Cobra or Mach 1

01YellowCobra23

SNAKE CHARMED
Established Member
Hey my bro needs some help so i come to the ol trusty svtperformance. Now i know im in the cobra forums but he wants to know which car is faster? and the pros and cons of these car. He also wants to know how they are different. Hes in the market to pic one of these cars up. Thanks

sleepin 4.6

Established Member
The Mach one I belive has forged internals.....not to sure. All's I got to say is that a laid the smack down on one over and over on video with 3000 grand in his car and no money in mine. That was enough for me. Plus I hate the black spoiler and wheels. Enough right there for me not to buy one. But he needs to pick the car which makes him happy. You make the car yours by the things you do to it.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
sleepin 4.6 said:
The Mach one I belive has forged internals.....not to sure. All's I got to say is that a laid the smack down on one over and over on video with 3000 grand in his car and no money in mine. That was enough for me. Plus I hate the black spoiler and wheels. Enough right there for me not to buy one. But he needs to pick the car which makes him happy. You make the car yours by the things you do to it.

First off, the Mach does NOT have forged internals. Having driven both, I can say that the Mach is faster than my Cobra. Plus the shaker hood beats the crap out of our puny little v6 hoods. For me, its a no brainer. 03/04 Mach>99/01 Cobra, any day of the year. But it depends on what he wants to use the car for as well.

countrysquire

Search then Ask
Established Member
Mach has a solid rear axle, shaker hood induction system, and a retro interior. Also, it does not have forged internals. They clearly have a different intake manifold and I believe they have different heads/cams set-up as well. They drive great and can be made fast. With CAI, exhaust and a good set of tires can go 12s with a good driver.
The cobra has the IRS set up in the rear, no forged internals and a suede/lether interior(01s at least). They drive great and can be made fast. With the IRS you have to take it easy on the rear (STOCK)and are good for mid-low 13s.
Stock for stock the Mach would get the cobra on the launch and keep the lengths. If your brother want the car for a drag race style car, then I would say the mach 1. However, if he enjoys the open track style racing, then get the cobra. (I know you can do both with either of them, but for comparison on the rear ends it comes down to that to me.)
They are both AWESOME cars and he will enjoy either. For more info about the two, just do a search...it has been asked plenty.

PS...Sleepin4.6..you did NOT beat a mach with $3000 in it with your stock car, unless he spent the money on bricks and put them in the trunk.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Really it's a drivers race to be honest with you. though the Mach 1 with it's better torque production is a bit easier to drive fast.

With that said I would tell your brother to pick up the one that will be the best deal for him. Check the prices on both as well as insurance cost. The less money he pays for the car the more money he has to put into mods etc.

My general thinking however is that:

99/01 Cobra = auto-x, open track
Mach 1 = drag

If he has plans to do anything serious in either of those, pick the corresponding car.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
countrysquire said:
...just do a search...it has been asked plenty.
+1

Without getting into technical debate on which has what, etc, asking which is 'faster' is like asking if the drivers of each have the same driving abilities and skill....

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
countrysquire said:
Mach has a solid rear axle, shaker hood induction system, and a retro interior. Also, it does not have forged internals. They clearly have a different intake manifold and I believe they have different heads/cams set-up as well. They drive great and can be made fast. With CAI, exhaust and a good set of tires can go 12s with a good driver.
The cobra has the IRS set up in the rear, no forged internals and a suede/lether interior(01s at least). They drive great and can be made fast. With the IRS you have to take it easy on the rear (STOCK)and are good for mid-low 13s.
Stock for stock the Mach would get the cobra on the launch and keep the lengths. If your brother want the car for a drag race style car, then I would say the mach 1. However, if he enjoys the open track style racing, then get the cobra. (I know you can do both with either of them, but for comparison on the rear ends it comes down to that to me.)
They are both AWESOME cars and he will enjoy either. For more info about the two, just do a search...it has been asked plenty.

PS...Sleepin4.6..you did NOT beat a mach with $3000 in it with your stock car, unless he spent the money on bricks and put them in the trunk.

GREAT POST....right there. In every aspect (including the 'P.S.'). The heads/cams in teh mach are the exact same in the 03/04 cobra. The TR3650 has VERY ncie gears, which accompany the stock solid rear with 3.55s. Firs t gear is 3.38...very nice.

But, as all state, he should look at what he intends to do with the car and pick the better platform. If he doesn't care about drag racing, or road racing, then he needs to go off of looks. :beer:

xxstatic

Ride Red
Established Member
I love everything about the Mach cept they don't come in a convertible........
I live in Sunny Socal and have to have a drop top.....:coolman:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
xxstatic said:
I love everything about the Mach cept they don't come in a convertible........
I live in Sunny Socal and have to have a drop top.....:coolman:
I have seen a few 'custom' verts done.

Basically, GT verts, but acomplete mach swap overs....pretty cool, but expensive work.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
The cams. They are a bit more agressive and power peaks later in the rpm range. Since horsepower is a calculation of torque (Torque X RPM / 5252), it gives us a few more ponies up top.

Don't be folled by the numbers game though. The Mach 1 has more average torque, and that's what matters in a straight line competition.

Bizarro

I lika do da chacha...
Established Member
I had a guy in a Mach come up on me on the way home from Helen GA this past weekend. If I wouldn't have had my wife in the car and luggage in the trunk I would have liked to of seen what the difference is...

Oh well, maybe next time. :shrug:

JoePac

Established Member
I drove both, their equally the same, but mach's have been proven to be slightly faster, I think becuase of the solid axle w/ 3.55 gears. The Cobra's power range is up top, and Ford did not utilize it! So you slap 4.10s or 4.30's and the Cobra would be faster.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
If you're concerned about speed, you don't race stock ;).

Both are great cars, giving the edge to the Mach1, but the bang for the buck of a used New Edge cobra is what ruled my thought process.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
The Mach's have the better heads, are lighter, have 3.55 gears, has a ram air system as well as the solid rear. Both are very comfortable as well. the auto machs are slower than the cobras but the manual machs are just as fast down low and pull better up top thanks to the ram air.

They say that the Machs make 320hp at the crank(manual cars) but strongly believe that they make more thanks to the shaker setup. The difference in gears and weight also play a decent role as well.

I love both cars but went with the 01 Cobra due to it having IRS and hoping that the hand built motor would be more reliable. I'm debating on putting a shaker hood on the car though with the black wing on the back though. The Mach 1 styling is pretty nice.

Users who are viewing this thread