Cobra R owners list part 3

00 Cobra R

Established Member
Car # 214 is back home. I just got my 00 R back this morning. Please update the list.....Thanks in advance...............Mike A

michaelm

Established Member
I do not see the Shelby Mustangs in the SAAC directory in mixed-up years.

1965-1970: All together now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I do not see the Shelby Mustangs in the SAAC directory in mixed-up years.

1965-1970: All together now!
Early Shelby Mustangs were produced in very large numbers. They produced 13,722 cars in the early years (and now have over 15,000 ;-) ; it's magic). Please don't get me started on all of the fakes that were made after 1970. :-D

They only made 657 Cobra Rs. The 1965 Shelby Mustangs number 562. So, the entire Cobra R production is just 93 more cars than Shelby made in 1965 (the absolute best year).

Many would argue (me included) that the only true Shelby Mustangs were those made in 1965-1967. In 1968 Ford took over production (in Illinois). The 1968-1970 cars were Ford Mustangs with a Shelby emblem. Those cars went down a Ford assembly line (not a Shelby assembly line) :coolman:

:burnout:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Early Shelby Mustangs were produced in very large numbers. They produced 13,722 cars in the early years (and now have over 15,000 ;-) ; it's magic). Please don't get me started on all of the fakes that were made after 1970. :-D

They only made 657 Cobra Rs. The 1965 Shelby Mustangs number 562. So, the entire Cobra R production is just 93 more cars than Shelby made in 1965 (the absolute best year).

Many would argue (me included) that the only true Shelby Mustangs were those made in 1965-1967. In 1968 Ford took over production (in Illinois). The 1968-1970 cars were Ford Mustangs with a Shelby emblem. Those cars went down a Ford assembly line (not a Shelby assembly line) :coolman:

:burnout:

Weren't the 68-70 Shelby's much better fit and finish that the earlier cars? That is what I have heard from Shelby owners, is this true?

R

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Weren't the 68-70 Shelby's much better fit and finish that the earlier cars? That is what I have heard from Shelby owners, is this true?
Robert, I have no idea. I don't think I've ever seen an unmolested and original Shelby. The were just used cars at one time and were driven hard and put away wet. All of the ones that I've seen have been completely restored to "better than new" condition.

I just received my new issue of "Cars That Matter" price guide (Jan. 2008). The market determines the best cars, and here is a brief guide of values (all are #2 condition cars, and all are GT350s):

• 1965 Shelby $308,000 (add 10K for battery in trunk, and another $10K for two digit cars)
  • 1966 Shelby (and the GT350H) $178,000
  • 1967 Shelby $139,500
  • 1968 Shelby $98,500
  • 1969-70 Shelby (they are the same thing) $103,000

The fakes of 1980-1982 GT350 'verts are worth one-sixth of the real thing. The 1999 Series 1 is a fake. If anyone owns one, I meant to say that they are "tribute" cars.

All of the guys that I know that owned (or raced) them have either sold their cars or have them FS (~about 20). I noticed that the #70 1966 GT350 (original sheet metal and dash) that was raced out of the Cobra Automotive stable will be offered for auction at Russo and Steele on Jan. 20, 2008.

One of the problems with the high values of old muscle cars is all of the speculators and crooks. One crook, Fred Englehart, ripped millions from clients that were in the Mopar crowd. He owes millions of dollars to sellers and titles to buyers. Do a search using his name and/or "Mopar Empire Falls....Millions Lost".

Did you know that there were many more Hemi 4-speed cars built in just 1970 than Cobra Rs built in three years? If you placed all of the Hemi cars (real and fake) in a parking lot with all of the Cobra Rs, you'd have a problem even finding the Cobra Rs. :-D

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Did you know that there were many more Hemi 4-speed cars built in just 1970 than Cobra Rs built in three years? If you placed all of the Hemi cars (real and fake) in a parking lot with all of the Cobra Rs, you'd have a problem even finding the Cobra Rs. :-D

I know that to be true^^^^^^^^. Those cars, that are now deemed special/collectible/"rare" were normal "high performance engine optioned" cars in their day. The Hemi engine was available across the Chrysler, Dodge and Plymouth car lines. Now, many think that anything "Hemi" is rare, it is, many of the original Hemi cars have been crushed or have lost their engines decades ago. Now, the Cobra R's in comparision, they were not your common Mustang with an optional big engine, they were unique. Unlike the Hemi cars which were built, and sold in masses, the Cobra R's were limited from the beginning and by all accounts are actually "rare".

R

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
The fakes of 1980-1982 GT350 'verts are worth one-sixth of the real thing. The 1999 Series 1 is a fake. If anyone owns one, I meant to say that they are "tribute" cars.

. :-D

Do you have an opinin of these tribute cars????:dw:

Doc,

If you ever come out of retirement you need to go into stand-up comedy. What a riot!:beer::rockon:

Tom

the 1st SlowGT

Established Member
You can put me down for #73 of 1995. I just got her last summer. I haven't chased the ownership history too hard, but here's what I've got:

An AutoCheck search shows the car at Laird Noller Ford in Topeka, KS on 2/13/2001 with 1000 miles recorded. It shows a lien recorded on 8/28/2001 in KS with 1113 miles. The next event is 11/27/2002 and that's an emissions inspection in Seabrook, TX.

My records document the following:
12/13/2002 - Title Registration w/lien reported in Seabrook, TX. Sold by Laird Noller Ford of Topeka, KS to 'Robert' of Seabrook, TX with 3486 miles.

11/15/2003 - Robert sold the car to 'Danny' of central NJ with 4425 miles.

6/14/2007 - Danny sold me the car with 5597 miles.

...and I expect that I'll have the car forever or until I can find one with lower miles that still wears the original tires :thumbsup:. Unless the finances are really good and maybe then I'll have 2 :-D

This car is untouched except for the Flowmaster catback. There is absolutely no evidence that this car has ever seen a dragstrip let alone run 9's. Verbal history gives this car an autocross/open track reputation, but no straight line experience. However, I'm sure I'll be changing that this summer.

Which brings me to these questions:
What is the actual number of the '1 bad mutha' 95 Cobra R of Dayton, OH that was running 9's in August of '04 ??

Or did Ford goof up and accidentally produce 2 cars with identical VIN tags and VIN stampings in all the right places ??

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I came very close to buying that car before I found my car. Robert had it up at Tulsa at the Shelby meet. The car was very clean and in good condition. I really liked it.

Tom

cobra186

Stang Trader
Established Member
From what I remember there was a 95R for sale last year... In my inquiry I found out that the car at one time had a built drivetrain in it and was raced. The owner had pulled all of the stock drivetrain out for safe keeping during that time. When he decided to sell the car he reinstalled all the stock drivetrain and kept all the race parts.... I can't remember the build # for sure but I am really thinking the car was 95R #73....so that may be the car you own now, back in stock form.

Users who are viewing this thread