Coolant Crossover Tube Plug Alternatives

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Just wanted to pass some info along from a customer. I know a lot of you guys end up needing to replace this plug, here are some options he found:

Motorcraft p/n (OEM direct replacement): F3LY-8A500-A

Lower cost alternatives (will need to be cut down to fit)

Aluminum AN -10 plugs
Russell's p/n 660290
Earl's p/n 981410ERL

Steel AN -10 plug
Eaton Aeroquip p/n 900598-10S (Grainger 4VRV3)

I have not personally modified one of these and used it yet so I can't guarantee fitment but please post any experience you may have with these options here.

Last edited:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
joel i bet if any machinists would make a stainless steel piece like the one that guy jay in virginia was making for a while, they would have a consistant seller, similar to your great t-stats.

i have used the stock plug, and it works fine, but that 1/4 inch drive is really not too good. plus the stainless looks terrific underhood imo

ninety2pony

Established Member
^ what he said... i actually have one that was machined for me, i dont know how anyone can still use that 1/4 stock piece of crud after one use.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
it is usually ruined after the first time it comes off the car in my experience. both times i needed to use vice grips, the 1/4 drive just twisted. i would be all for the ones listed above, but if they need to be cut that isn't something i can do at home yet. that's why i say, the one that guy was making was great.

here are some pics of that one i bought. it uses a slightly bigger o-ring, which according to jay is a more readily available size than stock. but i have also read some things where they say the stock o-ring size is readily available. i couldn't find it in a normal parts store though.

july2012coolantflush012.png

july2012coolantflush009.png

july2012coolantflush010.png

july2012coolantflush007.png

july2012coolantflush003.png

july2012coolantflush002.png

july2012coolantflush011.png

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
The Oring is in a different spot than the OEM plug. Any chance for sealing issues?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
The Oring is in a different spot than the OEM plug. Any chance for sealing issues?

no, it works perfectly. actually, it is in the same place in relation to the top of the plug - it just has a shorter bottom section, that's why it looks like that when both are sitting next to each other.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Is the guy (Jay) still selling his stainless ones?

no, last i could tell he was trying to get a machine shop to make them as of april of this year. he had moved or somehing and no longer had access to his shop as of march of 2011. he was mostly on the lincoln boards.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Member 99COBRA2881 has been making them forever as well.

Contact info:
Anthony
(785)658-5921
Midcontinent Mustangs

Been on my Cobra 5 years now.
copcover.gif

Last edited:

tnuce10

Established Member
I am going to talk to my machinist about making these. But I am waiting to hear back from Sid...don't want to step on any toes or piss off the SVTP gods :beer:

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
I thought about doing them but to make a profit and after the distributor gets their share they'd probably end up retailing for more than the Motorcraft units :bash:

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
^ oh yeah i think the most i ever paid for one from ford (even full local over the counter retail) was about $25 (that was several years ago)

but jay's were $40 iirc, and i was happy to pay that. yes, expensive, but i do somewhat indulge my car hobby lol. but to me the whole thing was having a hex head, stainless that looked good underhood and gonna last forever. plus i wasn't about to try to weld a nut on top of the stock piece.

jm@ReischePerf

Owner & Operations Mgr
Established Member
Premium Member
Well breaking it loose the first time is the main issue. After that lots of grease or anti-seize plus minimal tightening and you won't have any problems. Unfortunately it's easy to think of it as a bolt that needs to torqued down but it really only needs as much force as capping a 2 liter.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I've got one from Jay and Anthony both.

Anthony makes a coated mild steel one and Jay used to make stainless ones.

Jay made me a special tapered seat version so I could use a direct read mechanical gauge sender without the adapter nut. In my mind these would easily bring 40 bucks no problem.

capnsender2.jpg

P1010093sendermechtemp.jpg

Newcrossovercapandtempsender.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread