CJ intake +a6+first couple of passes

dennisn

Established Member
Well, finally got a chance to get out and make a few passes with the new intake. Couldn't 60 to save my life. Previous best on stock intake was an 11.4 but would say consistant 11.6 - 11.8 in poor da all day long. could average 1.6x in the 60 with the occasional 1.57/8.

Now last Saturday da was 1400.

Ran consistant 12.0x with 2 passes that were 11.88/.86. da corrected to 11.69. 60's were all 1.7's with a couple 1.65/1.66

Now I realize I need to regear (running stock 315's) but was surprised et's were so bad.

Just wanted to share actual track times with cj intake and an a6.

Last edited:

dennisn

Established Member
Did you bump the shift points up for the CJ Intake?(what is it shifting at)

Yup, Shifts at 7500 plus. Did log a few passes. Tuner says everything looks good from tune aspect.

I did adjust shift to shift earlier (7000 rpm). Which netted me the better et,s.

Think I really need more passes with more data.

Bignasty321

Established Member
More gear

It just sounds like u need more gear and possibly a good convertor to keep u in your power band the whole quarter mile. Convertor is more important IMO .

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Yup, Shifts at 7500 plus. Did log a few passes. Tuner says everything looks good from tune aspect.

I did adjust shift to shift earlier (7000 rpm). Which netted me the better et,s.

Think I really need more passes with more data.

If you are shifting at 7000rpm you are leaving a LOT on the table with the CJ intake.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Reading is Fundamental.

Funny guy...

he posted this

"Yup, Shifts at 7500 plus. Did log a few passes. Tuner says everything looks good from tune aspect.

"

Which leads me to believe he changed the shift points from 7500 to 7000? How else was I supposed to read this? I'm not sure why that would net him better ETs but its been proven the cj and boss need more rpms.

Shaun@AED

By the logs it looks to need some gear. 3.31 or 3.55, if not 4.30's for Traps at the top of 4th rather than 3rd. Trap RPM was 7000, which was near perfect for the GT intake but too low for the SCJ.

The 2-3 shift recovery was the worst. Nearly 7600 at the top of 2nd dropping to 5100.
Under 6500RPM the stock GT intake makes more power, so without a gear change to take advantage of the added power over 6500, it makes sense the car was slower.

IMO you need to get out of the hole at a higher RPM than the 3200 logged and a gear change will help.

I'm on the fence about ending in 3rd with 3.31's or going to 4.30's and ending in 4th.
That 2400+RPM drop from 2nd to 3rd is killing you. Steeper gears would not only help recovery after the shift, but likely help the 60ft as well.

Or we could try shifting into an unlocked converter and locking it later in the run.
2nd and 3rd gear are locked in the current tune. 1st gear still took too long IMO at 2.5 seconds, and gears will help that.

86merc

Established Member
My best ET and MPH came with lowering my shift points in each gear. Like 7500 on the 1-2, 7300 on the 2-3 and 7000 on the 3-4. Granted it is a mt82 car with 3.73 and 28" tires. But same day, same track and in worse DA the car picked up with less rpm. The trans gearing may have something to do with that. But I am just not sold just yet that the CJ (on a GT engine) will ET and MPH best with real high rpm in every gear.

I believe Shaun when he says it needs a higher stall and gearing. That makes sense to keep it in the power band more. But I am not 100% sold the CJ on a coyote need 7500+ rpm to get the most out of it. I have only seen a couple people test different RPM with the CJ on the same day and same track.

The CJ makes the same HP from 6800 to 7800. That is great. But look at the formula to calculate horse power, HP=(RPM * T) / 5252. The torque is falling off the higher the motor spins. The RPM in the equation is what keeps the HP number stay up there. So can the lack of torque up in the RPM slow the car? Remember, torque is a measurable force. Horse power is from a calculation based on torque. It gives you an idea of the torque production through out the rpm.

Last edited:

sinistr302

Established Member
Well, finally got a chance to get out and make a few passes with the new intake. Couldn't 60 to save my life. Previous best on stock intake was an 11.4 but would say consistant 11.6 - 11.8 in poor da all day long. could average 1.6x in the 60 with the occasional 1.57/8.

Now last Saturday da was 1400.

Ran consistant 12.0x with 2 passes that were 11.88. da corrected to 11.69. 60's were all high 1.7's with one 1.70.

Now I realize I need to regear (running stock 315's) but was surprised et's were so bad.

Just wanted to share actual track times with cj intake and an a6.

What size cai? was it on 93 pump?

86merc

Established Member
Just so you guys know, Dennis picked up this car and has been to the track more than anyone I know. He has changed the combo, spent time and money and worked to get the car to go quicker and quicker. There is no doubt that Dennis with the help of friends, and his tuner, will get the most out of the car.

Good luck Dennis!

dennisn

Established Member
By the logs it looks to need some gear. 3.31 or 3.55, if not 4.30's for Traps at the top of 4th rather than 3rd. Trap RPM was 7000, which was near perfect for the GT intake but too low for the SCJ.

The 2-3 shift recovery was the worst. Nearly 7600 at the top of 2nd dropping to 5100.
Under 6500RPM the stock GT intake makes more power, so without a gear change to take advantage of the added power over 6500, it makes sense the car was slower.

IMO you need to get out of the hole at a higher RPM than the 3200 logged and a gear change will help.

I'm on the fence about ending in 3rd with 3.31's or going to 4.30's and ending in 4th.
That 2400+RPM drop from 2nd to 3rd is killing you. Steeper gears would not only help recovery after the shift, but likely help the 60ft as well.

Or we could try shifting into an unlocked converter and locking it later in the run.
2nd and 3rd gear are locked in the current tune. 1st gear still took too long IMO at 2.5 seconds, and gears will help that.

Thanks for the info Shaun, I do appreciate everything you've been doing.

I'm not sure which route I'm going to go with the gears yet. I am going to wind up spraying it with 100 maybe a 125 shot eventually but want to dial this in first. I have stage 3 cams sitting next to me just not sure if I'm gonna put em in yet either. My guess is they will have something to do with what gear I chose.

I just wanted to post some actual track times with the auto as I know people have been waiting to see how it does on the track.

I drove the car to florida just to get a couple of passes in. Loaded to the hilt. slicks, skinnies, 2 sets of golf clubs as well as luggage.

Need to revise original post also. Just went thru all my time slips and looks like I did have a couple of 1.65/6 60's that netted the 11.86/8 passes.

dennisn

Established Member
Just so you guys know, Dennis picked up this car and has been to the track more than anyone I know. He has changed the combo, spent time and money and worked to get the car to go quicker and quicker. There is no doubt that Dennis with the help of friends, and his tuner, will get the most out of the car.

Good luck Dennis!

Thanks Mike, I have had a lot of help.

Do want to thank Drew (bluesnake) for his help also. His port job and cai and install on everything. It looks sexy as all hell.

4VFTW

Established Member
Funny guy...

he posted this

"Yup, Shifts at 7500 plus. Did log a few passes. Tuner says everything looks good from tune aspect.

"

Which leads me to believe he changed the shift points from 7500 to 7000? How else was I supposed to read this? I'm not sure why that would net him better ETs but its been proven the cj and boss need more rpms.
I wasn't trying to be funny I was pointing out that as per his original post RPM's alone are not the issue.

nordy racer

Established Member

love the above comment :).. and people were laughing at me saying 430's are not the way to go.. I cant wait till Friday so I can show what my car can do with 430's , CJ and 7700 shifting :rockon:

EJR

Established Member
Sounds to me like you need more converter as well. If Shaun is logging 2400rpm shift extensions.... thats god awful. I had a cammed LS car before the boss and when my converter was too tight... it was literally a stove coming into the next gear with a 2000 rpm shift extension. I changed the converter and shift extension was roughly 800-1000rpm. Car was literally night and day.

If i were you OP, id step to the 5C converter and jump to a 3.31 gear. If you choose to not go the route of a looser converter, then go 4.30s. Idk how your powerband looks either, but I would actually shift right at 8k with my boss intake simply to put me in a better spot in the next gear.

Users who are viewing this thread