Cobra Jet manifold reworking

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
FRPP offers, or offered, a 123 and 140 mm version. The 123mm should be big enough for this motor N/A. I think the 140mm would be overkill.

123mm

M-9600-CJ.jpg

140mm

M-9600-SCJ.jpg

123mm is overkill and will have drivability issues. 4.5 is the max needed and is proven to have good drivability. The cobra jet race cars need to get from the pits to staging lanes and then it's all WOT. Not a N/A street car.....

NickSezz

Established Member
FRPP offers, or offered, a 123 and 140 mm version. The 123mm should be big enough for this motor N/A. I think the 140mm would be overkill.

123mm

M-9600-CJ.jpg

140mm

M-9600-SCJ.jpg

I will look into the JLT tube as an option as well. Thanks for the heads up.

Yes. I think the 123mm is discontinued now also though. I only see 140mm on the FRPP site now.

86merc

Established Member
Thanks. I have been meaning to do those same calculations. But work have kept me from them. Planned on doing them this weekend. You just saved me some time. :thumbsup:

We have also tested CAI that bigger was better. I think because you are looking at cross sections alone. You are not taking account how the bends in the intake track and air filter flow. So that is why I think it would be fun to try up to 5". We know the 4.5" showed gains with your car. And I agree, I think the 4.5" will work great with out leaving much on the table. Plus the larger the MAF gets the more work the tuner will have to do I bet. Plus who knows if a 5" can be packaged well in the engine bay.

86merc

Established Member
Yes. I think the 123mm is discontinued now also though. I only see 140mm on the FRPP site now.

Ok. I have seen two used ones for sale. But can't justify spending money on something I am 99% sure I will not end up using. I don't want to drive Shaun @ AED nuts trying to dial it in. hahaha If I can find one locally to borrow maybe we will try it out. We will see what happens.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Thanks. I have been meaning to do those same calculations. But work have kept me from them. Planned on doing them this weekend. You just saved me some time. :thumbsup:

We have also tested CAI that bigger was better. I think because you are looking at cross sections alone. You are not taking account how the bends in the intake track and air filter flow. So that is why I think it would be fun to try up to 5". We know the 4.5" showed gains with your car. And I agree, I think the 4.5" will work great with out leaving much on the table. Plus the larger the MAF gets the more work the tuner will have to do I bet. Plus who knows if a 5" can be packaged well in the engine bay.

I get your mentality, but when the bottleneck is the backside of the TB, it shouldn't matter what size the CAI is as long as it's larger than that constraint and isn't too big to affect drivability. Shaun tuned a 123mm with really bad drivability. That person swapped to the JLT and it was perfect drivability wise, just not power wise. Look forward to your results.

NickSezz

Established Member
Ok. I have seen two used ones for sale. But can't justify spending money on something I am 99% sure I will not end up using. I don't want to drive Shaun @ AED nuts trying to dial it in. hahaha If I can find one locally to borrow maybe we will try it out. We will see what happens.

Yeah its definitely over kill. 95-100mm is enough.

01bluesnake

Established Member
CAI's are done and ready for the dyno Sunday. It will receive a final sanding and polish but wanted to snap a few quick pics for those that asked about me making them. I do have my car up and running. One interesting note is that the inner Dia. of the 4.5" pipe i used was 4.24" almost identical to the JLT plastic intake which requires a tune. Loaded the MAF file for the JLT and car started and ran perfect. Will have to do some minor adjustments, but a lot closer than what i was expecting. Also was able to get the car out for a short shift wot run, and feels amazing.

Pic's :beer:

IMAG1314_zpseda6775d.jpg

IMAG1317_zps86c385bb.jpg

IMAG1316_zps6140dab0.jpg

IMAG1315_zpse9506901.jpg

04compgt

Established Member
CAI's are done and ready for the dyno Sunday. It will receive a final sanding and polish but wanted to snap a few quick pics for those that asked about me making them. I do have my car up and running. One interesting note is that the inner Dia. of the 4.5" pipe i used was 4.24" almost identical to the JLT plastic intake which requires a tune. Loaded the MAF file for the JLT and car started and ran perfect. Will have to do some minor adjustments, but a lot closer than what i was expecting. Also was able to get the car out for a short shift wot run, and feels amazing.

IMAG1314_zpseda6775d.jpg

IMAG1317_zps86c385bb.jpg

IMAG1316_zps6140dab0.jpg

IMAG1315_zpse9506901.jpg

Any tuning needed to be done for the throttle body or just the MAF?

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor

IMAG1314_zpseda6775d.jpg

IMAG1317_zps86c385bb.jpg

IMAG1316_zps6140dab0.jpg

IMAG1315_zpse9506901.jpg

Looking good! When will you be on the dyno?

20130815_192136 by spaded707, on Flickr

Shaun will be tuning mine on his dyno on the 31st on 91oct and E85.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Any tuning needed to be done for the throttle body or just the MAF?

A little of both actually. I'll still end up doing some slight maf correction tomorrow and will need to go play with the throttle body settings as it seems to hang slightly while driving.
Looking good! When will you be on the dyno?

Shaun will be tuning mine on his dyno on the 31st on 91oct and E85.

Nice parts collection lol. i need to get the correct purge valve kit still so i can stop ghetto rigging the stock one. I'll be on as well as 86Merc sunday as we are doing the manifold, T body comparison dyno test. We will have a lot of details and dyno charts just like previous testing we did. My car is back on 93 right now (sucks) and feels pretty responsive and pulls good not even getting into the tune much with the CJ mani setup. Can't wait to put mine back on E85 in a few weeks. I picked a set of injectors and found one of the nozzle's leaking while just in the rail with no pressure. Could of been bad if i didn't catch that before bolting the rail down and putting pressure to them. Also, on the coolant pipe they give in the CJ mani kit, i just pushed the stock one over a hair and cleared perfect without having to get into the cooling system.

Last edited:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
A little of both actually. I'll still end up doing some slight maf correction tomorrow and will need to go play with the throttle body settings as it seems to hang slightly while driving.

Nice parts collection lol. i need to get the correct purge valve kit still so i can stop ghetto rigging the stock one. I'll be on as well as 86Merc sunday as we are doing the manifold, T body comparison dyno test. We will have a lot of details and dyno charts just like previous testing we did. My car is back on 93 right now (sucks) and feels pretty responsive and pulls good not even getting into the tune much with the CJ mani setup. Can't wait to put mine back on E85 in a few weeks. I picked a set of injectors and found one of the nozzle's leaking while just in the rail with no pressure. Could of been bad if i didn't catch that before bolting the rail down and putting pressure to them. Also, on the coolant pipe they give in the CJ mani kit, i just pushed the stock one over a hair and cleared perfect without having to get into the cooling system.

Hell yea, cant wait to see what you guys put down with the different combo's.

Yea I was already looking at the coolant pipe and was thinking about bending it over just a tad, thanks for the heads up!

Last edited:

corysmach1

Established Member

IMAG1314_zpseda6775d.jpg

IMAG1317_zps86c385bb.jpg

IMAG1316_zps6140dab0.jpg

IMAG1315_zpse9506901.jpg

Looks awesome! Have an idea how much you will charge to make them? Also are those pics with the SCJ TB?

twistedneck

Established Member
I would love to see one of the prototypes. They looked great on the outside. Wonder what the ports and throttle opening looked like.

M5lp 1207 015 Coyote 5 0 Engine Photo 15

the originals did not have the removed step of material at the bung that the new cj manifold has. the big difference between this and boss is the bung area thickness and tb size. not sure when the entire bottom segment of material was removed but that is obviously making some power.

PS most of the manifold weld line mis-match is in the outboard runner - there is almost no laminar flow in that area think of the engine sucking in air and it follows the inboard edge of the runners... that's why ford left that flange in on the stock and boss intakes, and now it seems on the cj intakes.

86merc

Established Member
Well we have Drew's car on the dyno. I got my logs over to Shaun later yesterday. And I have not heard back from him. So we will see if I get a updated tune here soon. Otherwise we might have to do the test next weekend

Users who are viewing this thread