Clutch advice needed...

iwannacobra5

Established Member
i'm looking to add a vmp tvs and supporting mods this year along with a one piece DS and street radials. i'll have anywhere from 630-650 rwhp. my question is, how will a stock clutch do with this kind of set up? i'll never take the car to the track, so to all you street guys that have a similar set up with a stock clutch, how's it holding up?

thanks

bossnova3

Established Member
My best advice use it 'till it starts slipping then get Mcleod rxt. The stockers will surprisingly hold a lot of abuse....

Ed

BilletProShop

Established Member
My best advice use it 'till it starts slipping then get Mcleod rxt. The stockers will surprisingly hold a lot of abuse....

Ed

X4 !!!!
stock clutch can be a freak of nature !!!
i have over 200 runs on mine and still going strong, ALLKHEINZ runs 9's with his 2010 with approx 300 runs down the strip with no signs of fading after 10k miles

Last edited:

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Run the stocker until it starts slipping. Then throw an RXT in and be done.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Van@RevanRacing

i'm looking to add a vmp tvs and supporting mods this year along with a one piece DS and street radials. i'll have anywhere from 630-650 rwhp. my question is, how will a stock clutch do with this kind of set up? i'll never take the car to the track, so to all you street guys that have a similar set up with a stock clutch, how's it holding up?

thanks

Kill the stocker and when it's done go with a SPEC based on your torque level. SPEC is infinitely rebuildable. Most it will ever cost to rebuild a SPEC is 50% of the retail price of the system you purchase. I'm running an SS trim now in my 2013 and its just like stock after the break in period.

TexasShelby

Established Member
I think you'll find the OEM will take a lot of horsepower. Where it fell short was constant city driving.

btw +5 on the McLeod RXT

ironpeddler

Established Member
Learn from my personal experience, if you get an aftermarket clutch, get the McLeod RXT. I have a Spec p-trim and it just completely sucks for driving around town. Unless you are going to have 1000+ whp the McLeod is definetely the way to go.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Still no love for Centerforce? :shrug: I want a new clutch, too, but will stick with the stock clutch until it starts slipping. I want a lightweight assembly next. I plan on doing an aluminum flywheel when I swap and would like puck style clutch plates.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Still no love for Centerforce? :shrug: I want a new clutch, too, but will stick with the stock clutch until it starts slipping. I want a lightweight assembly next. I plan on doing an aluminum flywheel when I swap and would like puck style clutch plates.

I've got a brand new Centerforce DFX clutch for a GT500 if you're interested. It's puck style, and includes an SFI aluminum flywheel.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Why wasn't I so lucky?! Lol
Driving style, proper break in, gearing... There are a lot of factors to how long a clutch will last. Driving style and proper break in being the most important.

I see how some people drive these cars at cruise nights or at the strip, and it's a wonder the clutch lasts a hundred miles in some of them. Get a clutch too hot once and it's as good as garbage.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Im very hard on my GT500 and im still on the stock clutch with 20k on the clock. But I am getting ready to buy a RXT im to worried about the stock one going out.

enormous

Established Member
Im very hard on my GT500 and im still on the stock clutch with 20k on the clock. But I am getting ready to buy a RXT im to worried about the stock one going out.
Might be wise to order a RXT beforehand to keep downtime to a minimum. Thats what I did and glad I did. My stocker went about 23-24k.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Learn from my personal experience, if you get an aftermarket clutch, get the McLeod RXT. I have a Spec p-trim and it just completely sucks for driving around town. Unless you are going to have 1000+ whp the McLeod is definetely the way to go.

I have a P-Trim as well, I have driven a 500 with the RXT and the Ford TSB. The P-Trim in my car is by far the best. Most predictable and smooth. It is a little touchy for the first 500 miles but after that its medium pressure and constant pressure throughout the entire press.

black03

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Twin disc? Why didn't you use it?

The DFX is a single disc puck style setup. I would imagine that the DFX wouldn't be as friendly as a twin setup like stock or other twin disc offerings for the GT500. Puck style single discs setups made for high HP applications tend to chatter. That's because they're usually made with a very aggressive material as they only have one disc. Twin setups don't need to use as an aggressive of a material as they use the additional disk and tend to have have more surface area to them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread