Cobra Crowd should enjoy this, 03 Cobra vs. Z06 dyno

Rev

This Space For Rent...
Established Member
Subscribing, this should get juicy shortly.

Vaelin

Established Member
Heh, that article was nothing more than what rational car-lovers already know.

It's the irrational 'Ford/chevy thumpers' that make it a debate. Yes, Z06 stock is faster. Yes, Z06 puts out less power. Yes, it handles a LOT nicer stock. Blah blah, yes, you can do suspension mods to the Cobra, blah blah you can do engine/drivetrain mods to the Z06.

Stock for stock, you're talking about a purebred sports car vs. pony car. ~$48k vs. ~$33k. 2 seats vs. 2+2 seats. N/A vs FI. Elegant vs. brute force.

The only reasons why they're being compared is (a) power output is similar, (b) Ford vs. Chevy and (c) No more Camaro/Firebird to compare to.

I think a better comparo would be the new GTO vs Cobra. ;)

However, personal pref-wise, I'd stick with my Cobra and mod the living hell out of it with the money I save over the Z06. :D

Last edited:

AtomHeart

Architect of Evil
Established Member
A CAI and catback should just about take care of that 50hp gap. That wont cost me too much.

*places order*

Last edited:

SALEENGTROUSH

who wants to race ?
Established Member
nice article, that is interesting:-D to badd the vette is like 13000 more, oh well ill take the cobra anyday over the vette:thumbsup:

99cobraclone

Established Member
Originally posted by Vaelin
Heh, that article was nothing more than what rational car-lovers already know.

It's the irrational 'Ford/chevy thumpers' that make it a debate. Yes, Z06 stock is faster. Yes, Z06 puts out less power. Yes, it handles a LOT nicer stock. Blah blah, yes, you can do suspension mods to the Cobra, blah blah you can do engine/drivetrain mods to the Z06.

Stock for stock, you're talking about a purebred sports car vs. pony car. ~$48k vs. ~$33k. 2 seats vs. 2+2 seats. N/A vs FI. Elegant vs. brute force.

The only reasons why they're being compared is (a) power output is similar, (b) Ford vs. Chevy and (c) No more Camaro/Firebird to compare to.

I think a better comparo would be the new GTO vs Cobra. ;)

However, personal pref-wise, I'd stick with my Cobra and mod the living hell out of it with the money I save over the Z06. :D

Yes! With the amount of money we all save, you can get like twice the hp of the z06!

Juiced-03

Established Member
The Vette's are plain ugly and sound horrible. I feel like I am driving a batmobile when inside a Vette! I am sure they handle better than my car and are more aerodynamic, but mine is faster lol! I also like the brakes a little better on the Z06 (but that is all!!!).

You can have as much power as you want, and go as fast as you want to go, it just comes down to the wallet.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
Both great cars. You will notice however that the Vette starts its' power band higher and stays there for most of the duration except for slight spikes in the graph. Where as the Cobra starts very low and climbs to its peak after a duration of high RPMs. I am no expert but I would imagine that this is due to the difference in engine types OHV vs. DOHC, and also the obvious cubic inch difference. In my experience larger cubes can roughly equal more power earlier on, and a broader more flat power curve. It think it is simply amazing what they are squeezing out of that little 281.

stangfreak

Established Member
just read my sig. a cat back and a cold air intake will put the cobra exactly where the z06 is as far as performance output. my car ran a 12.3 with the borla stinger and steeda cai. i didnt even have my steeda shifter or drag radials on. food for thought guys

quazimoto

Banned
The best part is that it was only a few short years ago (pre-03) that mentioning Cobra in the same breath as Corvette was blasphemy!!!

So the mere fact that we can realistically compare a $30-35k Cobra to a $45-50k 'vette without getting laughed at, speaks volumes of just how far the Cobra has come, long live The Terminator!!!

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I participated in that dyno day. There were 3 or 4 of us 03s there and 2 Z06s. The 2 Z06 guys couldn't believe what they saw.

That dynosheet belogs to Ken03Cobra or FastFWD.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
This is old info. Interesting to read it again though. I'll still keep my '03 Cobra. Show me a Z-06 that can lay down 495rwhp (or more) as cheaply as we can. Best bang for the buck is still the Cobra. And I'm an ex-Chevy diehard.
:beer:

roushraven

zzzZZzz
Established Member
Show me a Z-06 that can lay down 495rwhp (or more) as cheaply as we can.
Easy, mine. Stock plus a 75-150 wet shot NO2 kit from TNT(less than $800). That kit was way cheaper than the mods that were done to my Cobra by PHP that laid down your target horsepower. It can be done.

:beer:

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
You also have to take into account that parts for that engine are fairly easy to find....and can sometimes be cheap. Covrvettes are not cheap at all, but the LS engines are a fairly easy when it comes to modding. That is of coarse if you are doing internal stuff. A heads, cam, and ls-1 edit will yeild quite a bit of gain. Not to mention if you are have already gotten your exhaust and intake issues down.

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
50hp huh???

How much for a Cobra coupe? $35 NEW
How much for a Z06? $38 USED

How much for 50hp (2.93 pulley) and to hand the Z06 its ass? $100 NEW

The look on the Z owners face.... Priceless

Not flaming because if I had the money right now, I would have both but bang for the buck, the Cobra wins hands down. If we are looking at refinment and handeling, the Z wins hands down.

I just love smoking Z06's in my FOUR passenger CONVERTIBLE!!!

02collector

Established Member
I heard a mention that trans am/ firebird are gone! Yeah but they are still around, i ran a best of 12.77 in my 2002 collector edition trans am. I really curious of what the Cobra will run. I'm still hearing of stock cobra's running 13's! Hope it's not my car. Will soon find out

Users who are viewing this thread