"connected cars" automatically reporting to insurance companies

Pribilof

Life's Better @ Elevation
Established Member

Awful. Yet another reason to hate new cars.

ETA more info from the original New York Times article:

Verisk: Their website lists partnerships with GM, Ford, Honda, Hyundai

Kia, Subaru and Mitsubishi also contribute to the LexisNexis “Telematics Exchange,”

How to Find Out What Your Car Is Doing

See the data your car is capable of collecting with this tool: Vehicle Privacy Report.

Check your connected car app, if you use one, to see if you are enrolled in one of these programs.

Do an online search for “privacy request form” alongside the name of your vehicle’s manufacturer. There should be instructions on how to request information your car company has about you.

Request your LexisNexis report: LexisNexis Consumer Disclosure - LexisNexis Risk Solutions Consumer Disclosure

Request your Verisk report: FCRA

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
It's bad enough when someone agrees to be monitored by insurance, this is just an invasion of privacy.

Next thing you know the car will tattle to police about what is being said in the car or on a connected phone.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I thought I came across an article yesterday where they implied smart phones are doing or were capable of the same thing.

Blown 89

Established Member
Life has become so easy people are willing to pay extra to fork over their freedoms. Yeah, you save a tiny bit of money on your car insurance but you paid out the nose at the dealer for the system that reports everything to your overlords.

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
You may have been enrolled and not know it because salespeople get bonuses on it.

LexisNexis is a New York-based global data broker with a “Risk Solutions” division that caters to the auto insurance industry and has traditionally kept tabs on car accidents and tickets.

In response to questions from The New York Times, G.M. confirmed that it shares “select insights” about hard braking, hard accelerating, speeding over 80 miles an hour and drive time of Smart Driver enrollees with LexisNexis and another data broker that works with the insurance industry called Verisk.

Customers turn on Smart Driver, said Ms. Lucich, the G.M. spokeswoman, “at the time of purchase or through their vehicle mobile app.” It is possible that G.M. drivers who insisted they didn’t opt in were unknowingly signed up at the dealership, where salespeople can receive bonuses for successful enrollment of customers in OnStar services, including Smart Driver, according to a company manual.

General Motors is not the only automaker sharing driving behavior. Kia, Subaru and Mitsubishi also contribute to the LexisNexis “Telematics Exchange,” a “portal for sharing consumer-approved connected car data with insurers.” As of 2022, the exchange, according to a LexisNexis news release, has “real-world driving behavior” collected “from over 10 million vehicles.” Verisk also claims to have access to data from millions of vehicles and partnerships with major automakers, including Ford, Honda and Hyundai.

Two of these automakers said they were not sharing data or only limited data. Subaru shares odometer data with LexisNexis for Subaru customers who turn on Starlink and authorize that data be shared “when shopping for auto insurance,” said a spokesman, Dominick Infante.

Ford “does not transmit any connected vehicle data to either partner,” said a spokesman, Alan Hall, but partnered with them “to explore ways to support customers” who want to take part in usage-based insurance programs. Ford will share driving behavior from a car directly with an insurance company, he said, when a customer gives explicit consent via an in-vehicle touch screen.

The other automakers all have optional driver-coaching features in their apps — Kia, Mitsubishi and Hyundai have “Driving Score,” while Honda and Acura have “Driver Feedback” — that, when turned on, collect information about people’s mileage, speed, braking and acceleration that is then shared with LexisNexis or Verisk, the companies said in response to questions from The New York Times.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I always said onstar and the others would come to some big brothet shit...**** all that

Hate that my 2020 ford knows too much

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
There are antennas located in the front fenders of the C8. Some are for the Chevy App, or GPS, and some are needed for firmware to update to the car's ECU. There is work being done to determine which antennas can be blocked/disconnected, so speed, braking, location data cannot be transmitted.....

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Well this makes me feel a little better given I didn't consent or push anything that would sign me up for that when I was setting up my new Escape ST.

Ford “does not transmit any connected vehicle data to either partner,” said a spokesman, Alan Hall, but partnered with them “to explore ways to support customers” who want to take part in usage-based insurance programs. Ford will share driving behavior from a car directly with an insurance company, he said, when a customer gives explicit consent via an in-vehicle touch screen.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Yep, just commented on another thread. I don't want unauthorized monitoring of my car's activity. Simple things like having an app to remotely start your car, or tell you one of the tire has low pressure are the "hooks" which make the application look useful. What undisclosed sharing contains is the part that bothers me....

Users who are viewing this thread