Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 is GO!

snakecharmer

Established Member
I really hope GM does build this car. The rendering of what it looks like cleans up the body lines and makes it look even better than the regular Camaro already looks IMO. Certainly much better than the hideous abortion Ford slapped the Mustang badge on for 2010. If they build it, I'll buy it.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Hell the standard GT wins anyway!

In the magazine tests that I have read, the Mustang GT does brake better, and handle more "nimble" than the other two, but when it comes to acceleration, the extra h.p. of the SS seems to prevail by approx. 1 second in the 1/4 mile and the extra bulk of the Challenger drags it down to the Mustang GT's level in acceleration. Come to think of it, the magazine tests that I have read use the 375 horse 5.7L Challenger R/T as the Dodge sample, and not the 6.1L 425 horse SRT8.

Oh, that's right, the Camaro is the hype item right now, we can't bring in the top performers from "past hype". If they were to bring in the 540 horse GT500 or the 425 horse 6speed Track Pak optioned Challenger SRT8 with its 3.92 rear axle, the Camaro SS would not look as good, it is all about what is "hype". I believe I did see a 425 horse SRT8 Challenger in some magazine tests, problem is, they picked an auto trans model, they have a 3.06 gear. What a slug at 4K pounds.

But, heavy or not, I think Dodge did a Great job for "retro looking" car. It is not the fastest, but it looks good and because it is a little larger, tall people like me fit in it...........It almost sounds like I bought one, doesn't it!!?!?!?!?

R

Last edited:

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
...If they were to bring in the 540 horse GT500 or the 425 horse 6speed Track Pak optioned Challenger SRT8 with its 3.92 rear axle, the Camaro SS would not look as good, it is all about what is "hype". I believe I did see a 425 horse SRT8 Challenger in some magazine tests, problem is, they picked an auto trans model, they have a 3.06 gear. What a slug at 4K pounds.
R

Most magazines don't test the Camaro SS against the GT500 because the GT500 costs $50k with gas guzzler tax and delivery. The SS is more comparable to the GT in price in the mid 30's. The $15k difference puts the GT 500 in a different class.

The Z-28 will probably be cost competitive with the Shelby. And consider this, the money you spend on the Z-28 might actually go towards improvements in the car, unlike the Shelby where a considerable chunk of sticker price goes to Carrol Shelby just so Ford can license his name. When Ford decided to call the 2007 Cobra a Shelby, engineering lost and marketing won. It took 3 years for Ford to figure out how to make the car handle properly. Name one other SVT product that had a bad handling reputation of the 2007 Shelby... Even the LIGHTNING PICKUP was known for it's very good handling.

Don't get me wrong, I bleed Ford blue, but the fact of business is that the GT is underpowered in 2010, the Shelby is overpriced, and the competition is just going to keep getting better. Don't underestimate them.

ironpeddler

Established Member
The Z28 will most likely have the CTS-V engine which is not forged, nor is it hand made. Also the LSA engine(CTS-V) weighs 150 lbs. more than the LS3 engine(Camaro SS). Given the weight of the Camaro SS already at 38XX lbs. swap the LSA in there I mean it's quite possible the Camaro Z28 could weight 4100+lbs. I serioulsy doubt GM will change the independent rear suspension into a live rear axle. I forsee the Z28 being a fatter pig than the gt500 IMHO.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The Z-28 will be heavier, but it may also make more power. The engine we're talking about is also in the 600 horsepower ZR-1 'Vette. Also consider that it has a TVS style blower from the factory.

Just remember that if the Mustang ties the Camaro in reality, in the world of the mainstream automotive press, it (the Mustang) will lose. We have to beat them hands-down in order to come out on top. It can't even be close. Remember some of the early tests saying that the stock SS was almost as fast as the Shelby? See, the mainstream press rips an extra half second from the Camaro's quarter mile time just because it's the Chevy.

Now if Ford gives us the Aluminum block, AND a standard TVS...:pepper:

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
True. But in recent memory the Camaro has had a leg up since the LS1 came about. The entire LS series of engines are awesome, very well built and engineered motors. Their biggest advantage is that they respond soooo well to mods. This is why the 03 Cobra was so epic. You could make near 500 rwhp with just bolt ons.

True. That's why I stated that it's been an ongoing back and forth battle between the two since 1967 and will continue to be so. It's a great time to be a musclecar enthusiast. :coolman:

Last edited:

Zan186

Established Member
The first time that I can remember when the Mustang bar was raised well above the Camaro was the 2000 Cobra R. It was built to compete with the Z06 of that era (385h.p.) and the Viper. The Camaro was left in the dust.......and then discontinued two years later. Since that time, what pony car has stepped up to challenge Ford? The 390 horse 03's and 04's have come and gone, the 500 horse GT500, now 540 horse, what has been offered by the others that is even close to the current top performer Mustang? There is a reason why very few magazines test the SRT8 Challenger or the Camaro SS against the GT500. They use a Mustang GT as their "test example" for a reason.

R

Umm, NO. Completely different kind of car, completely different niche and completely different buyers.
The car Ford made to compete with the Viper and the Corvette (along with Ferrari and Lambo's) is the Ford GT.
Mustang is for the most part a pony car/muscle car. Vipers/Vette's and the GT are Supercars/Sports cars.
Mustangs for the most part are built with drag strip racing. hence solid rear axle. Supercars are designed for performance. Yes you can build a car to do anything but when a company builds a car they do it for a large mass of intended buyers.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Umm, NO. Completely different kind of car, completely different niche and completely different buyers.
The car Ford made to compete with the Viper and the Corvette (along with Ferrari and Lambo's) is the Ford GT.
Mustang is for the most part a pony car/muscle car. Vipers/Vette's and the GT are Supercars/Sports cars.
Mustangs for the most part are built with drag strip racing. hence solid rear axle. Supercars are designed for performance. Yes you can build a car to do anything but when a company builds a car they do it for a large mass of intended buyers.

No you're wrong. Robert's correct! :coolman:

ironpeddler

Established Member
The Z-28 will be heavier, but it may also make more power. The engine we're talking about is also in the 600 horsepower ZR-1 'Vette. Also consider that it has a TVS style blower from the factory.

Just remember that if the Mustang ties the Camaro in reality, in the world of the mainstream automotive press, it (the Mustang) will lose. We have to beat them hands-down in order to come out on top. It can't even be close. Remember some of the early tests saying that the stock SS was almost as fast as the Shelby? See, the mainstream press rips an extra half second from the Camaro's quarter mile time just because it's the Chevy.

Now if Ford gives us the Aluminum block, AND a standard TVS...:pepper:

The engine that will be in the Z28 will be the same engine that's in the CTS-V. The Z28 will not have the same engine as the ZR-1 vette. I mean seriously the ZR1 sells for over $100k, you actually think they would put that engine in a $50k camaro. Basically the same performance, slightly less, for $50k cheaper. Go to camaro5.com, there are so many threads about this. It'll be the LSA engine not the LS9 engine that's in the ZR1. The LSA makes around 560hp. I believe.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
I mean seriously the ZR1 sells for over $100k, you actually think they would put that engine in a $50k camaro. Basically the same performance, slightly less, for $50k cheaper.

You never know. The GT500 has a very similar powertrain to the $150k Ford GT.

Think about this (my plan if I were in charge)...

Maybe the Z28 will have the LS9 block/components with the LSA blower. That would give the Camaro guys a strong, robust engine with a slightly smaller blower. The LS9 would still remain exclusive to the ZR1.

KB and Whipple sales would go through the roof, as the could easily modify their GT500 blower combos to work on the Camaro.

bpmurr

Established Member
I tell you one thing. They are going to have to do a lot of work on that Camaro Interior to come close to the interior in my 2010 GT500.

mustangc

This too shall pass
Established Member
The engine that will be in the Z28 will be the same engine that's in the CTS-V. The Z28 will not have the same engine as the ZR-1 vette. I mean seriously the ZR1 sells for over $100k, you actually think they would put that engine in a $50k camaro. Basically the same performance, slightly less, for $50k cheaper. Go to camaro5.com, there are so many threads about this. It'll be the LSA engine not the LS9 engine that's in the ZR1. The LSA makes around 560hp. I believe.

You're right. Some of the higher priced goodies in the LS9 will not make it into the Z-28 (like the sodium filled exhaust valves and titanium rods). But the main power difference between the 630 hp LS9 and the 550 hp LS9 is the supercharger displacement. The LS9 uses the 2.3 TVS while the LSA uses a 1.9L. 1.9L is ~116 cubic inches, so that is very comparible to the 122 c.i. roots in the Shelby, with the added benefit of being a TVS. I heard the Z-28 will use an LS8... an engine slotted between the LSA and the LS9. It may be an LSA with the 2.3 TVS and forges pistons...:shrug:

The CTS-V is putting down 485 horsepower through an automatic. The 2010 Shelby's are putting down similar numbers (with some hitting as high as 510) with a 6-speed.

I guess what I'm saying is the Z-28 will be a threat. Chevy won't bother introducing it if they don't think it will run with the Shelby. We need to be prepaired.

Stripe Delete

Crazy SVT Poser
Established Member
Go Z28!
sick of GTOs and a buch of Vette owners that just like to watch.:poke:
Needs the LS9 at least for a limited run.:read:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
You're right. Some of the higher priced goodies in the LS9 will not make it into the Z-28 (like the sodium filled exhaust valves and titanium rods). But the main power difference between the 630 hp LS9 and the 550 hp LS9 is the supercharger displacement. The LS9 uses the 2.3 TVS while the LSA uses a 1.9L. 1.9L is ~116 cubic inches, so that is very comparible to the 122 c.i. roots in the Shelby, with the added benefit of being a TVS. I heard the Z-28 will use an LS8... an engine slotted between the LSA and the LS9. It may be an LSA with the 2.3 TVS and forges pistons...:shrug:

The CTS-V is putting down 485 horsepower through an automatic. The 2010 Shelby's are putting down similar numbers (with some hitting as high as 510) with a 6-speed.

I guess what I'm saying is the Z-28 will be a threat. Chevy won't bother introducing it if they don't think it will run with the Shelby. We need to be prepaired.

I don't think Ford is too worried. The 2011 GT500 will have 550 hp, 3:73s and a weight advantage. They could also slap on the FRPP TVS from their parts bin and easliy make 600+hp. :coolman:

Last edited:

Captain Beyond

Established Member
I tell you one thing. They are going to have to do a lot of work on that Camaro Interior to come close to the interior in my 2010 GT500.

And don't forget the exterior too. Those Camaros are still ugly. :xpl:

Users who are viewing this thread