Cobra or Mach 1

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
My old car was a 99 Cobra. My current car is a Mach 1. That might clue you in to which car I prefer :)

wma8706

Established Member
real word differences on video.... they say 01 cobra but the video shows a 99...same difference... Mach 1 was at a disadvantge of carrying the camera man and being one of the worst drivers in the world.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65EFuV4n--w roll races with similar modds. Drivers race if you ask me..... hate night vids but you get the picture .... http://videos.streetfire.net/search/cobra/0/b3f64266-a1e6-4622-b00a-987a0007ceeb.htm ...here's one where the machs lay the smack down....dont know how accurate the mods to each other is...cause Cory's Mach looks like a sprayed car here.... http://videos.streetfire.net/search/mach1/0/0f173397-6a2c-47d0-8303-981f0103e8f1.htm stock for stock the machs a harder running car ....bolt ons vs bolt ons ...its a drivers race IMHO!

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
ponygt65 said:
#1) the mach does not only have better rear, it has better tranny gears. Unless my memory is out of whack, the 99/01 cobra's don't have 3.38 1st gears. The mach has better first, second and third gears over the terminator. I believe it has better 1st and second over the N/A's. BUT, please correct me if I am wrong.

i'm pretty sure the 3650 in the machs is the same as the 3650 in the 01's (and the gt's from mid-01 to 04)...the 99's have t45's with only SLIGHTLY different ratios...i wish they had put 3.55's in all 4v mustangs...

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
slo984now said:
Do you mean they were vacuum controlled?

The shaker systems had the snorkle directly attached to the carb/s. The airea around the snorkle was then sealed to the ceiling of the hood as it closed.

As I had shown earlier, based on engine volume and RPM (this is the same for the old cars, just different numbers) there's not really anything such as a "ram" effect because of the amount of air an engine actually consumes.

Plus, as pony65gt has pointed out, the aerodynamics of the systems are all wrong for it as well.

All that shaker, ram air, and cowl induction systems you've ever seen on a car are just means to deliver fresh ambient air to the engine rather than the low pressure underhood air.

So yes, technically it's a vacuum. Even at 100+ the engine is still having to suck air rather than being force fed by the vehicle moving through the air and collecting it through a snorkle.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Torch10th said:
The shaker systems had the snorkle directly attached to the carb/s. The airea around the snorkle was then sealed to the ceiling of the hood as it closed.

As I had shown earlier, based on engine volume and RPM (this is the same for the old cars, just different numbers) there's not really anything such as a "ram" effect because of the amount of air an engine actually consumes.

Plus, as pony65gt has pointed out, the aerodynamics of the systems are all wrong for it as well.

All that shaker, ram air, and cowl induction systems you've ever seen on a car are just means to deliver fresh ambient air to the engine rather than the low pressure underhood air.

So yes, technically it's a vacuum. Even at 100+ the engine is still having to suck air rather than being force fed by the vehicle moving through the air and collecting it through a snorkle.

I know how the shaker and cowl induction set ups work.:thumbsup: My first car was a 1970 Mustang, so I learned all about those set ups. I was just trying to figure out if he was talking about the vacuum controlled flaps in the scoops or that there was a vacuum inside the scoop.

2001 Blue Snake

Established Member
Well, if it helps you decide...my completely stock '01 Cobra besides Flows and K&N drop-in whooped up on a Mach 1 last night. It was definitely a manual too.
Mach 1's look much better though. :)

type911

Heave To....
Established Member
Why is it whenever this topic comes up....The majority of Mach owners refuse to admit it is a drivers race. Its like they will blow up by admitting it. Yes I do love the look of the Mach. But for the Price of the 99 Cobra it is just too hard to pass up.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
quick01snake said:
i'm pretty sure the 3650 in the machs is the same as the 3650 in the 01's (and the gt's from mid-01 to 04)...the 99's have t45's with only SLIGHTLY different ratios...i wish they had put 3.55's in all 4v mustangs...

The 3650s in the machs have completely different ratios than the GTs. Same tranny model, but different ratios. :beer:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
slo984now said:
Do you mean they were vacuum controlled?

I mean there is a tuny vacuum motor on the original shaker's to assist in opening the vents completely. I have a write up on how to rebuild the shakers.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
type911 said:
Why is it whenever this topic comes up....The majority of Mach owners refuse to admit it is a drivers race. Its like they will blow up by admitting it. Yes I do love the look of the Mach. But for the Price of the 99 Cobra it is just too hard to pass up.

Maybe I am blind or cant' read....but how to you consider the majority of the mach owners refuse to admit that? I have ALWAYS said it is a driver's race, with an 'edge' going to the mach. In fact, every post from mach owners in here say that. Please tell me where I am mis reading that.

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
99/01 cobras have the same ratios from 1st to 5th whether it be the 99's t45 or the 01's 3650. 03/04 mach's are the same except 5th.

99/01 cobra.......03/04 mach 1

i don't understand why 1-3 have a difference of .01. obviously that would make no difference whatsoever.

Last edited:

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
99riocobra said:
99/01 cobras have the same ratios from 1st to 5th whether it be the 99's t45 or the 01's 3650. 03/04 mach's are the same except 5th.

i don't understand why 1-3 have a difference of .01. obviously that would make no difference whatsoever.

interesting...i though the gt's from mid-01 through 04 had identical trannies to the cobras...hmm....

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
99riocobra said:

Thank you for clarifying. :beer:

THE_STIG

Established Member
If he gets a Mach 1 make sure its a 5-spd because those come with a forged crankshaft, the automatic ones don't have one, I think a Mach 1 owner told me once. I vote for getting a Cobra because they are just so badass.

Wishing4Cobra

Established Member
sleepin 4.6 said:
The Mach one I belive has forged internals.....not to sure. All's I got to say is that a laid the smack down on one over and over on video with 3000 grand in his car and no money in mine. That was enough for me. Plus I hate the black spoiler and wheels. Enough right there for me not to buy one. But he needs to pick the car which makes him happy. You make the car yours by the things you do to it.

:bs: either the guy in the mach was lying about the 3g's in his car or he cant drive for SHIT!

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
01greycobra said:
I think your bro should go with the mach (Not because I would cuz i wouldnt) but because then you guys will have both. I also think you should mod the cars comparibly and then let us know which one has the upper hand.

he used to have an 03 cobra with more than 500+hp to the wheels:cryying:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
South NJ Stang said:
If he gets a Mach 1 make sure its a 5-spd because those come with a forged crankshaft, the automatic ones don't have one, I think a Mach 1 owner told me once. I vote for getting a Cobra because they are just so badass.

That is correct. THe A4 mach has the GT crank...The M5 has a forged crank.

64VALVES

Established Member
sleepin 4.6 said:
The Mach one I belive has forged internals.....not to sure. All's I got to say is that a laid the smack down on one over and over on video with 3000 grand in his car and no money in mine. That was enough for me. Plus I hate the black spoiler and wheels. Enough right there for me not to buy one. But he needs to pick the car which makes him happy. You make the car yours by the things you do to it.
i got less than 300 in my mach and ill hand you your ass.ive beaten a couple stock terminators too(crappy drivers)the mach is thestrongest n/a 32 valve PERIOD.(besides the cobra r but i dont see too many people runnin out and buying those.)

Users who are viewing this thread