Controversial...is this wrong?

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Ok, SVTP. Tell me what a bad person/husband I am...

Five years ago my wife and I made the decision that she would quit her job (paid about $80k/yr) to stay at home with our kids, who at the time were 3 and 5 years old. She has stayed at home for the past 5 years but over the past 2 years she has worked part-time for some extra spending money (making anywhere from $700 - $1400 per month). Money is not an issue for us at the moment. My salary covers all expenses, all fun activities and activities for the kids, and retirement, plus we have over 6 months worth of salary saved "just in case."

Now that the kids are older (8 and 10 years old) I have been encouraging her over the past year or so to think about going back to work full-time. I told her to get a mid-level job without stress where she can go in at 8 and leave at 5. She won't make $80k, but she would make $50k without the stress or longer hours. She seems content to just let me continue to bear the financial burden; again, I provide everything for my family, no questions asked. It is my responsibility. She is not working this summer and I really want her to return to work in the fall after spending a sun drenched, Vegas summer poolside with the kids while I go to work everyday like clockwork (LOL). She seems resistant to the idea of going back full-time. The kids are not an issue before/after school so I'm a little ticked because I feel like I'm being taken advantage of. There is zero pressure for her to return to work. I have given my family a comfortable life, they deserve it. We aren't in financial stress.

So I am struggling with how the heck to get her to realize how happy it would make me for her to go back to work. She has had a nice run, we sacrificed a lot by her staying home the past five years.

One thought that crossed my mind was to buy the GT350 from the dealer down the street, as that would give her some motivation to get back to work, like "oh boy, we've got this car payment now, I need to do something to help with the household income." Is that wrong? That I would try to force her hand by putting a cobra in the driveway? LOL

And before you guys say anything about "just talk to her; rationalize with her." I know there are a lot of people out there who struggle with how to tell their wives that the gravy train needs to come to stop, but don't know how to do it without having holy hell unleashed on them at home! LOL

Coiled03

Established Member
So, over the entirety of the past five years, you never had a conversation with her about what would happen when the five year "grace period" was over? Seems like now would be a good time, as opposed to the passive-aggressive move of buying a car to get her attention.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
If she was knocking down 80k a year before staying home she most likely has an education. Talk about a waste of talent and time spent earning that degree.
My sister says she is considering staying home for multiple years when she has a kid. She’s a masters student with a great job, told her not to give up all that.
On the flip side I have no kids, so what the hell do I know.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
My wife did not work full time until my kids were in high school. I'm not a fan of her working now. Being home, and being a mom is a full time job.

She is working now because she has always been career driven. She made a personal sacrifice to stay home with our children. I loved that my girls have their mom, and not a stranger taking care of them.

This is a woman with an MBA and other Masters degrees. We have $250,000 invested into her college alone. I still don't mind her being at home.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but a stay at home parent is not riding a gravy train. That parent is working long hours, receiving no pay, and is normally not appreciated.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Assuming you both want to enjoy retirement together, she has to understand that you’ll be able to do that much more easily ( and likely much sooner ) if she goes back to work and you bank her entire paycheck - or at least a sizable chunk of it.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
If you're 12 then buying the GT350 to get her to realize she needs to work is the correct approach.

If you're an adult, drop the passive aggressive BS and talk to her.

LOL tell me how you really feel? Of course I wouldn't buy the car just to give her motivation, but wtf! Thinking outside the box.

So, over the entirety of the past five years, you never had a conversation with her about what would happen when the five year "grace period" was over? Seems like now would be a good time, as opposed to the passive-aggressive move of buying a car to get her attention.

There was no grace period. When she left her job it was to focus on raising a family. I don't regret our decision, but the time is now here to get back at it. And I agree, passive aggressive car buying is not the answer. Just wanted to throw it in there to "sweeten" the story.

What does she do all day? My wife gets bored if she doesn't work.

She doesn't clean, I can tell you that! :)

If she was knocking down 80k a year before staying home she most likely has an education. Talk about a waste of talent and time spent earning that degree.
My sister says she is considering staying home for multiple years when she has a kid. She’s a masters student with a great job, told her not to give up all that.
On the flip side I have no kids, so what the hell do I know.

Yes, she has an education and skills/contacts to transition back into her field in a lesser role with less stress. We paid off the school loans a few years ago.

I only mention the car because I've been looking at GT350's for a while but haven't pulled the trigger. She was working a part-time gig that ends at the end of the school year so she will stay at home with the kids this summer. BTW, my current car is a 2007 Accord with 110k on the clock. Talk about sacrifice! Thing runs like a champ, but would love to "spoil" myself a bit. Think I deserve it.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
You’re ****ed.

Give em an inch and they’ll take the whole goddam thing.

You’d be surprised how motivated people can become with piano wire wrapped around the troat region.
Just sayin boyo.

I like your style. If you don't work, you don't eat. LOL

I would simply explain to her that if she went back to work full time, it would take some of the stress and burden off of you.

If she worked before, and stopped to raise the kids, that should not be a free Pass to retirement. She should contribute as well. It’s a partnership.

This is the most sensible answer. And I've seen others (including my older brother) fall prey to this.

My wife did not work full time until my kids were in high school. I'm not a fan of her working now. Being home, and being a mom is a full time job.

She is working now because she has always been career driven. She made a personal sacrifice to stay home with our children. I loved that my girls have their mom, and not a stranger taking care of them.

This is a woman with an MBA and other Masters degrees. We have $250,000 invested into her college alone. I still don't mind her being at home.

Maybe I'm a traditionalist, but a stay at home parent is not riding a gravy train. That parent is working long hours, receiving no pay, and is normally not appreciated.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Never regretted our decision. It has taken some of the non-financial stress off of me and she has done a great job with the kids. Still, now is the time to get back at it.

Pics of wife.

Sent from my Schlong using the svtperformance.com mobile app

GFY LOL

Assuming you both want to enjoy retirement together, she has to understand that you’ll be able to do that much more easily ( and likely much sooner ) if she goes back to work and you bank her entire paycheck - or at least a sizable chunk of it.

Ding...ding...ding! I'm 42 and have been talking about retirement and our nest egg quite a bit lately, trying to get her to wrap her head around the fact that if she works we will be set on retirement a lot earlier in life! No comprende!

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
I'd tell her you are not financially comfortable with the amount of income coming in and would like it if she got a job to help "save" a little more money or something.

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Let your wife do what makes her happy and support her. That Simple. My goal if for my wife to not ever feel she has to work if she doesnt want to. I support what ever she wants to do.

Last edited:

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I should also mention that I am not an absentee father. From the second I get home to the second I go to bed, its about the kids. I give them my everything, financially and otherwise. I am present and accounted for. I also have a flexible job so if something comes up, dad is right there no matter what time of day.

College is taken care of for them too through my job at the university I work at. Putting it all out there for my family. :)

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
Let your wife do what makes het happy and support her. That Simple. My goal if for my wife to not ever feel she has to work if she doesnt want to. I support what ever she wants to do.

Not sure about this...not 100% on board. Would she do the same for you? If you said you wanted to turn wrenches all day and watch the ball game while she works, she would be down with that?

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
Not sure about this...not 100% on board. Would she do the same for you? If you said you wanted to turn wrenches all day and watch the ball game while she works, she would be down with that?
My wife kinda did for me. Quit work, went back to school at 45 years old. She was all about what made me happy even though it was hard financially. Shes a keeper.

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I like your style. If you don't work, you don't eat. LOL

This is the most sensible answer. And I've seen others (including my older brother) fall prey to this.

Never regretted our decision. It has taken some of the non-financial stress off of me and she has done a great job with the kids. Still, now is the time to get back at it.

GFY LOL

Ding...ding...ding! I'm 42 and have been talking about retirement and our nest egg quite a bit lately, trying to get her to wrap her head around the fact that if she works we will be set on retirement a lot earlier in life! No comprende!

That’s not what I said. Listen up because being soft is what got you into this mess.

You don’t work you don’t breath no more.

It’s actually quite simple. Also you might want the kiddos around when you do this. You don’t want the little bastids to think they will get a free ride. Show em how the world works.

Users who are viewing this thread