Comp Cams stage 3 - Any reason not to?

a94cobra

Established Member
Got the motor out already. Other than it's expensive, any reason not to go with the comp cams stage 3?

Car has TB, CAI, LT, Pulley

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
There have been people claim higher IAT because of valve overlap, I let you know in a week or so. Also the HP gain vs $ is a little disappointing.

a94cobra

Established Member
We are at the point of putting the motor back together. Basically waiting on me to choose a cam. MMR claims 55-65hp. I either spend money on cams or stay factory. Same money for a stage 1 or 2, for half the hp of the stage 3. Any other drawbacks besides cost?

cj428mach

Established Member
We are at the point of putting the motor back together. Basically waiting on me to choose a cam. MMR claims 55-65hp. I either spend money on cams or stay factory. Same money for a stage 1 or 2, for half the hp of the stage 3. Any other drawbacks besides cost?

Driveability, loss of low end torque, more difficult to tune.

If I was you I'd save that money and have the motor go back in with a bigger blower. You'll get way more power and the car will drive like stock until you hit the pedal.

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
I ran them on a TVS supercharged 2010 GT and loved them. I think the part number was 127550?? The car was a PITA to drive in stop and go traffic though.

[video=youtube_share;9LBypacV_4g]http://youtu.be/9LBypacV_4g[/video]

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I got a set of Comp Stage 3 myself. Cost was the real downside as you noted. My car's not running yet so no feedback just yet. I got it because I wanted that awesome idle and it will add HP too so it's not a total loss. If I loose low end torque that's fine, maybe get some traction. From what I hear drivability will be based on how aggressively you degree the cams and then how much time is spent on the tune getting it to run smooth. If you degree the cams overly aggressive it'll be beyond what a tune can compensate. Still trying to figure out where to degree mine myself.
If you degree them with a lot of overlap you'll get reversion at idle and I think even part throttle driving which creates higher IAT2 temps but I also got a killer chiller so hoping that's not an issue especially when I get on it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I ran them on a TVS supercharged 2010 GT and loved them. I think the part number was 127550?? The car was a PITA to drive in stop and go traffic though.

[video=youtube_share;9LBypacV_4g]http://youtu.be/9LBypacV_4g[/video]

Where specs did you degree those cams to?

Josie Wales

Go Fast Club
Established Member
To be honest I don't know. I paid someone to install them, LTHs, and OR exhaust. The car was dyno tuned afterward by the same guy here in Germany.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
To be honest I don't know. I paid someone to install them, LTHs, and OR exhaust. The car was dyno tuned afterward by the same guy here in Germany.

No worries I was just curious. I'm sure you noticed if you go on youtube and listen to all the Comp Stage 3 cams in 03 Cobras there is a variance in the chop sound at idle. Some sound like they have more aggressive cams than others but they all list as the comp stage 3. No doubt they were all degreed slightly different. Wish I had those specs to make more informed decision as to where I want to degree mine.

MalcolmV8

Established Member

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I bought the stage 3 comp cams and degreed them per the cam card, I also called comp and told them my setup to see if they would recommend anything different. He said that the biggest and best cam we make for a supercharged application like yours. He said that degree the cams per the cam card would produce the best hp results.

I was really hoping that also would produce the idle sound I was looking for to. I've heard a lot that sound great and some don't sound near as aggressive as other. I guess I'll find out in a few days

intermatic

Established Member
I have the comp stage 3s. The car sounds awesome. I couldnt tell you how much power they netted me because of all the other mods that got installed at the same time.
As everyone else has mentioned before me, it's a costly mod. I do love the way the car lopes and the car's driveability is just fine (my car is my daily).
Unfortunately however, I do find myself occasionally regretting it and wishing I had the money to put towards fuel system upgrades to go E85.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
He said that degree the cams per the cam card would produce the best hp results.

Yeah they do say that. They'd have to though, sales and marketing. Every knowledgeable engine person I speak to though says more to be had through more aggressive degreeing. Of course you give up drivability so it's finding that magic mark that works for you. Some what of a guessing game unless you're gonna pull it all apart and try something different.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I'll post a video up when I get it fired up, and we can compare, sure would suck if it idled like stock.

If your going to have a hot rod is should sound like one:pepper:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I'll post a video up when I get it fired up, and we can compare, sure would suck if it idled like stock.

If your going to have a hot rod is should sound like one:pepper:

lol no way it'll sound like stock but some definitely sound more aggressive than others. I agree it should sound as bad as it is :)

Users who are viewing this thread