CJ intake +a6+first couple of passes

SCalla1384

Established Member
Remember what I said when you first put that Boss intake on? The same thing I said to Paul. :). Who cares what other people think... when YOU know what you have to do, thats all that matters. You have the clutch and trans issue solved... now slap the 3.90s in and get it done. It doesnt help that your car is heavy, which makes the effects of those lengthy shift extensions even worse. Look forward to seeing it go down the track again

I was hoping I could get by on the stock clutch since Paul did, but fail!
Oh yea, I didn't care what they thought. It was more so just some of them being oblivious and arrogant. But now that it's a CJ, now it's gearing issues. Lol I just found it amusing.

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Thanks for the info Shaun, I do appreciate everything you've been doing.

I'm not sure which route I'm going to go with the gears yet. I am going to wind up spraying it with 100 maybe a 125 shot eventually but want to dial this in first. I have stage 3 cams sitting next to me just not sure if I'm gonna put em in yet either. My guess is they will have something to do with what gear I chose.

I just wanted to post some actual track times with the auto as I know people have been waiting to see how it does on the track.

I drove the car to florida just to get a couple of passes in. Loaded to the hilt. slicks, skinnies, 2 sets of golf clubs as well as luggage.

Need to revise original post also. Just went thru all my time slips and looks like I did have a couple of 1.65/6 60's that netted the 11.86/8 passes.

Dam man, Props to you for not being afraid to travel! You just need some more test time with it and time to do some more logging. First thing i would try is going to a 26inch tire.

It is a little per-mature but we should have all this ironed out this upcoming NHRA season.

JDM Engineering will have a 2013 N/A Cobra Jet competing ; )

Details cannot be made public yet but I will share our R&D when appropriate.

Is the Cobra Jet a 6R80:shrug:

that's why I just installed my new tag on my car this week :)

1615093_10153758115530463_488926651_n_zpsd3a634d8.jpg

Nice man!

Justin81

Established Member
Really, enlighten me.

Let's put it this way. I change Torque converter configurations every single day of the week to reduce or increase shift drop ratios. The Torque converter is bolted directly to the Flexplate and it's coupling abilities (Stall speed) is the #1 contribution to launch points, Shift ratios and Trap Rpm's. The transmission gearing and rear gearing are just tuning tools after the fact. To say that changing trans gearing is the only way to reduce shift drop would be appropriate in a Manual car where the flywheel is direct with the transmission.

I hope this helps.

nordy racer

Established Member
I imagine its gonna be a handful to get a 5c and 4.30s to hook. If it does I think we will see some impressive numbers though.

I know.. I just got new DR's for this season and i'm thinking about getting a second set of rears with some Cheater slicks or full slicks to use due to the hooking problems maybe.

dennisn

Established Member
Dam man, Props to you for not being afraid to travel! You just need some more test time with it and time to do some more logging. First thing i would try is going to a 26inch tire.

Nice man!

I will say I'll never travel like this again. White knuckled it both ways up and down. Got stuck half a day in that Atlanta fiasco. Poor wife broke down in tears more than once in the car.

problem now is really won't be able to try anything new for couple of months when weather here finally breaks.

And currently I'm running a 27" qtp on 15 x 8's.

86merc

Established Member
I actually logged the polar opposite of that. I had the best results shifting right at 8k. Back when I was doing some vbox testing, shifting the 3-4 at 7600-7800 netted me a half second slower 60-130 time then an 8000 rpm shift. I did it back to back to back to back testing out just the one 3-4 shift and it was stronger every time. As far as the 1-2 and 2-3, my best 8th mile mphs came from 8k as well.

You also have a Boss motor. That is why I said on a GT Coyote motor. The Boss longblock should have better breathing capability up high when compared to a Coyote.

What where your track times? I think I have only seen you post dyno and V box numbers. What does the car weigh with you in it as well?

4VFTW

Established Member
Let's put it this way. I change Torque converter configurations every single day of the week to reduce or increase shift drop ratios. The Torque converter is bolted directly to the Flexplate and it's coupling abilities (Stall speed) is the #1 contribution to launch points, Shift ratios and Trap Rpm's. The transmission gearing and rear gearing are just tuning tools after the fact. To say that changing trans gearing is the only way to reduce shift drop would be appropriate in a Manual car where the flywheel is direct with the transmission.

I hope this helps.
So you're able to adjust shift drop in the tune? I understood that it was hard wired into the design of the converter. How do you adjust trap rpm via the converter other than running it locked or unlocked? Gear has always been the way trap rpm is dialed in, in my experience

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
It is a little per-mature but we should have all this ironed out this upcoming NHRA season.

JDM Engineering will have a 2013 N/A Cobra Jet competing ; )

Details cannot be made public yet but I will share our R&D when appropriate.

Is the cobra jet a 6r80?

The thread here is about a stock GT engine with a CJ intake and 6R80.

EJR

Established Member
You also have a Boss motor. That is why I said on a GT Coyote motor. The Boss longblock should have better breathing capability up high when compared to a Coyote.

What where your track times? I think I have only seen you post dyno and V box numbers. What does the car weigh with you in it as well?

the top end on my curve is very similar to a coyotes... and Im reving it a bit out of my power band when i shift at 8k. And i went 11.6 at 122.9 with a 1.90 60 ft. Had a lot of wheel hop issues on the launch and couldnt get the car moving. Car was making up all the steam in the back half.

Justin81

Established Member
So you're able to adjust shift drop in the tune? I understood that it was hard wired into the design of the converter. How do you adjust trap rpm via the converter other than running it locked or unlocked? Gear has always been the way trap rpm is dialed in, in my experience

It's possible you can somehow adjust the shift drop in the transmission tune. I do not know as I'm not a tuner or never dealt with 6R80 stuff either. When I said Trans and gears are tuning tools I meant figuratively. Like they are a way to dial in the details of your RPM in various places of the run. The torque converters main function is to absorb the irrelevant power coming from your motor and transfer it back to the drivetrain when it's reached a more desired level of power. By doing that it generates wheel speed and your initial RPM range. By increasing or reducing the stall speed it directly effects the powerband of the motor that will eventually reach the transmission and final gearing. Those things contribute greatly to the shift ratios and trap RPM (I could never argue they wouldn't) but they're not more influential than adjustments to the TC.

I know my response went pretty far :sleeping: but I was initially just saying that the TC needs to be loosened.

SCalla1384

Established Member
the top end on my curve is very similar to a coyotes... and Im reving it a bit out of my power band when i shift at 8k. And i went 11.6 at 122.9 with a 1.90 60 ft. Had a lot of wheel hop issues on the launch and couldnt get the car moving. Car was making up all the steam in the back half.

Agreed, we both pretty much have the same power curve, yours is just more lol. We both drop off and make peak and hold it at just about the same rpm. If you have dyno comparison of me vs you post it. I don't have one of your car.

nordy racer

Established Member
had a new PB today.. went from 11.44 at 117.9 to this best ET.. (had a better MPH of 121.4 on a slower run)
1616795_10153772807940463_1037793227_n_zps4dbdec5f.jpg

32fountain

Established Member
What was the DA at Budds Creek on the posted pass?

What was the rpm at the end of the run in 4th gear? Did the temp ever get above 50F? Any video? Sorry about so many questions but inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, nice pass!

goat-ee

Established Member
had a new PB today.. went from 11.44 at 117.9 to this best ET.. (had a better MPH of 121.4 on a slower run)
1616795_10153772807940463_1037793227_n_zps4dbdec5f.jpg

Damn, that's flat out kicking some ass!! The mph is really impressive!! Care to tell when your locking up the converter? I have to assume that the DA was pretty impressive, how does the DA compare with previous best? 3.5 mph increase is a big increase no matter how you look at it, congrats!! I realize your not going for a mph record, but that has to be close for the mods?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread