Current New Vehicle Market

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Another canary in the coal mine for EV's?

GM delays production of 2 EV pickups, plans Orion Assembly plant restart for 2025​

General Motors is pushing back production of two all-electric pickups at Orion Assembly plant by a full year, thereby idling the factory at the end of this year and transferring about 1,000 workers to other GM facilities in the state.

GM had planned to start production on the Chevrolet Silverado EV and GMC Sierra EV next year, but on Tuesday the automaker announced that it will "retime the conversion" of Orion Assembly plant in Orion Township to EV truck production and restart the plant in late 2025 instead.

"This has nothing to do with labor negotiations or the strike," said GM spokesman Kevin Kelly, when asked whether the ongoing strike, now in its fifth week, by the UAW with the Detroit Three automakers is causing GM to delay EV production or make other manufacturing moves.

GM currently builds the Chevrolet Bolt and Bolt EUV at Orion. GM said earlier this year it will stop production of the Bolts there by year end to focus on production of the 2024 Silverado EV pickup. In July, GM said it would launch a next-generation, Ultium-based Bolt but details on the updated Bolt were limited, and GM has not said where it would be built.

GM said it is delaying production of the Silverado EV and Sierra EV at Orion to better manage its capital investment in EVs and to align the investment with evolving EV demand.

"We're looking at EV demand and the trendline for EVs is stabilizing," Kelly said. "It is not rising as fast as originally forecasted."

Additionally, Kelly said GM has found engineering improvements to implement on the pickups to "increase the profitability" of the vehicles.

The UAW did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

GM presently makes the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV work truck at Factory Zero in Detroit and Hamtramck alongside the GMC Hummer EV pickup, Hummer SUV and Cruise Origin autonomous vehicle. That production continues, Kelly said, and production on the GMC Sierra EV is on track to begin there some time next year.

Kelly said there was always going to be a gap between when production of the Bolt ended at Orion and production of the EV pickups begin. Therefore, consistent with the original plant conversion plan, union-represented hourly employees at Orion will be offered other jobs in Michigan, including jobs at Factory Zero, where production has been steadily increasing. GM expects to significantly increase production there next year.

In January 2022, GM announced it would invest $4 billion to convert Orion Assembly to produce the EV pickups on GM's proprietary Ultium propulsion system.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Another canary in the coal mine for EV's?

GM delays production of 2 EV pickups, plans Orion Assembly plant restart for 2025​

General Motors is pushing back production of two all-electric pickups at Orion Assembly plant by a full year, thereby idling the factory at the end of this year and transferring about 1,000 workers to other GM facilities in the state.

GM had planned to start production on the Chevrolet Silverado EV and GMC Sierra EV next year, but on Tuesday the automaker announced that it will "retime the conversion" of Orion Assembly plant in Orion Township to EV truck production and restart the plant in late 2025 instead.

"This has nothing to do with labor negotiations or the strike," said GM spokesman Kevin Kelly, when asked whether the ongoing strike, now in its fifth week, by the UAW with the Detroit Three automakers is causing GM to delay EV production or make other manufacturing moves.

GM currently builds the Chevrolet Bolt and Bolt EUV at Orion. GM said earlier this year it will stop production of the Bolts there by year end to focus on production of the 2024 Silverado EV pickup. In July, GM said it would launch a next-generation, Ultium-based Bolt but details on the updated Bolt were limited, and GM has not said where it would be built.

GM said it is delaying production of the Silverado EV and Sierra EV at Orion to better manage its capital investment in EVs and to align the investment with evolving EV demand.

"We're looking at EV demand and the trendline for EVs is stabilizing," Kelly said. "It is not rising as fast as originally forecasted."

Additionally, Kelly said GM has found engineering improvements to implement on the pickups to "increase the profitability" of the vehicles.

The UAW did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

GM presently makes the 2024 Chevrolet Silverado EV work truck at Factory Zero in Detroit and Hamtramck alongside the GMC Hummer EV pickup, Hummer SUV and Cruise Origin autonomous vehicle. That production continues, Kelly said, and production on the GMC Sierra EV is on track to begin there some time next year.

Kelly said there was always going to be a gap between when production of the Bolt ended at Orion and production of the EV pickups begin. Therefore, consistent with the original plant conversion plan, union-represented hourly employees at Orion will be offered other jobs in Michigan, including jobs at Factory Zero, where production has been steadily increasing. GM expects to significantly increase production there next year.

In January 2022, GM announced it would invest $4 billion to convert Orion Assembly to produce the EV pickups on GM's proprietary Ultium propulsion system.

You wonder if extender generators got a fresh look.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
In September, the percentage of auto borrowers who were at least 60 days late on their bills rose to 6.11%, according to a Fitch Ratings report obtained by FOX Business. That marks the highest default level in nearly three decades and is a notable increase from the previous record of 5.93% in January.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Anyone else notice that most Jeep Grand Cherokee's are pushed to the dealers with the E locking axle delete? Saves you all of $400.00.

I'm in the market, but won't buy without a complete product.

Thanks Nick.

Mike

Rb0891

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone else notice that most Jeep Grand Cherokee's are pushed to the dealers with the E locking axle delete? Saves you all of $400.00.

I'm in the market, but won't buy without a complete product.

Thanks Nick.

Mike
Oh shit. I just bought one of these and I don’t even know what that is or means. Seriously, lol.

I do find it funny that Jeep only offers the higher end diff stuff on the highly optioned grand Cherokee. I mean are people really rock climbing in a Summit Reserve.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member

Translation: EVs are gay and are not selling, we were stupid and drank the Koolaid early on, shame on us.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
You don't make money as a manufacturer on a $20k new vehicle, period.

But it provides an entry level vehicle that you can help a young person get into and hope they stay brand loyal. Without that, they're hoping we get a chance on the 2nd purchase.

Honda sells a lot of really decent civics for $25K(ish). My kids grew up in a Ford family and are buying new Honda's as their first vehicle. They've seen Dad's Fords fall apart and fail too often, and no way they're paying $40-50K for a POS.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
Honda sells a lot of really decent civics for $25K(ish). My kids grew up in a Ford family and are buying new Honda's as their first vehicle. They've seen Dad's Fords fall apart and fail too often, and no way they're paying $40-50K for a POS.

The Hondas and Toyotas of the world must be doing something right. They sell a small fraction of the high margin trucks and SUV's that the domestics do, yet are significantly more profitable.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
The Hondas and Toyotas of the world must be doing something right. They sell a small fraction of the high margin trucks and SUV's that the domestics do, yet are significantly more profitable.

On a side note, the dealer said they are only allocated 5 manual civics per year, claims he could easily sell 50/50 but is restricted by the manufacturer. The demand for manuals is there in the younger generation, but supply is artificially restricted.

My son bought a manual. Good man, that one.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
On a side note, the dealer said they are only allocated 5 manual civics per year, claims he could easily sell 50/50 but is restricted by the manufacturer. The demand for manuals is there in the younger generation, but supply is artificially restricted.

My son bought a manual. Good man, that one.

Honda lots have been thin for a very long time.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
From the sounds of it the high optioned trucks will be the first to be repoed and hit the auction block.

Doubtful.

I could be wrong, and it might just be a regional thing... Most vehicles I sell over $60k are paid for in cash. Under that, it's probably 80/20 finance/cash.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
P
Doubtful.

I could be wrong, and it might just be a regional thing... Most vehicles I sell over $60k are paid for in cash. Under that, it's probably 80/20 finance/cash.

Are you talking actual cash, or bank check, or personal check? I've done all 3 at various times, with financing already sorted on my end.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Are you talking actual cash, or bank check, or personal check? I've done all 3 at various times, with financing already sorted on my end.

When I say "cash", I mean no lien. So either a personal check, cashiers check or actual cash.

Users who are viewing this thread