Could Ford Fumble GT500 Launch Any Worse?

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Good lord, ok, i guess i have to spell it out. What specific, OEM, Factory equipment, dedicated drag car runs a raised air foil? Have i narrowed it down enough yet?

Lol. Well you did leave it open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Dodge specifically built the Demon to be in a niche that nobody else is in. They stated as much at the release. Ford is not targeting the Demon or the Hellcats. They're not concerned about playing in that space anymore (thank God.) The Mustang is becoming more sophisticated and more athletic. That's what people want these days. Otherwise, Hellcats would be top sellers and Dodge would be cranking out as many Demons as they could make. Neither of those is the case.

He's right though, Ford is building a more well rounded card. Building something that only goes after the Demon would be a very, very, narrow focus, and quite frankly a waste of time.

Agree with what you both think is Ford's strategy.

I just don't agree with the strategy itself. Neither does Dodge and it seems to be working for them. Article below is also a contradiction to what GT Premi says above about sales numbers.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/b...09/17/dodge-sees-payoff-demon-hype/105745768/

Good lord, ok, i guess i have to spell it out. What specific, OEM, Factory equipment, dedicated drag car runs a raised air foil? Have i narrowed it down enough yet?

Well that kind of narrows the choice down to only a handful or less, right?

The ZL1 was a decent example.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I've seen more than a few examples where a Gen 3 coyote putting down more power mod for mod than an LT1, i'd hardly call the coyote an underdog considering it's been punching above it's weight since it was launched.

"More than a few" is a pretty low number

There is a reason why Mihovetz doesn't run Coyote blocks which has not been recognized as the preeminent Ford V8 platform especially now that it has a sleeveless block. Sure a few guys will build what they have but the V3 4.6 and Teksid blocks are generally recognized as the best choice for a Ford V8 build and can be bored oversize 3 times. The 5.8 guys rarely, if ever applied anything over stock boost levels for fear of scoring a cylinder on a $5K block something tell me the owners of the new GT500 will be in the exact same boat! Even the GT350 guys other then a few shops apply boost to the Voodoo they are just too expensive if something goes wrong. Who would even buy a used sleeveless Coyote block for the basis of a new engine build? As asked a friend who runs his 4.6 in the 9''s this question and is answer was an infatic NO! This is the major bummer about these new engines. Not crazy about plastic oil pans and valve covers either but that's something I could live with. Whatever Ford puts in the new car will be reliable and impressive but they are obviously having a hard time getting there which is something one will think twice before modding and for good reason.

Ever since they stopped making the 5.4 seeing big boost on Ford V8's has been few and far between. I don't think there will be too many 20XX GT500's running 25 psi on the street which for the older engines is fairly common.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
The 5.8's apparent weak link is connecting rod design. Factor in that JDM is the only place to buy upgraded pistons for it and its easy to see where the disconnect is.

5.4s are in a better position. If i were building a dedicated drag car off that architecture, id use the 07-10 iron block.

Coyote is an outstanding platform. When building with a proper forged rotating assembly and cams ground for boost, they are downright monsters.

Yolodouchebag has his stock cammed S550 Coyote with VMP Gen3 shifting at 8k if IIRC.

Slight displacement increase, 5.2 Voodoo heads, boost ground cams, forged crossplane crank, connecting rods and pistons with a TVS 2650 rotor pack?

Sounds like a recipe for a monster power output engine. How much Ford will give it from the factory is up to them. The street and track guys will figure an easy 100hp upgrade, with 200 not much of an unrealistic number with the right mods.

Sent from my banana using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread