Comp Cams stage 3 - Any reason not to?

intermatic

Established Member
No i didn't. I had my shop do it along with the engine build last winter. I wish I could be of more help or offer some advice instead of just posting a short vid of the end product lol

stangfreak

Established Member
I love the sound of cammed motors.

I'm not an expert on cams. But I know you do loose low end tq. Your just pushing power band up so to say. My question is, is there a way to get custom cams and ask for them to make the car very snappy and pull hard through out the entire power band?

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I'm going to be on E85 so if I loose some low end it would be a good thing, traction is going to be tough on the streets. Basically your just moving the curve up and the motor will make up for the loss on the bottom end, to the top end with more HP and RPM

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My question is, is there a way to get custom cams and ask for them to make the car very snappy and pull hard through out the entire power band?

Yes but it won't be nearly as aggressive and that signature idle we all love won't be there. I know it's kinda silly going for that sound but I love it. Old school muscle car sound in modern technology lol.

stangfreak

Established Member
Yes but it won't be nearly as aggressive and that signature idle we all love won't be there. I know it's kinda silly going for that sound but I love it. Old school muscle car sound in modern technology lol.

I thought it would be more aggressive if we ask to make it more snappy and or responsive along with more power. That cam idle will be gone? I would love to learn this Malcolm. How does this work?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I thought it would be more aggressive if we ask to make it more snappy and or responsive along with more power. That cam idle will be gone? I would love to learn this Malcolm. How does this work?

I have a pretty good idea but I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough on cams to be educating others. I'm still doing a lot of learning myself. I'll let one of the more experienced cam guys field this one or if you're interested just google the topic. It's what I've been doing and reading up as much as I can on cams.

nastynotch483

Established Member
The Comp stage 3 blower cams are a great cam for an off the shelf cam! And Yes cams in these cars do cost a good bit but on avg we see net gains of 40-50 Hp. The Problem many people run into with these cams with tuning and even power loss is most shops don't know how or just don't degree them! as for sound they really sound awesome I think with a set of long tubes and x pipe. As for parts you will need Springs .retainers, Head studs, and a good head gasket. Again cant stress enough to degree them! As for drive ability they can be tricky to tune but that's is all in the tuner. Good luck Guys!!

Last edited:

nastynotch483

Established Member
Yes the cam card is pretty spot on! We have played with a few sets over the years and with retarding/advancing them and have found out that the cam card is pretty spot on! We have also seen many people Bring in camed 4v cars that another shop has just dropped in and did not degree them and have lost power! Good luck hope it turns out good and make some more power!!

a94cobra

Established Member
Are you guys checking PTV clearance when installing these cams with factory pistons?

nastynotch483

Established Member
On the comp stage 3 106460 blower/nitrous you should check the PTV! But the 106460 Is an out of the box cam so on most cars you will not run into any kind of valve relief Problems!

cozmo2806

up in dat azz
Established Member
On the comp stage 3 106460 blower/nitrous you should check the PTV! But the 106460 Is an out of the box cam so on most cars you will not run into any kind of valve relief Problems!

Brandon, I've found if you try to advance the IC past 114, it gets dangerously into the argued minimum clearance. I personally think this may be why comp specifies the 114 centerline. Keep in mind this is considering a stock motor.

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Yes the cam card is pretty spot on! We have played with a few sets over the years and with retarding/advancing them and have found out that the cam card is pretty spot on!

Could you give me details, I'm very curious on this. So you degreed the cams per the card and dyno'd the car right? Then did what? advance the intake cams alone, re-dyno and saw a loss in performance? Then retarded the intake cams from the card and still saw a loss? What about exhaust cams? did you move those around? or where you moving intake and exhaust cams together?
I mean there are so many combos you could play with adjusting those cams and dynoing for weeks on end figuring it all out. Curious how in depth you actually went and how do you account for weather and engine temp differences? I've seen my car make over 15 hp difference on pulls when bone stock and over 45 whp between pulls highly modded without changing a thing between pulls. That makes something as sensitive as looking for a few hp between cam degrees extremely hard I would think.

Thanks for info.

Users who are viewing this thread