPECIALLY be all for this bumper if the side markers are also shaved out. I'm not home currently, but when I get there i'll link you a Bullitt that had this done, and it looks absolutely stunning.

Quik Z06

Established Member
Personally I wouldn't mind making this for you guy's, it's up to Steve though as he's the Vendor on here. As for the hood, im game as well :)

Quik Z06

Established Member
This is exactly what I'm looking for - either plain or with "Mustang". Any updates on this?

:dw: Read my post above your's :beer: Some people may not know this, but I have my own business which we make fiberglass/carbon parts for Corvettes. I have worked with Steve in the past on other projects and if he does something like this I would be having the part's built for him. It's up to Steve if he want's to start on this or not, lol or even if he wants to work with me on it for that matter.

Quik Z06

Established Member
^ Lol, im down to make anything, but since im not a Vendor here, it would have to go through Steve.

bullittbuild

Established Member
Steve you make one and I'll buy it. Do wheels and bumper at the same time plus some other things I have planned

Renegade90

Established Member
Quik are you in Fresno? I'd love a bumper with Mach 1 on it, and I have a hood idea I've been wanting to see done. I'd love to see a raised Mach 1 hood, basically a functional cowl that is still molded for the shaker

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
ill discuss it more with quik. i just have a few reservations. i think that the final price for the bumpers might be too high (especially with shipping). and, ive also talked to some people that said the bumpers may have fitment issues.

what does a stock bumper go for? i really need to determine if it will be worth it to make them and at the same time attractive to purchase. since i wouldnt be making tons of them, they need to be somewhat profitable.

replicating the factory bumper is a no brainer and would be low cost to get started. not so sure about a bank bumper though.

if, IF we were to be able to make the smooth ones successfully, THEN we could see about doing special embossed ones like Mach 1, Bullit, etc... obviously those would be much more extensive as embossed letters would be added, not filled in.

i have to chat with quik this week anyways so we'll see whats up.

i can already tell you that there is NO way we can compete with that other company's pricing. not even close. the only thing we could possibly do is maybe make a better product, which would justify the higher price.

Drazga

Established Member
Steve this is a great idea.
-shaved (not a huge fan but might sell, just looks to plain IMO)
-"Mustang" would definitely sell like hotcakes
- "Terminator" seems kind of gay to me like someone else mentioned its might be as bad as the "stalker" rear bumper
- i also like the Bullitt and Mach 1 idea, but there most likely wouldnt be enough buyers
- a splitter option added in might be cool

have you thought about making different molds for the top piece and different for the bottom like interchangeable?

so you could make shaved, mustang, bullitt, mach1, and cobra. (and terminator if people really want that)
then you could have bottom pieces which are interchangeable (so buyer would buy top and bottom, except for cobra owners buying a new lower)
bottoms might include:
oem look
oem with removed exhaust holes (for those with dumps or side exhaust)
splitter (different variants from subtle to extreme)
possibly fiberglass bottom? so it could be painted to match?

also have you thought about a oem spoiler with no 3rd light or key hole? id probably be interested in that myself.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Steve this is a great idea.
-shaved (not a huge fan but might sell, just looks to plain IMO)
-"Mustang" would definitely sell like hotcakes
- "Terminator" seems kind of gay to me like someone else mentioned its might be as bad as the "stalker" rear bumper
- i also like the Bullitt and Mach 1 idea, but there most likely wouldnt be enough buyers
- a splitter option added in might be cool

have you thought about making different molds for the top piece and different for the bottom like interchangeable?

so you could make shaved, mustang, bullitt, mach1, and cobra. (and terminator if people really want that)
then you could have bottom pieces which are interchangeable (so buyer would buy top and bottom, except for cobra owners buying a new lower)
bottoms might include:
oem look
oem with removed exhaust holes (for those with dumps or side exhaust)
splitter (different variants from subtle to extreme)
possibly fiberglass bottom? so it could be painted to match?

also have you thought about a oem spoiler with no 3rd light or key hole? id probably be interested in that myself.

i dont think the interchangeable parts in plastic/fiberglass would be a good idea. with metal parts its pretty easy but with these body parts probably not so much. plus, the more complex it gets, the more expensive it gets. easier just to make single pieces. plus, you have to make a mold for each item. every mold costs $$$. so now you're just adding an extra mold. ie 2 different bumpers that are interchangeable = 3 molds. if 2 different single piece bumpers, then only 2 molds.

the blank bumper is easy, like i said. im just concerned with the embossed "mustang" on the bumper. for it to be done juuust right. right height, spacing, depth, etc... remember, the more time has to be invested in developing the product, the more its going to cost. just a wild guess but imagine the blank bumper costing $400 and the embossed one costing $600. people would say, yeah thats really cool, but WAY too much. ill buy a cheapo one.

but thank you for offering ideas. keep em coming as we'll take everything into consideration. a lot of you dont need these bumpers because you have them already, but youre mustang guys and can offer input as to what other guys might want :beer:

as for the spoiler, we've discussed that as well. iirc, the stock spoiler was pretty cheap? anyone have a price on that off the top of their head?
would people want one without the light and the keyhole?? i thought i read before that people thought it looked odd without the light. doesnt someone make those already?
that's a really easy one though.

Teej281

Established Member
I'd be game for one with MUSTANG in it! And I would pay the $600 price for it as well, just for the sole fact of people laying off the "fobra" talk as my car has the front bumper and will have the hood and side skirts soon hopefully, as well as a fully built IRS and Cobra wheels. lol

Users who are viewing this thread