Crash & Death at the NOLA Wannagofast 1/2 mile today (RIP Jeff Hagaman)

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
There is no way anyone was stopping on this surface.
6283796911a5e32b261a89cd7eb6d371.jpeg

Sent from my [trashcan S5] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
What caused the wreck was driving on the unsafe track, at speeds that could result in a fatal wreck, which the deceased did of his own free will. The track did not compel anyone or anything to drive on its surface at a speed that could lead to such a wreck.

That’s not how Tort law works.

Did WGF Tech the Car? Yes
Did WGF let him drive the car 200mph as is? Yes
Did the track let WGF rent it for an event with cars going 200mph without cages? Yes

As stated a dozen times, the run off was uneven and bumpy. They should have let no one run under those conditions regardless of safety equipment.

A cage is not a magic veil that protects you from harm.

treynor

Confirmed Power Junkie
Established Member
Premium Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Here's a video I made at NOLA three years ago. I'm in a high-downforce GT car on slicks, entering the braking zone about 160 MPH in this video. You can see how bumpy is both the approach and the turn 1 brake zone starting around 0:10, and you can compare it to the straight & braking zone at around 1:30 which is still bumpy but much more normal for a racing surface.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Here's a video I made at NOLA three years ago. I'm in a high-downforce GT car on slicks, entering the braking zone about 160 MPH in this video. You can see how bumpy is both the approach and the turn 1 brake zone starting around 0:10, and you can compare it to the straight & braking zone at around 1:30 which is still bumpy but much more normal for a racing surface.

Nice run.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
The dice are always rolling, eventually it will land on the magic numbers and if you're not ready you're dead. I don't give a shit who it is, you go to an event with that type of speed possibility and show up with a "street" car and die.. your fault, and I don't feel bad for this at all. If it's a true "street" car, don't bring it to events like this unless you plan on possibly dying knowing you are rolling those dice. Street car's don't belong at events like this if claim being if it has a cage then it isn't for the street, horse shit, if I want a damn street car that hauls ass I WANT a cage in it period, no exceptions, you get one shot to enjoy it and the rest of your life. I would rather have an underpowered vehicle that's slower then go the complete opposite and overpowering a vehicle and taking the odds and throwing it in the trash by not putting in just a little bit of prevention. All the experience in the world means jack shit when nature comes in or bad luck, choice is.. do you want to possibly survive an otherwise fatal crash or end up in a box for a stupid reason, no, and one is going to look at you and judge you for showing up with a cage, no one is going to create an even saying they are illegal. So whats there to argue? Feel bad, sure hes dead, but it was his choice for choosing to get into the vehicle and attempt those speeds with the lack of safety.
I've seen some of those So-Called cages in these cars, it's a couple bars. NHRA Certified inspectors would fricken laugh and most of them...

Zemedici

Established Member
What caused the wreck was driving on the unsafe track, at speeds that could result in a fatal wreck, which the deceased did of his own free will. The track did not compel anyone or anything to drive on its surface at a speed that could lead to such a wreck.

man I would think out of anyone, you'd get this.

Its like you're on a racetrack, come around a hairpin turn, and there's a barrier across the track. You smash into it and get killed.

Is that YOUR fault, or is the track operator's fault?

You signed up to run your car in a 'safe and controlled environment' - whereas it was supposed to be inspected, and checked off safe.

NOLA was far from safe.

@earico

Its in this video, and that was his old setup last year.

Kiohtee

Established Member
A brief mention of some "bumpy spots" severely diminishes the reality of what was actually down there. So if that's the driver's meeting, was the option of walking the track a lie? Can't blame Jeff for trusting WGF in this instance. They cleared it for competition and made the bad portion of the track seem like a non-factor.

Also, my call out thread is here.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Is there a reason why NOLA had a bumpy stretch right there? Just something that has gotten worse over time and the base underneath the asphalt going away? Something they were going to fix sooner than later?

Watching Treynors video just surprised how much his car bounced over that section.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
All irrelevant.

Was the track unsafe? Yes
Did WGF know? Yes
Did the unsafe condition cause an accident resulting in death? Yes

Hmmmm

It's actually very relevant. If you knowingly engage in a dangerous activity, you assume the risk involved. Use your exact scenario but apply it to a theoretical UFC fight where the fighter dies. Is fighting unsafe? Yes. Does the UFC know? Yes. Did the fight cause someone to lose their life? Yes. Do you think the UFC would then be responsible for the death of a fighter? I don't... because anyone knows that when they close the cage door, they are assuming the risk involved. Driving a street car with no safety equipment down a narrow track at 217mph is pretty risky and everyone knows if something goes wrong, you're probably going to die.

We'll see if a suit is filed and who wins to determine who is right between the both of us.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
It's actually very relevant. If you knowingly engage in a dangerous activity, you assume the risk involved. Use your exact scenario but apply it to a theoretical UFC fight where the fighter dies. Is fighting unsafe? Yes. Does the UFC know? Yes. Did the fight cause someone to lose their life? Yes. Do you think the UFC would then be responsible for the death of a fighter? I don't... because anyone knows that when they close the cage door, they are assuming the risk involved. Driving a street car with no safety equipment down a narrow track at 217mph is pretty risky and everyone knows if something goes wrong, you're probably going to die.

We'll see if a suit is filed and who wins to determine who is right between the both of us.
Nothing you have said is innacurate in regard to the UFC. However, if the cage collapsed, or a fighter was to fall through the floor due to poor craftsmanship the UFC would be held responsible for an unsafe environment. The NOLA track was unsafe.

I do not place the blame entirely on Wannagofast and NOLA. The drivers should have walked the track. At that point everyone should have demanded a refund and refused to make a pass.

Users who are viewing this thread