cobra r seattle race video

TimB

Established Member
Robert

It's a late model stock car , offset chassis converted to a road course car , runs a roller cammed chevy small block , the owner says aprox 600 hp ,weighs 2700lbs and runs on hoosier slicks . It's a nice clean car and the driver is a nice guy, fast and drives clean. I have a rear facing camera that I will post soon.

Tim

TimB

Established Member
Rear camera view of the same race [ame="http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPGF7MUSq0c"]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPGF7MUSq0c[/ame]

cobraR #217

Established Member
awsome vidio's Tim
send copies so I can run them in the showroom.
your Koni's are handling the bumps quite well considering,has anyone got any outside shots at seattle.I will have to convince Rick to bring the GT up to run this track they would have a ball racing with you.
:beer::burnout:
Neil
00R "Race" now retired
05GT "Race"
08GT500

TimB

Established Member
Thanks

I was thinking the same thing , I just have to figure out how to edit the front and rear cameras into a split screen .

Tim

crystalwhitesvt

whitesnake
Established Member
How often do you race at Pacific Raceways and if you do it more than once a year, when will you be coming back. I would love to see your car run at the track

TimB

Established Member
I have run 3 races this year at Pacific , the next conference race is Sept 27, 28 which I may run , it just depends on how the car prep is going for the 12 hr race at Portland Oct 25th

Tim

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Last edited:

TimB

Established Member
Robert

Thanks for your great comments, as to the 600hp figure , thats what the driver thinks the car makes , but based on what I know my car makes I think he's most likely in the 550 hp range. The full race report is after I passed him I built up about a 4 sec lead but with around 7 laps to go I got held up in traffic and he ended up right behind me . He got me and I got blocked in traffic and he ended up winning by around 5 sec . The biggest problem I have is even in a sprint race because of the weight of the R my tires start to go off near the end and my lap times fall off.

Tim

Billy Madrid

Established Member
Tim drives his car consistently to within 1% of its capabilities and I doubt that anybody (except possibly Hiro) could extract any more from it in a Sprint race. His personal capabilities may tend to carry the car higher in a race group then it should be. I am not knocking the car at all, it is a fantastic piece of kit, but in reality it has no place being ahead of a well driven, lighter and higher power purpose built tube chassis car.

I don't know how many of you have driven Pacific Raceways but the track has a lot of fairly technical transitions with lots of grade and asphalt changes. Tim's Cobra is a wonderfully developed racecar but mid to high speed finesse transitionals are not its forte. The long sweeper coming on to the pit straight (if I recall correctly) is very coarse asphalt, basically a tire grinding machine. I think that is why the car uses up its tires faster than his tube chassis competition when it is being driven to the max. In my mind I think of the car as more of a fist in a velvet glove. Get through the corner smoothly and balanced, pull the trigger and unleash the thunder (wow, thats almost like an ad copy writer would put it!!!).

The tube chassis car is designed with a lot better C.O.G.'s (even though it is an offset chassis) and its substantially lighter weight, flat downforce creating body and more power means that it is a lot gentler on the tires so they stay more effective longer. As well the tube chassis is probably stiffer than the Cobra R shell so the tires work closer to design plan.

I love the great video.

Eric

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Tim drives his car consistently to within 1% of its capabilities and I doubt that anybody (except possibly Hiro) could extract any more from it in a Sprint race. His personal capabilities may tend to carry the car higher in a race group then it should be. I am not knocking the car at all, it is a fantastic piece of kit, but in reality it has no place being ahead of a well driven, lighter and higher power purpose built tube chassis car.

I don't know how many of you have driven Pacific Raceways but the track has a lot of fairly technical transitions with lots of grade and asphalt changes. Tim's Cobra is a wonderfully developed racecar but mid to high speed finesse transitionals are not its forte. The long sweeper coming on to the pit straight (if I recall correctly) is very coarse asphalt, basically a tire grinding machine. I think that is why the car uses up its tires faster than his tube chassis competition when it is being driven to the max. In my mind I think of the car as more of a fist in a velvet glove. Get through the corner smoothly and balanced, pull the trigger and unleash the thunder (wow, thats almost like an ad copy writer would put it!!!).

The tube chassis car is designed with a lot better C.O.G.'s (even though it is an offset chassis) and its substantially lighter weight, flat downforce creating body and more power means that it is a lot gentler on the tires so they stay more effective longer. As well the tube chassis is probably stiffer than the Cobra R shell so the tires work closer to design plan.

I love the great video.

Eric

Hence the reason Tim has so much fun passing all of that 'better' equipment! ;-):poke:

:coolman:

BIGGESTJOHNSON

Established Member
Thanx for the kind words Billy, how is the Cougar coming along?? Do I need to ship you one of the go-pro camera's to get some footage of you driving the tires off?? To bad we didn't have one on in the 8hr for your night excursions, would have liked to see you take that "shortcut" in the dark. Now with the video and data logging, you drivers can't "exaggerate" on what happens where we can't see. :burn:

Last edited:

Billy Madrid

Established Member
Wayne, if you crew guys could figure out how to keep the tires inflated then maybe I wouldn't have to imitate the Dukes of Hazzard by launching off the curbing, going over 90 mph, at the end of the back straight at Portland :bash:.

In my mind I was at least 8 feet high before the first bounce, launching through the air like Bo and Luke. In reality it may have been about a foot, LOL. Also, if you put cameras on the car when I was driving my shift all you would mostly see is darkness and mist out of the front camera, :uh oh: :eek: :burnout:.

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread