converted to coilovers....

03gobluecobra

torque steer sucks
Established Member
What do you think of the rear shock tower brace? Is it worth getting welded in? I did the front one, and I like it.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Exactly, those washboard-like roads. It's kinda hard to explain but I feel it all over. Mostly you can just tell the suspension isn't having enough time to work in those cases. I don't feel it too much in the steering wheel though. For an 01 you'll definetely need something softer. I think with our cars being heavier the 400/600 rates compliments them nicely. I think the 99-01 guys mostly go with the 350/550 setup or lighter for DD. Honestly, if you don't have the funds yet I would save up for the coilovers. In my situation, I regret wasting money on springs.... :nonono: You only get the drop the manufacturer decides for you which really sucks!

Thanks...good observations. Yeah, once you stiffen up a Cobra to really handle well you give up a lot of compliance on real-world roads. I really like the idea of the ride height adjustability and better overall suspension smoothness C/O-converts report. Money's not the object, it's what's going to work best for a lot regular road driving. Car's not really a DD (I can walk to my office), but it's always going to see a lot of back-road bashing where the roads are twisty, but rough. So my "daily commute" is anywhere I want to go for fun. I like to do the paved road-rally thing I guess. I too regret wasting cash and I know I'll probably go C/O's eventually so there's the "rub". I think a can live with some bumps, I'm most concerned with feeling a lot of "buzz" through the chassis since the strut towers are really supporting the car with C/O's. Doesn't sound like that would be the problem. Thanks again.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
03gobluecobra said:
What do you think of the rear shock tower brace? Is it worth getting welded in? I did the front one, and I like it.
I did the steeda rear shock tower brace as cheap insurance. I know MM says you don't need to run a FSTB or RSTB but why not? It takes up little trunk space and I just like knowing it's there serving some kind of purpose! As for the difference in feel, I wish I could tell ya! I did the coilovers, RSTB and subframe brackets all in one shot. The end results were awesome though. :beer:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
That's great that they worked out for you, did you do the CC plates and Strut tower as well? Any rattles or squeeks? Looks good.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
03yllwguy said:
That's great that they worked out for you, did you do the CC plates and Strut tower as well? Any rattles or squeeks? Looks good.
thanks man! :beer:

no rattles, squeaks or squeals. The car's suspension is actually quieter now... :shrug: I was prepared to deal with issues but one hasn't arisen yet. I did the MM CC plates with a strut tower brace and rear steeda shock tower brace for cheap insurance. :thumbsup:

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
Sweet, glad it's working out for you. It's definately a plus that you can use the stock bilsteins instead of forking out for a brand new set. Looks great.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
03yllwguy said:
Sweet, glad it's working out for you. It's definately a plus that you can use the stock bilsteins instead of forking out for a brand new set. Looks great.
Yeah, I actually bought another set of used 03 shocks and struts as a backup set. I love the look, feel and comfort of the coilovers. Thanks :beer:

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
You will get some squeaks/noises at some point. Dry urethane and bolts loosening etc... and the fun of finding and fixing them. I have MM 375/575 with stock struts and Y2k Cobra R shocks, KB strut tower brace and shock tower brace, lower chassis brace, welded subs, jacking rails and matrix brace and the steeda irs support plates and 4 bolt CC plates, Cobra R tie rods, HD endlinks, Eibach tubular sway bars front and rear and the usual buttload of urethane bushings. Lots of stuff to make noises after a year or so. I have tracked down most of those noises that showed up. I would still do it again. I am also going to replace my urethane rack bushings with aluminum. Btw, I also have CCw's and they transmit more noise than heavier wheels.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
3Pete said:
You will get some squeaks/noises at some point. Dry urethane and bolts loosening etc... and the fun of finding and fixing them. I have MM 375/575 with stock struts and Y2k Cobra R shocks, KB strut tower brace and shock tower brace, lower chassis brace, welded subs, jacking rails and matrix brace and the steeda irs support plates and 4 bolt CC plates, Cobra R tie rods, HD endlinks, Eibach tubular sway bars front and rear and the usual buttload of urethane bushings. Lots of stuff to make noises after a year or so. I have tracked down most of those noises that showed up. I would still do it again. I am also going to replace my urethane rack bushings with aluminum. Btw, I also have CCw's and they transmit more noise than heavier wheels.
Noise doesn't bother me! I do agree with something SVT4J told me which is the 400/600 setup is not for everyone. Delrin bushings is the route I'm headed. Different strokes for different folks I guess. If I wanted a complete cushy and quiet ride I would've bought a Lexus instead. :pepper:

3Pete

Midnight Rambler
Established Member
I agree with you on that. My only point is that there is a certain amount of noise to be expected with big suspension mods.

geepaw

Heck yes I did it!
Established Member
I was told 375/600 was about the max..this is my set-up. I am real picky about suspensions (once when I had time I drove 750 miles to ride in a tuner's car in hunington beach before I would buy their kit)....IMO I wish I would have gone up to the sports as I think the stock dampers are bit overworked for the spring rate. It is subtle but I feel it.
So all you thinking of doing stiff rates with higher mileage cars should think a bit before doing it. I plan to go to the MM sport valves bils next year.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
3Pete said:
I agree with you on that. My only point is that there is a certain amount of noise to be expected with big suspension mods.

My 350z with KW-3 coilovers use to creak....I learned to live with it cuase it handled like it was on rails! I wish my Cobra could take turns as fast as that car.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
phillySVT said:
My 350z with KW-3 coilovers use to creak....I learned to live with it cuase it handled like it was on rails! I wish my Cobra could take turns as fast as that car.

It should be able to... what suspension have you done?

As far as suspension mods in your sig....I don't see any!

mrose75

Established Member
Going with coil overs when I get back. Plus the rest of the road and track grip box. Glad to hear it's all working out well for everyone.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
You can go lower than that!!!!!!!

Looks great man, glad you finally got it all finished up! Its about time!!

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
DKS2814V said:
You can go lower than that!!!!!!!

Looks great man, glad you finally got it all finished up! Its about time!!
:lol:

Thanks man! ;-) I like the stance for right now but will probably lower it a bit more soon.

TRBO VNM

hey marlon, do you remember what tech you talked to at MM? I spoke to Chris today about changing my spring rate for more of a drag setup and I brought up your experience and that someone did recommend over 375 to you with a stock bilstein strut. He said he would be shocked if anyone there recommended that for the front. That nobody should have ever stated it. Anyway, just curious if it was someone I typically deal with. Basically it has to do with the dampening characteristics with the stock strut. it just can't handle anying over the 375 for a long period of time.

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
hey marlon, do you remember what tech you talked to at MM? I spoke to Chris today about changing my spring rate for more of a drag setup and I brought up your experience and that someone did recommend over 375 to you with a stock bilstein strut. He said he would be shocked if anyone there recommended that for the front. That nobody should have ever stated it. Anyway, just curious if it was someone I typically deal with. Basically it has to do with the dampening characteristics with the stock strut. it just can't handle anying over the 375 for a long period of time.

I think I stated this before in this thread, but I have 375# springs on the stock struts in front, and it needs a little more dampening. When I push the car hard (on the street). the front feels a bit too soft. I can only feel it when I'm chasing my friends in Evos and STIs, but normal to mildly agressive driving it is fine, and the ride is great.

Ashley

Last edited:

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
TRBO VNM said:

I don't remember the guy I spoke with, however, he recommended 375#s up front if its more or less for daily driving/street duties. For a more aggressive set up, I was told that a 425# set up front would be ideal, however very harsh, and not ideal for the stock struts. He said it was possible, but not practical.....

I have 375/600 and love it. Sometimes I get the feeling that its too soft though! :pepper:

Users who are viewing this thread