Cobra or Mach 1

Anthony_Z

Established Member
For me it came down to price, plus having the option to turn was worth it/ I turned the shit out of my yesterday at a local event/ didnt see a single mach1.

I would tell your brother about the price/plus styling on the cobra's is quite a bit better. The RAI is great, but its not a big power producer/just looks nice

Last edited:

manystangs

SVT Poster
Established Member
sleepin 4.6 said:
The Mach one I belive has forged internals.....not to sure. All's I got to say is that a laid the smack down on one over and over on video with 3000 grand in his car and no money in mine. That was enough for me. Plus I hate the black spoiler and wheels. Enough right there for me not to buy one. But he needs to pick the car which makes him happy. You make the car yours by the things you do to it.

I'm concerened with 3000 grand....my math says 1 grand = $1,000 so 3000 grand would equal $3,000,000. Boy that sure is a lot of money to invest in a cobra.:poke:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
DC97Cobra said:
The Mach's have the better heads, are lighter, have 3.55 gears, has a ram air system as well as the solid rear. Both are very comfortable as well. the auto machs are slower than the cobras but the manual machs are just as fast down low and pull better up top thanks to the ram air.

They say that the Machs make 320hp at the crank(manual cars) but strongly believe that they make more thanks to the shaker setup. The difference in gears and weight also play a decent role as well.

I love both cars but went with the 01 Cobra due to it having IRS and hoping that the hand built motor would be more reliable. I'm debating on putting a shaker hood on the car though with the black wing on the back though. The Mach 1 styling is pretty nice.

...wow.

Have you ever seen the shaker system on the Mach's? Trust me when I say it's not doing crap to add any amount of power.

From a power production standpoint the cars are pretty comparable. The Mach 1 makes it's power lower in the rpm range, the Cobra makes it's power higher in the rpm range. A good driver will be able to extract the power out of either vehicle.

The advantages the Mach 1 has is the lower factory gear and teh weight savings of the solid axle over the irs.

I still can't believe we go over this ever month or so. For all intensive purpouses the cars are the same. The differences are so minute that in almost every cirumstance, weather it be drag racing or road racing the winner is going to be the guy that is the better driver.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Torch10th said:
...The advantages the Mach 1 has is the lower factory gear and teh weight savings of the solid axle over the irs...

this is what it really boils down to... ~100 lbs. lighter, stlightly shorter rear end gear...so it def comes out of the hole better, also thanks to it's slightly better lowened torque...

BUT if you are going full bolt on's, those intake cams will become a hindrance at around 330 rwhp, while the 99-01's don't hit a wall until around 345 rwhp from all i've seen...

OH, and the ram air on the mach?? i seriously doubt if that gives ANY extra power...LOL

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Price

I think the Mach is a little better base if you are going to just do the usual bolt ons. It's got a slightly better rear gear, better low end torque and a solid rear to save some weight. Not more power, but the power comes on sooner so it feels like it.

You will pay more for a Mach though.... You can buy a lot of mods for the price difference between a New Edge Cobra and a Mach. :rolleyes: I think the Cobra looks a lot better than the Mach, but that's just me. :coolman:

tr04mach

Established Member
sleepin 4.6 said:
The Mach one I belive has forged internals.....not to sure. All's I got to say is that a laid the smack down on one over and over on video with 3000 grand in his car and no money in mine. That was enough for me. Plus I hate the black spoiler and wheels. Enough right there for me not to buy one. But he needs to pick the car which makes him happy. You make the car yours by the things you do to it.

Also for this comment, there is no way unless this guy missed a gear everytime or couldn't drive worth a damn. I've got intake, php spacer, full exhaust and tuned i've had no problem pulling fairly good on 99/01 cobras several different times. I've got around 2k in the car. You should post up the video if you got it on video whooping his ass many times, i'd love to see that. 3000 grand, now damn, where can i find that much money to put into my car, it would be a monster with 3million (3000grand) in it.

Last edited:

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Both cars are great. I went with the Cobra because the price point was alot less than a mach 1 which was sitting near 03 Cobra pricing at the time I was looking. Prices for Mach's are starting to come down, but still to close to a forged and blown Cobra price point. Unless you go high miles. But alas solid axle with the mach out of the box. Track car cobra or Drag car mach, pick your pill.

Mach's take to mods pretty nice as I have seen on the dyno.

For a Cobra with minimal mods I have a CAI, Catback, and aluminum flywheel. That put me at 287hp and 300tq to the wheels.

Last edited:

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Torch10th said:
...wow.

Have you ever seen the shaker system on the Mach's? Trust me when I say it's not doing crap to add any amount of power.

From a power production standpoint the cars are pretty comparable. The Mach 1 makes it's power lower in the rpm range, the Cobra makes it's power higher in the rpm range. A good driver will be able to extract the power out of either vehicle.

The advantages the Mach 1 has is the lower factory gear and teh weight savings of the solid axle over the irs.

I still can't believe we go over this ever month or so. For all intensive purpouses the cars are the same. The differences are so minute that in almost every cirumstance, weather it be drag racing or road racing the winner is going to be the guy that is the better driver.

I have looked at them as well as raced against my friends Mach 1. Stock vs. stock, his car is noticably faster. His car just seemed to wake up even more in the higher mph than mine. The ram air might not seem to be that large but every little bit helps. I just always figured that when you have air at 100+mph being shoved into a small space, it's going to have to go somewhere other than back out of where it came from. The only logical place would be through the intake since it's creating a vacuum.

I would have said it was gears or maybe even weight but at that speed, I would think gears would hurt more than help and the difference in weight would not make that much of a difference. My only thought was the heads and intake.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
You realize "ram air" is a fallacy right?

Consider that your engine is an air pump. One that pumps roughly 2.3 litres of air each revolution.

at 6800 rpm with an assumed volumetric efficiency of 90% that's roughly 14,000 litres of air per minute. You honestly think that traveling 100 miles per hour is going to "ram" "air" in to the intake system?

Especially given the inlet size of the shaker scoop, that's simply not happening. in the upper RPM's at WOT your engine is still sucking air, it's not being anywhere near force fed with that shaker system.

The only place it may haev an effect is cruising speeds on the highway when you're in 5th gear at lower RPM's. Even then I certainly doubt it.

The shaker is for show only.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Torch10th said:

Consider that your engine is an air pump. One that pumps roughly 2.3 litres of air each revolution.

at 6800 rpm with an assumed volumetric efficiency of 90% that's roughly 14,000 litres of air per minute. You honestly think that traveling 100 miles per hour is going to "ram" "air" in to the intake system?

Especially given the inlet size of the shaker scoop, that's simply not happening. in the upper RPM's at WOT your engine is still sucking air, it's not being anywhere near force fed with that shaker system.

The only place it may haev an effect is cruising speeds on the highway when you're in 5th gear at lower RPM's. Even then I certainly doubt it.

Never sat there and did the math(don't know the formulas to figure it out anyways) but always willing to learn. Thanks for the lesson though. :read:

countrysquire

Search then Ask
Established Member
Torch10th said:

Thats news to me...thanks torch10th again for teaching me something new:rockon:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
DC97Cobra said:
Never sat there and did the math(don't know the formulas to figure it out anyways) but always willing to learn. Thanks for the lesson though. :read:

Ram air is more a marketing gimmick really.

Back in the 60's when it became popular, it was a way to get cooler air to the engine. Until that time, the carbs drew in air directly from the hot engine compartment.

The Ram air systems were the first incorporations of what we typically think of as the stock intake system.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
I think your bro should go with the mach (Not because I would cuz i wouldnt) but because then you guys will have both. I also think you should mod the cars comparibly and then let us know which one has the upper hand.

tr04mach

Established Member
Yeah that shaker is definitely not a ram air setup but more like a cold air intake. It puts cold air directly on the air filter to be sucked in but its not forced in. Despite that its always the first thing people mention on the car. "Nice shaker"

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Wow...there seems to be quite some mis informed stuff here.

#1) the mach does not only have better rear, it has better tranny gears. Unless my memory is out of whack, the 99/01 cobra's don't have 3.38 1st gears. The mach has better first, second and third gears over the terminator. I believe it has better 1st and second over the N/A's. BUT, please correct me if I am wrong.

#2) Mach's ARE NOT top end pigs. I repeat machs are NOT top end PIGS. 6800 redline, and peak numbers are very close in teh rpm range...within a couple hundred rpms. It isn't that much of a difference. Not sure why you guys think the mach has no top end.

#3) The ram air DOES NOT help with NOTICEABLE performance. It DOES bring in Fresh Cold air. Is it enough to make a difference? well, that is up to speculation. I personally think the stock shaker is not up in the aero damp to be good for anything..but raise it up in the air stream to get more of a true 'ram air', then yes. AND that is not jsut speculation....the shop I bought he 1" raised shaker is owned by someone that has his SCCA racing license, and he track tested it, back to back.

Sorry, if I come across so rudely. But, after all the discussion of the machs, and cobra's, there seem sto be alot of false information floating around about machs.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Torch10th said:
Ram air is more a marketing gimmick really.

Back in the 60's when it became popular, it was a way to get cooler air to the engine. Until that time, the carbs drew in air directly from the hot engine compartment.

The Ram air systems were the first incorporations of what we typically think of as the stock intake system.

Funny thing is...the shaker on the original machs, and bosses were vacuum.

Users who are viewing this thread