crossover tube cap

wjjeeper

Established Member
With all the overheating threads going on I thought I'd look at my cooling system. In doing so I see that someone has broken off their 1/4" drive ratchet or 1/4" drive extension in the crossover tube cap.
Has anyone successfully removed this, or would it be best to simply buy a new cap and replace it after pulling the current one off with a channellock?

RussZTT

Established Member
With all the overheating threads going on I thought I'd look at my cooling system. In doing so I see that someone has broken off their 1/4" drive ratchet or 1/4" drive extension in the crossover tube cap.
Has anyone successfully removed this, or would it be best to simply buy a new cap and replace it after pulling the current one off with a channellock?
Sure, you have to be very careful but yes, you can take it off.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I bought a new cap...I broke a 1/4 drive in there too...had to drill it out...and swing by an exhaust shop...they had a tool the correct tool to remove that burp plug, it's called a 1/4 inch square drive...they are rare, hard to find, but snap on sells them if I'm not mistaken...
Good luck OP as those burp plugs are a PITA if they are over tightened...

peckshelby

Everything Can Be Fixed
Established Member
After breaking two 1/4 drives I finally used vise grips to get mine out! Once it was off, I squared it off using the grinder. Now all it takes is a 15/16" open end wrench.
PA260038.jpg

PA260039.jpg

wjjeeper

Established Member
I just center drilled it and used a flat screw driver to pull the piece out. (Still out in the garage).
I like of like the idea of taking the bench grinder to it and squaring it off. hmmmm

forcefedcobra

Established Member
I popped a coolant hose at the road track and we couldnt get the fill plug out no matter what we tried. Might have to weld a nut on it to get it off...........In the future I am going to use the one that a member on here sells that can also be used with an npt fitting for a coolant temp gauge (mine is installed into the block though)

SnakeBit

Mid-Life Crisis my ass!
Established Member
I popped a coolant hose at the road track and we couldnt get the fill plug out no matter what we tried. Might have to weld a nut on it to get it off...........In the future I am going to use the one that a member on here sells that can also be used with an npt fitting for a coolant temp gauge (mine is installed into the block though)
That would be 99COBRA2881 aka Anthony
(785)658-5921
Midcontinent Mustangs

I have a plain one (IIRC it was $25). Very nice piece made out of hex stock. No more stripped out holes for me. :banana:

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Mines stripped as well and i need to use channel locks also_One of these days i need to weld a nut on there like some of you other guys.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
took my cross over tube to an exhaust shop and had a nice sized old exhaust (15mm?) nut welded to it so I can get it off with a wrench now.

you can barely see it here.. I need to clean it up more to make it pretty but it's kinda low on my priority list right now :)
100_0849.jpg

Last edited:

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
+ 1000 mine came off with the vice grips every cap i've ever seen had the tooth marks on it. snugged it back up with the 1/4 drive and will use the vice grips to get it back off again when the time comes :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread