Corner Carving, Road Course Racing and general Handling Thread

CobraRed_96_GT

Dept. of Redundancy Depar
Established Member
Every other topic is about 60 foot times and slicks. I'd like to introduce a thread for people to discuss their build options for things like coil-overs, Watt's links, track tires and 6-pots.

Me, my stang's very new to me so I'm still in a toss up between full coil-overs and koni yellows with some semi-stiff spring option.

So what are your builds and goals?

Last edited:

vergil

Established Member
Same here, tired of drag racing. I have the Koni yellows and steeda sport springs very nice setup I would definitely recommend. My build: Koni yellows, Steeda sport springs, Whiteline adj. lca with brackets, Ford racing adj.sway bars, J&M adjustable panhard bar, gt500 Brembos, Steeda tower Brace, 18-8 Tsw Nurburgrings, Steeda cai. I am looking to build a light and fun car for autocross and road racing plus daily fun :)

Last edited:

kevin2970

NSFW302
Established Member
There really does need to be a corner carving section!

Just picked up some goodies earlier this week :)

The GT500 Brembos are complete monsters but the downside is the lack of aftermarket support for pads/slotted rotors. I've recommended others to go towards 4 Piston ones.

Also, I'd say for 75% of people, springs and Koni Yellows will be more than enough. Quality Springs + Koni Adj is the same price as a bottom entry level coilover. Only difference being that you can't adjust the height.

koni.jpg

Last edited:

fulanititoo8198

Established Member
Awesome! I'm focusing on handling this year looking forward to the posts. I want my Coyote to handle as close to my Evo X as possible haha I was also in between coilovers and konis but many people have told me that the car will handle very well without coilovers. I also don't see myself adjusting height or paying a shop to do it on a car that's not raced often.

My setup is terrible so far, but I purposely didn't buy anything until I figured out what I needed first.
FRPP K springs, J&M Adj PHB, 6 Piston Brembos, BMR Poly UCA
Waiting to go in: GT500 strut mounts, Eibach Camber bolts , BUT not sure if I should go with a adj strut mount instead. I also need to decide on which shock/strut.

chao5.0

Established Member
If I was going with a "kit" but not going as far as coilovers I would go with the maximum motorsports road and track kit, another option is Vorshlag with their street pro kit, but it doesn't come with anti-roll bars or panhard bar or watts link but you do have 4 spring options. for me coilovers are the next step, not so much for ride height adjustable but mainly for dialing in the struts and shocks and the better selection of spring rates. I'm getting ready to redo my setup and I'm looking at DA coilovers, Watts link, and adj. front and rear anti-roll bars. after that I will decide on whether or not the car will benefit from a bump steer kit and new BOSS 302S front lower control arms.

SCalla1384

Established Member
I've been debating on getting into road race/HPDE events. I did it out in vegas in a mclaren mp4 and was a blast. But I just ordered a single turbo, I can't really imagine that being to good on the road course.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Single turbo would be great for HPDE! Throttle management has also been a big thing with these mustangs regardless of forced induction, with some nice suspension and sticky tires it would be a hell of a good time.
My last road course mustang was 600rwhp and you do have to learn to roll into the throttle after apex instead of goosing it out of it - but things like turn in, lines and braking distance all still apply in similar ways you're used to.

It depends on the turbo size, massive turbo lag could be difficult to constantly manage.

Last edited:

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I'm glad you started this thread, OP. I've asked some questions in other threads related handling and things on the topic but really didn't get too much help. As OP noted like 75% (or more) of threads are about who cut what 60' time or what Drag radials to use, etc., etc.

I started my build trying to get close to being a GT500. From what I had read over on the Forum they handled rather nicely and with a few upgrades, they were pretty good. I digress...After being dicked over by a dealer on a GT500, I decided to go the 5.0 route and build my own car with my 'thumb print' on it (backstory over!).

In any event, my build started with more of a straight line focus but I knew I needed to change a few things for the car to really handle well. Realizing my current 'go fast' mods aren't ideal for the track, I am looking for a little more to upgrade the suspension for the track, while still keeping manners for the street. One suggestion i did get was that I have too much rear tire. I get a bit of a push in turns. So i need more front tire or less rear. Also my adjustable sway bars may need some tweaking. I think my next upgrade will be Koni's (yellow) other than that, i'm not sure what else to do. See sig for mods. Any thoughts are welcome?

Last edited:

SCalla1384

Established Member
Single turbo would be great for HPDE! Throttle management has also been a big thing with these mustangs regardless of forced induction, with some nice suspension and sticky tires it would be a hell of a good time.
My last road course mustang was 600rwhp and you do have to learn to roll into the throttle after apex instead of goosing it out of it - but things like turn in, lines and braking distance all still apply in similar ways you're used to.

It depends on the turbo size, massive turbo lag could be difficult to constantly manage.

Really? Good to know, I honestly thought single would be the worst lol. I'll have to do some research. Thanks!

Zandura99

Almost there
Established Member
I am fairly happy with the suspension side of my build, the power is good... still working out the brakes. I am doing brake cooling ducts, and will try and divorce the brake resevoir from the clutch system to monitor my fluid better. I really will try and see with race pads if the stock non-brembos will work... stay tuned. With race pads and cooling ducts and proper fluid... if the current brakes will work it allows for many more wheel options, and money to go other places.

I have a mosimoto oil cooler to install this spring, already did the oil separator. I also will do the JLT rear diff reservoir, last time I was out going fast around corners my diff fluid overflowed and ended up in the wheel barrel.. that stuff stinks! The accessories that make you no faster but keep the car alive are pretty important on a car when you plan to turn!

vergil

Established Member
Hi guys will I see any benefit going with a wider tire currently have stock tires? (235/50/18 my wheels are 18-8) I just have a cai and tune I will be getting a lethal h pipe soon.

cheeser

Established Member
looks like I will be watching this thread closely as I am interested in hdpe and open track days at our local road course (High Plains Raceway)...more for fun, nothing too serious.

as money management is always key, am limited in one big upgrade per year. As I have a non performance package gt, was planning on tires/rims this year, brakes the next, and then springs/shocks the following.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
Check out the Boss section. It is 80% road racers and has tons of good info.
Nice to know and I don't mean this sarcastically but this is the 2011-2014 Mustang section (V8 & V6 alike). We shouldn't have the need to search other non-related forums for info we want to check on where its not vehicle specific.

101blur

Established Member
Thanks for posting this thread Ill be in here a lot I think.
my current suspension info for those interested.

Koni SA
bbk CC plates
Eibach sportlines
whiteline front and rear swaybar kit
Whiteline lower rear control arms and relocation brackets
Whitlines Adj panhard

And I track my car on 20" rims running Nitto nt05s 275 fronts and 305 rears I plan to switch to toyo R888 or Nto1 this summer but staying on 20" wheels

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I've been debating on getting into road race/HPDE events. I did it out in vegas in a mclaren mp4 and was a blast. But I just ordered a single turbo, I can't really imagine that being to good on the road course.

The trick is that HPDE can be fun in almost any car. You could rent a Ford Fiesta for a track day and still have a blast.

CobraRed_96_GT

Established Member
Nice to know and I don't mean this sarcastically but this is the 2011-2014 Mustang section (V8 & V6 alike). We shouldn't have the need to search other non-related forums for info we want to check on where its not vehicle specific.

This is more or less why I made the thread.

No offense to the Boss guys, but if you own a '11-'14 it would be nice if there was a place in the section you're always posting that had this kind of topic.

2011GT50

Established Member
I work close to Mid Ohio. I will be taking my 11 out there. May take my 11 mazda 3s (sport not speed) too.

Users who are viewing this thread