converted to coilovers....

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Well, I finally did it! After asking countless questions to members of the board and MM techs I decided to go ahead with what I had initially purchased! I pulled the H&R race springs and installed the MM coilovers front and rear (400/600). Though many have warned me of a harsh ride and poor street quality with the spring rates chosen, I have to admit they were a bit off beam! The 400/600 setup on stock bilsteins rides light years smoother than the car did on the conventional setup. The harshness is felt a little over quick bumps in the road. It's surely nothing that rattles your teeth and all the other gestures used to detour your decision making process. MM techs informed me that a 400/600 setup was very streetable and good for occasional track time. They also said the stock bilsteins can handle up to a 425/650 setup but did not recommend that for my usage. Seriously, I think this is the best mod I've done to my car yet. It feels totally new again! :pepper: I also installed a Steeda rear shock tower brace and Steeda IRS brackets, welded in. Big props to Billy (WISEGUY) for fitting me into his busy schedule and getting her done! You're the man bro.... :beer:

Last edited:

Turkish

The Perpetrator
Established Member
Sweet! how much you want for the H&R's? PM me if your looking to sell.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Thanks guys!

I'm gonna keep the H&R's as a backup for now. I'll be sure to let you know if I decide to sell them though.

Todd03Blown

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
Well, I finally did it! After asking countless questions to members of the board and MM techs I decided to go ahead with what I had initially purchased! I pulled the H&R race springs and installed the MM coilovers front and rear (400/600). Though many have warned me of a harsh ride and poor street quality with the spring rates chosen, I have to admit they were a bit off beam! The 400/600 setup on stock bilsteins rides light years smoother than the car did on the conventional setup. The harshness is felt a little over quick bumps in the road. It's surely nothing that rattles your teeth and all the other gestures used to detour your decision making process. MM techs informed me that a 400/600 setup was very streetable and good for occasional track time. They also said the stock bilsteins can handle up to a 425/650 setup but did not recommend that for my usage. Seriously, I think this is the best mod I've done to my car yet. It feels totally new again! :pepper: I also installed a Steeda rear shock tower brace and Steeda IRS brackets, welded in. Big props to Billy (WISEGUY) for fitting me into his busy schedule and getting her done! You're the man bro.... :beer:

I'll get some pics up tomorrow after the MACA 2nd annual gtg! :rockon:
Thanks for the info. I am surprised the stock Bil's can handle those CO rates; but that is good to know!! Congrats on a nice setup!!!

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Todd03Blown said:
Thanks for the info. I am surprised the stock Bil's can handle those CO rates; but that is good to know!! Congrats on a nice setup!!!

400\600 is about the limit for a daily driver. You really start to shorten their life above this point. At 400\600 you can feel the car is slightly underdamped when pushed hard.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Buy alumnium rack bushings if you don't have them already.
I have some urethanes in place now but was thinking about getting the aluminum rack bushings and the MM solid steering shaft. :thumbsup:

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I have some urethanes in place now but was thinking about getting the aluminum rack bushings and the MM solid steering shaft. :thumbsup:

DO it. Even the alumnium bushings alone will be a dramatic improvement.

99 KOBRA

Speed Racer
Established Member
I agree with you. I recently had front/rear MM coil overs installed with rates of 450/575. I also had Bilstein Sports, MM plates, and MM flsfc installed. THe car handles pretty good for one weighing 3,650 lbs.!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I-Can-Stang...good info. I'm sure Jersey roads are probably about as bad a D.C. roads for DD. You mentioned some increased in harshness over "quick bumps", I'm assuming you mean rough washboard-like roads...which we see a lot of. I've heard this elsewhere. Do you feel this primarily in the steering wheel, seat or all over? I'm still deciding between H&R Race, H&R Sports and MM C/O's for my '01 which will be a DD for next year or so. Hate to make her a "buzz box". Figure I'd use slightly lighter springs rates than your Term. A couple of follow-up impresssions after you've drive her awhile would be helpful for all making similar decisions. Thanks. :beer:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
I-Can-Stang...good info. I'm sure Jersey roads are probably about as bad a D.C. roads for DD. You mentioned some increased in harshness over "quick bumps", I'm assuming you mean rough washboard-like roads...which we see a lot of. I've heard this elsewhere. Do you feel this primarily in the steering wheel, seat or all over? I'm still deciding between H&R Race, H&R Sports and MM C/O's for my '01 which will be a DD for next year or so. Hate to make her a "buzz box". Figure I'd use slightly lighter springs rates than your Term. A couple of follow-up impresssions after you've drive her awhile would be helpful for all making similar decisions. Thanks. :beer:
Exactly, those washboard-like roads. It's kinda hard to explain but I feel it all over. Mostly you can just tell the suspension isn't having enough time to work in those cases. I don't feel it too much in the steering wheel though. For an 01 you'll definetely need something softer. I think with our cars being heavier the 400/600 rates compliments them nicely. I think the 99-01 guys mostly go with the 350/550 setup or lighter for DD. Honestly, if you don't have the funds yet I would save up for the coilovers. In my situation, I regret wasting money on springs.... :nonono: You only get the drop the manufacturer decides for you which really sucks!

Users who are viewing this thread