Clutch advice needed...

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
ROFL!!

But seriously, how much noise are we talking with a puck disc? I used to hear the horror stories about the Centerforce clutch plates with the weights being noisy. I had one installed on my GT and never had nary a chatter. In fact, it was quieter than the stock one. My only concern with going to a single disc is the deviation from stock. I'm sure it'll require some adapters of some sort or some other driveline adjustments. I like plug-n-play parts that don't lock me into having to stick to a single manufacturer's "matching" parts. However, I would imagine a single disc setup is much lighter than the twin setup.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
ROFL!!

But seriously, how much noise are we talking with a puck disc? I used to hear the horror stories about the Centerforce clutch plates with the weights being noisy. I had one installed on my GT and never had nary a chatter. In fact, it was quieter than the stock one. My only concern with going to a single disc is the deviation from stock. I'm sure it'll require some adapters of some sort or some other driveline adjustments. I like plug-n-play parts that don't lock me into having to stick to a single manufacturer's "matching" parts. However, I would imagine a single disc setup is much lighter than the twin setup.

The DFC clutch kit I have includes the shim needed, but it does require an 07-09 style slave cylinder. We installed this same clutch in my buddy's Whippled '11 GT500. This is the same clutch run in the 08 Cobra Jet Mustangs.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Thanks for the info. That settles that. Guess I'm "stuck" getting on the SPEC/McLeod bandwagon.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
my clutch was starting to let go after a track outing when I eclipsed the 620 mark. I have since put a Mcleod RXT in and have not looked back.

If you go with a spec, just make sure its done right. Have a friend who had a spec done, (it was done with shortcuts I believe) and its been a nightmare ever since. Its still not right, with the installers blaming spec, driver blaming them, distributor blaming everyone.., and its just going round and round. What a mess.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
ROFL!!

Well there's not a lot of guys in the GT500 community running them to get feedback from because going from a twin back to a single is kind of like downgrading. So most stick with the twin setup.

If you search around in the 03-04 Cobra section you'll get a lot more feedback on the DFX. We were basically the ones to introduce that clutch to the market when it was released. Don't get me wrong it's a great clutch and can hold a ton of power. However for the best street manors and stock like driveability you're better off going with the twin.

Lastly,
It's not the weights that cause the chatter or noise. It's the aggressive material used on the discs as well as the puck design.

Jared

Users who are viewing this thread