Chevrolet SS… Thoughts?

ZiaRunner

Established Member
Any experience or thoughts on these? They seem to be selling for about 40k-50k with low to mid mileage. Need the 4 doors. Worth it?

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I doubt you are looking, but you can find some pretty clean caprice police cars on FB market etc for cheap… some have been cam swapped etc… I have been tempted. I would do the DOD delete, exhaust and a decent little cam…by cheap I mean between 10-15K for most..

IMG_2421.jpeg
IMG_2422.jpeg
IMG_2423.jpeg

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
There's a white 2017 Chevy SS with 46,942 miles selling for $46,695. at a dealership in Bethesda, MD. That's strong money! Just like this one (couldn't copy/paste from the listing).

Ei2KmSoVkAAvNsS

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Any experience or thoughts on these? They seem to be selling for about 40k-50k with low to mid mileage. Need the 4 doors. Worth it?
My biggest gripe is the rear seats do not fold down, you got a 2 foot square pass through. So if you can't stuff it through that opening then you are not going to be taking or carrying it. The 2014 have a regular suspension, the 15 to 17 have mag ride, but the 14's handle the best but they are on the slightly rough side if you are on less than smooth road surfaces, but it isn't punishing. 14's are also all auto's but the paddle shifts are crisp not lightning fast but also not any real pause between shifts. 15 to 17 about 25% of those came in 6 speed. Also the final drive gearing is 3.27 for the Auto and the manuals got a higher 3.70 to help with acceleration and to keep the 0-60 times about the same.

Only 12,927 was imported between 2013 to mid 2017. 2017 is the largest at 4008 being imported and 2016 was the least at 2235? (Got to relook but it was 22XX for sure). Fuel economy I could get almost 28 MPG highway town it was all over from low 12.7 clear up to almost 19 if I somehow avoided red lights to get that. Rarest is the Alchemy purple only 69 was imported in late 2015. Oh and here is something else that most people do not know the doors are the same as the Pontiac G-8 except the G-8's doorhandles are body color the SS are chrome strip for the handle.

Sadly I sold mine to help with a family member that is now in a nursing home But I still made almost 17,000 when I sold mine in August of last year. I paid $32,000 in 2019 and sold it for $42,000. So between that and what I paid off I made $17,000

Attachments

• IMG_0987.JPG
    IMG_0987.JPG
    302.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0994.JPG
    IMG_0994.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 79

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It is crazy they are basically selling for the same and even more now than when they were new… for a while gm was heavily incentivizing these to move them..

Yep, they were nearly giving them away towards the end. Would be a good idea to have one an as investment. especially one with a manual and the good suspension.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
love the car but not willing to pay MSRP for a 7 year old car, especially a chevy

FYI... a pontiac G8 GT is basically the same car for a third of the price
Thats what I was thinking as well, a Pontiac G8 GT would be cheaper but I dont think they made them past 2010. IMO, I think they look nicer too.

Looking into the SS, most "near" me are in the high 30's/40's with 50k miles. Not too horrible, practically very low miles for that strong engine

Last edited:

robvas

Established Member
Really liked my G8. Paid like 15k for it at a dealer and it was mint! 3 years old. But $40k + for an SS today? Woof. I'd honestly spend less on a Charger if it were me.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
I doubt you are looking, but you can find some pretty clean caprice police cars on FB market etc for cheap… some have been cam swapped etc… I have been tempted. I would do the DOD delete, exhaust and a decent little cam…by cheap I mean between 10-15K for most..

View attachment 1796484View attachment 1796485

SCHWIIIINNNNGGGG !!!!!

One of these has my name written alllllll over it.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
SCHWIIIINNNNGGGG !!!!!

One of these has my name written alllllll over it.

Ive heard that the caprice PPVs are a little more difficult as far as parts availability. Like they used Australian specific parts on the police cars but the G8 and SS dont have this issue.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
Was going to buy one until the dealer told me they sold the black one and only had red ones.

20% off MSRP for 39k for the last year model.
No surprise they've held strong value wise. Chevy was retarded in marketing them

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Ive heard that the caprice PPVs are a little more difficult as far as parts availability. Like they used Australian specific parts on the police cars but the G8 and SS dont have this issue.
They sure hell do have that issue. The plastic vent that the windshield wipers poke out of is unobtanium and has been for the last 5 years, so anything happens to it you are SOL on trying to replace it. The headlights are $1250 a piece, then the knee airbags that are below the steering column dash pad is another thing as the US spec are gone you can buy the Australian types but since they do not have the DOT code they are not approved to be installed on any US spec SS/Holden.

I know of 6 owners that have bought said airbags and no one not even their friends that does body work will install them as if they do they could be shut down and out of a career. If the Feds found out it was them that installed said illegal airbags in the vehicle after a wreck that deployed them. So if they do deploy the insurance company would cut you a check and then best move on as you would have a totally useless vehicle that can not be fixed no matter if you had the cash to fix it.

robvas

Established Member
I waited months for tie rods or something for my GTO back in the day...even Pedders didn't have them.

MFE

Established Member
I daily a 2016 SS and I really enjoy it. I came out of an 08 G8 GT which got wrecked. The G8 remains a better looking car, somewhat distinctive, whereas the SS is very often mistaken for a Malibu (whose designer also did the SS).

The sound system on the SS sucks sweaty balls. The sound system in virtually any modern car you can think of is better.

The LS3 engine is pretty damned reliable but there seems to be a risk of broken valvesprings as mileage accumulates. It does not have the failure-prone Displacement on Demand system that the G8 GT's L76 engine had. The closest thing the G8 had was the very limited production GXP. In fact, the SS is basically a G8 GXP with different skin.

Overall I like the car for a DD. It's pretty fast, comfortable, will carry 4 or even 5 adults comfortably, but gas mileage kinda blows. I average 18 mph in mixed commuting, never more than 24 on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread