converted to coilovers....

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I get the under-dampened feeling as well but it doesn't bother me too much. I think the guy I spoke to was Mark but I can't recall. I know on more than one occassion I've called there and got different answers from their techs. Say it's just me but I don't think they're all on the same page as far as passing on tech info.! Maybe Chris is the sharpest tool in the box or maybe it's something they've worked on to improve their already excellent customer service. Either way I'm happy and will upgrade the shocks and struts when the time comes. Apparently, I'm not the only one who's gotten those numbers stated for the stock bilsteins. Here's some more info. from some email correlation with their technical staff:
http://svtperformance.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2945117&postcount=13

TRBO VNM

cool, thanks for the info and link Marlon. I agree, their customer service for customers and dealers is amazing. they are one of the best I have ever dealt with. I put an order in and get an email to confirm it and then a tracking number once it ships. others should mimic their service.

I just want to make sure everyone is getting the same info. it only causes pissing matches online when you call and I call and get differing info and none of us want that. most here just want to help eachother out.

anyway, I can't wait to try my new setup this weekend. hopefully I will stop breaking my rear up.

Last edited:

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
I think I stated this before in this thread, but I have 375# springs on the stock struts in front, and it needs a little more dampening. When I push the car hard (on the street). the front feels a bit too soft. I can only feel it when I'm chasing my friends in Evos and STIs, but normal to mildly agressive driving it is fine, and the ride is great.

Chasing your friends in the EVO's and STi's :uh oh: Shouldn't you be the one out in front and they be the ones chasing you down? I thought with a coil-over set-up the tables would be turned and they'd have a hard time tracking you down.

TRBO VNM said:
anyway, I can't wait to try my new setup this weekend. hopefully I will stop breaking my rear up.

If you'd just man up and put a real tire under there you wouldn't have that problem ya know :p Don't you start tellin' me all about that live axle housing you found now... that's grounds for... well... you know what :-D

J/K

Shannon

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
FOURCED said:
Chasing your friends in the EVO's and STi's :uh oh: Shouldn't you be the one out in front and they be the ones chasing you down? I thought with a coil-over set-up the tables would be turned and they'd have a hard time tracking you down.

Shannon

Depends on where we are. Sometimes they are faster, sometimes I have to get on the brakes to keep from driving into them. Their cars are all modded as well. All things considered, it is a fairly even match.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

little continuation of the tech. I passed along this thread and the other Marlon posted to Chris at MM so he understood where I was coming from with questions. Here is his exact response and some good tech as well for us and others. I asked if I was misunderstanding things and I also responded and just mentioned that the other thread was started last november, but technology and research change constantly.

"Jason,

Taken out of context, there is allot of misinformation in those threads. I believe it is also a combination of misunderstanding and the evolution of our product line for the 1999-2004 Cobra independent rear suspension. There are a few key issues that I should comment on.

First of all, the thread started back in the beginning of 2005 when there were not many options for IRS struts and shocks on the market. The OEM 03-04 Cobra Bilsteins, OEM 00 Cobra R Bilsteins, and Bilstein HD dampers were the only options available. I believe that our recommendations were very different back when our options were limited. Since that time, we have continued to develop the IRS, and currently offer a complete line of Bilstein dampers to suit any application.

The issue of which shocks and struts work with which spring rates is simply a misunderstanding. Dampers are always a function of what spring rate is being used. When we are setting up a car for optimal performance, we first choose spring rates based upon a number of factors. Secondly we choose a damper to match. Many of the 425# and higher spring rates that are mentioned in the thread would require a Bilstein MM2 or MM3 Race valve shock and strut, and would never be recommended for a street car. For clarity, the Bilstein dampers that are currently available, and the spring rates they will work effectively with, are as follows:

OEM Bilstein 03/04 Cobra (HT) up to 375#
OEM Bilstein 03/04 Cobra (CV) up to 325#
Bilstein HD up to 350#
Bilstein MM Sport 375 - 400#
Bilstein MM Race Valve (2) 425 - 450#
Bilstein MM Race Valve (3) 450 - 525#
OEM Bilstein 00 Cobra R no longer recommended (due to soft compression valving for conventional location springs)

Selecting spring rates for the front and rear of the car is a very detailed process, and I always recommend that customers either contact us directly for this information, or consult with a dealer who is extremely familiar with setting up coilover rates for the IRS. Just because a rate worked well for someone with a specific car, doesn't mean it will work well for someone else. At the time a customer orders coilovers, their salesman will go over a series of questions with them regarding vehicle weight changes, driver preference, intended use, etc, to insure that we are providing them with the proper spring rates the first time around. Many times customers call us to determine spring rates for future orders. Typically, they do not provide us with all the information we need to select the proper rates, or they will make additional modifications to their cars before finally placing their orders, which affects our previous suggestions. For this reason we hesitate to quote spring rates to customers before they place their order.

Hope this clears everything up. Anyone that contacts Maximum Motorsports regarding spring rates and dampers, should be given this same information. If you or your customers ever have any questions, please feel free to let us know. Thanks for your continued business!

Chris Phelps
Maximum Motorsports
Sales and Technical Assistance
805-544-8748
"

hopefully this helps some others and clears anything that I may have been saying, as I am not the expert and don't always explain things correctly.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Well, as stated before this is something they must've worked on which certainly was the case. I am glad that Chris addressed your issue in a timely fashion. The evolution of their product line does reflect their options to customers and therefore their professional recommendations. The Bilstein Sports will be my choice when it's time to upgrade the factory shocks and struts. I am still very satisfied with my springs rates chosen (400/600). Ultimately, I feel in some instances choosing spring rates is more personal preference which is also something their technical staff hints at! Some people I've spoken to stated that 350# springs up front were too harsh. IMHO and personally running 400# springs up front I don't see how that could be possible. Different strokes for different folks is the fixture.

TRBO VNM

I-CAN-STANG said:
Well, as stated before this is something they must've worked on which certainly was the case. I am glad that Chris addressed your issue in a timely fashion. The evolution of their product line does reflect their options to customers and therefore their professional recommendations. The Bilstein Sports will be my choice when it's time to upgrade the factory shocks and struts. I am still very satisfied with my springs rates chosen (400/600). Ultimately, I feel in some instances choosing spring rates is more personal preference which is also something their technical staff hints at! Some people I've spoken to stated that 350# springs up front were too harsh. IMHO and personally running 400# springs up front I don't see how that could be possible. Different strokes for different folks is the fixture.

exactly. It is hard to determine "too harsh" by everyones definition. And I know Marlon, I was one that told you 350 was too harsh for my liking, but did mention that is what I think and what I experience. It is hard to determine what everyone else will think is too harsh. for you, 400 isn't. To me it would feel like riding in a low rider. While I bet it corners like a SOB, daily driver would suck for me. I don't want some soft bouncy cadillac feel, but I don't want a low rider feel either. for cornering I make up the stiffness with having the cage and think mine corners like a SOB and have tested it on some back roads down here...man it is fun going around 90 degree turns at 60+ mph

I just ordered 475's for the rear and put 325's up front last night. I think I will like the 325's, but the 475 might be too light of a spring. I am going after a better weight transfer at the drag strip and trying to soften up the blow that the IRS takes. right now I am trying to eliminate braking rear end parts because of too stiff a ride and minimal transfer. I ultimately might go with an adjustable shock/strut and then change spring rates again based on that.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Well, it all comes down to what we have in mind for our cars. You know mostly I'm trying to set it up for occasional autocrossing and superb handling on the street. Ride comfort is something I can personally part with, lol. I can see how my setup wouldn't be beneficial at the drag strip. In your case, the setup needs to be near the complete opposite. You should be hooking like a whore on fleet payday with 475's in the rear, lol. :beer:

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
Tires will also play an important part in how ride is perceived. When I (seldom) drive on street with the 555R2's the ride is much harsher than the stock Goodyear's (due to the stiffer sidewall I'm speculating).

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
MidLifeC said:
Tires will also play an important part in how ride is perceived. When I (seldom) drive on street with the 555R2's the ride is much harsher than the stock Goodyear's (due to the stiffer sidewall I'm speculating).

Agreed. Going from the Goodyears to the Kumho MXs made the ride alot stiffer.

JPIStang

Stay Classy San Diego!
Established Member
C/O's in the rear compatable with 17x10.5's and 315's?

I have 350's in the front on my vert and have it set pretty low (can't get two fingers between tire/lip) and there's this spot that I used to bottom out the suspension on, but have no problems with this setup, despite how low it is.

Users who are viewing this thread