Corner Carving, Road Course Racing and general Handling Thread

J_Roc

Established Member
If you're more interested in track day events vs drag racing then why even focus on more HP? Anything you spend on good suspension parts or tires is likely to help make you much faster around a course than additional HP. I'd agree with leaving it NA for now. No matter what FI setup you choose it's a lot of additional heat and stress you're putting into the motor. Considering oil temps are already an issue with extended sessions it seems like a significant risk, especially on a stock short block. Even NA I would suggest running some sort of oil cooler. I have the Cooltech kit, which is retardedly expensive but still much cheaper than a new motor:)
What's the general consensus on the Boss Oil Cooler that came with the Track Pack option?

TrackpackGT

Established Member
So how much is the projected "affordable" Vorshlag coilover? I'm about to buy Koni yellows, then planned on Ford Racing P springs as I daily drive mine and don't want to drop much more than an inch. I can't stand a car that rides like a bucking horse. No pun intended....

Astenax

Established Member
I have Koni yellows/Steeda sports/J&M cc plates. Steeda phb also. I just ordered 2013 Gt500 6 piston Brembos for the front, should be here friday, i cant wait! It handles awsome right now, i plan on full adj sways and control arms, maybe a watts link down the road!

mustangmike02

SVTless
Established Member
For my dad's birthday I bought him steeda ball joints, steeda bumpsteer and bilstein shocks. I just got a good deal on koni struts so I may sell the bilstein to have konis all around. Also going to buy him some mm caster camber plates. He's at 140k miles so I hope it gives him a better feel. Don't think I'll add any more suspension just yet. Any spring recommendations? Should I get new strut mounts since the mileage is high?

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
What's the general consensus on the Boss Oil Cooler that came with the Track Pack option?

They have somewhat of an issue with it leaking at the fittings and putting too much heat through the stock radiator. Many of the hard core track guys add some sort of air/oil cooler in conjunction.

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
So how much is the projected "affordable" Vorshlag coilover? I'm about to buy Koni yellows, then planned on Ford Racing P springs as I daily drive mine and don't want to drop much more than an inch. I can't stand a car that rides like a bucking horse. No pun intended....

Considering there non-coilover S197 Bilstein suspension kit is $1500 I would guess something slightly north of 2k. But just a guess.

torchred02gt

Established Member

Then go with bilsteins. I've had 2 sets of Koni yellows that failed on me now. Just switched to the vorshlag/bilstein combo. Couldn't be happier. Ride quality is much improved over the Koni yellows.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Anyone else have Koni failures? They are lifetime warrantied though. I'll have to check out the Bilsteins.

chao5.0

Established Member
My last track mustang was like 80% MM and 20% Griggs, so I'm def a fan - but those spring rates look high to me at first glance for my 90% road driven DD that I'll track once and awhile.

those rates are pulled directly from their manufacturers, the only ones that are new are the BMR's, the others have been around for some time and have been confirmed by owners on other sites.

101blur

Established Member
Then go with bilsteins. I've had 2 sets of Koni yellows that failed on me now. Just switched to the vorshlag/bilstein combo. Couldn't be happier. Ride quality is much improved over the Koni yellows.

how did they fail and did you get free replacements..?

Anyone else have Koni failures? They are lifetime warrantied though. I'll have to check out the Bilsteins.

I have Koni's now and on my previous cars I love them very very happy with them and very easy to adjust I have had Bilsteins on two of my other mustangs theyt are great and give the closest to stock style comfort, But as for performance driving I like the Koni's more.

torchred02gt

Established Member
Did you have the yellow adjustable or the orange str?

Yellows. The struts blew and 1 shock blew out on the first set that I bought used. The second new set that I bought blew the front struts out. My car isn't overly low. And I don't get to autocross very often so they mostly saw daily driving. Koni warrantied the second set.

Last edited:

chao5.0

Established Member
Are Vorshlag's Bilsteins custom valved for these cars?

no I think Vorshlag just took the time to find what springs matched those dampers, nothing custom valved there. when you start talking custom valved dampers usually its tailored to your application, the Bilsteins in thier kit are off the shelf S197 dampers just 1" shorter from Bilstein. the MCS coilovers they sell and the stuff from Cortex is when you start getting into custom valving for your car, I'm sure other companies do it as well but those are the 2 I know of off the top of my head for our cars.

101blur

Established Member
I know JRI shocks will build you basically anything you want but expect a very high price tag last I spoke with them. plan to spend around 2 Grand on each end

TheVikingRL

Established Member
Premium Member
I know JRI shocks will build you basically anything you want but expect a very high price tag last I spoke with them. plan to spend around 2 Grand on each end

The JRi kit from MM is 5k, which includes the struts/shocks, springs and CC plates specific to this setup.

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/MM-JRi-Shocks-Suspension-Kit-2005-2014-Mustang-P1474.aspx

MM doesn't recommend running coil-over's in the rear for a multitude of reasons which they mentioned in this thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...t-does-anything-beat-FRPP-complete-kits/page2

Below is a list of reasons (in no particular order) why we kept the rear spring on the axle housing and did not move it to the shock.

The OEM shock bracket on the axle housing was not designed for bump or spring loads. We prefer to not rely on the long term durability of a welded bracket that was never intended to support the spring load.

Keeping the springs directly on top of the axle tube, where Ford put them, provides for a much stiffer lower mount for the spring than the OEM shock bracket on the axle housing. Deflection of a spring mount under load would degrade handling and ride quality.

Locating a rear spring on the shock would increase friction in the shock due to increased side loads in the shock shaft and piston. Keeping the spring directly on top of the axle nearly eliminates this friction in the shock.

Rear springs can be changed in very quickly when the spring is mounted on top of the axle tube rather than over the shock.

There are fewer potential tire clearance issues when the springs are mounted on top of the axle tube.

Locating the springs on top of the axle tube places them in a location further inboard than springs located on the shocks. This inboard position provides a ratio of wheel rate to roll stiffness that is better for handling.

TrackpackGT

Established Member
Ordered Koni yellows.... Most likely going P springs next, then relo brackets, upper mounts. I have an aphb.

Last edited:

torchred02gt

Established Member
no I think Vorshlag just took the time to find what springs matched those dampers, nothing custom valved there. when you start talking custom valved dampers usually its tailored to your application, the Bilsteins in thier kit are off the shelf S197 dampers just 1" shorter from Bilstein. the MCS coilovers they sell and the stuff from Cortex is when you start getting into custom valving for your car, I'm sure other companies do it as well but those are the 2 I know of off the top of my head for our cars.

Bilsteins can be revalved. But you're correct.

torchred02gt

Established Member
We can revalve them, but by the time you modify and revalve the yellow bodied Bilsteins for motorsports use, you are within spitting range of good purpose-built motorsports dampers.
Yep. Which is my next step in a couple of years if I don't figure out a way to upgrade to a c5.

Users who are viewing this thread