Could Ford Fumble GT500 Launch Any Worse?

Kaneda

BANNED
Established Member
I just don't get how Ford is handling the launch of the GT500. Nothing about it makes any sense. The most powerful Mustang ever is upon us and the best they can do is a crappy teaser that is followed up by nothing at NY Autoshow?

Part of what puts a car into culture is the marketing around it. Look how well Dodge marketed the Demon. They went ALL-IN on making it a car that was talked about not just on Autosites or amongst car enthusiasts, but heck even Good Morning America was talking about it. And they let fans know exactly when it would be revealed and orchestrated a brilliant roll-out of videos to build the hype. What has Ford done?

I just get the feeling Ford has no real plan to launch this car with any fanfare or excitement. It feels a lot like the launch of the Camaro ZL1 1LE. Amazing car...but they just dropped it into the world with no marketing what-so-ever.

I also think this statement is going to come back to bite them: "Venom Kills Demons". I just put race fuel in my Demon and the thing Dyno's 779whp. Yes, to the wheels. It's crazy what 100 octane can do when the car is calibrated for that. There's just no way the GT500 is going to come close to high-octane Demon power and absolutely no way it's going to "KILL" a Demon on anything other than a road course (which nobody cares about). Again, it's marketing that matters. Popping wheelies, fasted 1/4 mile production car ever...that's what stirs the souls of enthusiasts, not some lap time.

It's sad to see Dodge pave the way for how you launch an exciting car and then Ford can't even follow in those footsteps. I'm convinced they are stalling. It's like they know the car is going to come out and not Dethrone the Demon or ZR1. What gives?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Remember "Batman Returns"? That was one of the most hyped movies ever. When it came out, it stunk up every theater it was in. That's what the Demon has been like. Not living up to the hype at all. People are having to mod them just to get the promised stock performance. Dodge over-promised and under-delivered. It's better to under-promise and over-deliver.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I just don't get how Ford is handling the launch of the GT500. Nothing about it makes any sense. The most powerful Mustang ever is upon us and the best they can do is a crappy teaser that is followed up by nothing at NY Autoshow?

Part of what puts a car into culture is the marketing around it. Look how well Dodge marketed the Demon. They went ALL-IN on making it a car that was talked about not just on Autosites or amongst car enthusiasts, but heck even Good Morning America was talking about it. And they let fans know exactly when it would be revealed and orchestrated a brilliant roll-out of videos to build the hype. What has Ford done?

I just get the feeling Ford has no real plan to launch this car with any fanfare or excitement. It feels a lot like the launch of the Camaro ZL1 1LE. Amazing car...but they just dropped it into the world with no marketing what-so-ever.

I also think this statement is going to come back to bite them: "Venom Kills Demons". I just put race fuel in my Demon and the thing Dyno's 779whp. Yes, to the wheels. It's crazy what 100 octane can do when the car is calibrated for that. There's just no way the GT500 is going to come close to high-octane Demon power and absolutely no way it's going to "KILL" a Demon on anything other than a road course (which nobody cares about). Again, it's marketing that matters. Popping wheelies, fasted 1/4 mile production car ever...that's what stirs the souls of enthusiasts, not some lap time.

It's sad to see Dodge pave the way for how you launch an exciting car and then Ford can't even follow in those footsteps. I'm convinced they are stalling. It's like they know the car is going to come out and not Dethrone the Demon or ZR1. What gives?

Go back to a Dodge forum. lol

The GT500 will not outrun a Demon in the quarter, no one in their right mind believes that. If I wanted a one trick pony that would, I'd order a Cobra Jet, which will stomp the Demon.

The GT500 will be an animal. Unfortunately with all the heads rolling at Ford, I'm sure new and old ideas are getting tossed around to finish up this project. It'll happen, and when it does it'll be worth the wait.

D'ZR1 Messiah

Established Member
Chevy did a shitty job as well rolling out the ZR1. Not to mention the chief engineer stated that the ZR1 was not even in the plans to make for the C7 generation. Dodge has been the only one to do it right so far. But I agree that the real world outcome on the streets have not been good for the Demon.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Do we give a shit about how it’s unveiled? Or do we care about how it performs?

I'm pretty sure the Ford reveal on the 03-04 Cobra isn't what made the car sell back in it's hey day. Some grainy videos uploaded on YouTube with some pretty lame camera skills helped to get the word out along with several other YouTube videos.

What I'm trying to say here is, who cares how Ford portrays it, I only care about the non buyist opinion of the guy who threw the cash down for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Osiris

Established Member
Do we really need another thread about why this car isn't out yet?

How many of you have the 70 or 80k this car will cost readily available to plunk down RIGHT NOW?

Those of you that do are likely doing the smart thing and keeping that in some investment building value, in which case waiting only benefits you.

How many of you just want the car to be out so you can compare stats of the competition and talk shit on FB and car forums?

Those of you that do...well...Go drive what you already have. The car will come out when it's ready...Besides, it took GM 5 years to come up with a response to the Mustang not that long ago...at least Ford didn't entirely disappear, they still have competitive vehicles on sale.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I must be the only person who thought half of the demon marketing was cheesy as hell. It was really the flames that ruined it for me.

The GT350 didn't have a ton of marketing hype, it is still selling quite well. Took several years for people to stop paying the ADMs on them and the R is still trading over MSRP. I imagine when they are ready to send it the marketing will be similar to the GT350. Shitty CGI first and later we will get videos of them racing side by side around city streets or toying around with a GT350, Focus RS, ST sisters, etc.

Be patient, it will come out.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I must be the only person who thought half of the demon marketing was cheesy as hell. It was really the flames that ruined it for me.

The GT350 didn't have a ton of marketing hype, it is still selling quite well. Took several years for people to stop paying the ADMs on them and the R is still trading over MSRP. I imagine when they are ready to send it the marketing will be similar to the GT350. Shitty CGI first and later we will get videos of them racing side by side around city streets or toying around with a GT350, Focus RS, ST sisters, etc.

Be patient, it will come out.

For some reason, I feel like you are slightly GT350 biased? Not sure why.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
I don’t see how Ford has screwed up anything with the marketing of this car. Look at how many threads are about it and how many people keep discussing what they have “heard” or think about what the car is going to be.
I think Ford confirmed its coming, which quelled any doubt about the Gt500 return.
I think most people are impatient and want to know which is driving the whole idea that Ford has screwed up the reveal. I believe it’s quite the contrary, there is a ton of interest in this elusive car which will only garner more attention when it’s finally released.

CVO110

Established Member
Remember "Batman Returns"? That was one of the most hyped movies ever. When it came out, it stunk up every theater it was in. That's what the Demon has been like. Not living up to the hype at all. People are having to mod them just to get the promised stock performance. Dodge over-promised and under-delivered. It's better to under-promise and over-deliver.
Your so wrong I don't even know where to start. Only a Ford fan boy would make a statement like this.

Voltwings

Established Member
Your so wrong I don't even know where to start. Only a Ford fan boy would make a statement like this.

Not really, the fact that the ZR1 came out and is even without shouting distance of the demon in the 1/4 is pretty sad considering the demon probably couldn't hang with the ZR1 through 2 corners of any track, let alone a full lap. The demon is a one trick pony and it really isn't even all that good at it's one trick all things considered... I do think it's neat an OEM even offered something like the demon, so credit where it is due, but "neat" is about all it is.

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
basically the same thing as the 13 shelby - zero info - 662hp unveil - drop the mic

My only thing is if they're gonna maintain radio silence or not have some kinda build up then why do the stupid CGI advert.

I do however think they showed us more of the GT500 in the cobrajet photo

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Here's my take on this. IMO the Mustang base is a diehard and loyal group. They're willing to wait for the car to show up. Not everyone of course, but most. A different mind-set. So when the GT-500 does hit the showrooms, there will be no big need to market the car to the populace. Those who want it....will buy it. They're already planning. Already know it's coming. A car commercial isn't going to sway them. Same as those who wanted the GT-350 bought it. It surely wasn't marketed on TV. I think Ford knows how we think. Again, JMO.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I was just thinking of a popular movie line in Field Of Dreams. "If you build it, they will come." Seems to fit Ford's thinking perhaps. Personally, I have no issue with what Ford is, or isn't, releasing/showing or the lack of marketing thus far for the GT-500. I absolutely have no doubt it will be a home run for Ford, and please the majority of Mustang fans.

I'm remembering a number of special Mustang models that were not heavily marketed to the public prior to their release.

Users who are viewing this thread