Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 is GO!

fastlif

Established Member
I'll believe it when I see it but if the automatic 550hp version makes it, I will have one in addition to the Shelby. A few bolt-ons and a big stall will be lots of fun.

Captain Beyond

Established Member
The article states that it will weigh 200-300 lbs. less than the 4300 lb. CTS-V. :eek: That's Challenger weight. :bored:

Last edited:

Brian Z.

Established Member
It will still likely be an "ill-handling" pig like the current SS (which is how the camaro has been described). Competition is good so I'm all for it but I'm guessing by 2011 Ford will have already raised the bar even higher so the crapmaro will fail again.

earl lee

Established Member
It will still likely be an "ill-handling" pig like the current SS (which is how the camaro has been described). Competition is good so I'm all for it but I'm guessing by 2011 Ford will have already raised the bar even higher so the crapmaro will fail again.

First year shelby's handle like ass to, nose heavy with oversteer. Of course given a few years out, Ford has fixed that problem.

Give GM some years, they'll fix it. Least I hope they do, or they will be stuck in that bad GM thinking. The mindset of, well thats how we made it and we dont care to fix it.

Shaker1

Walkin' on Sunshine
Established Member
If the CTS-V does 12.4 stock and the Z/28 is 200-300 lbs lighter it will be formidable. Not my cup of tea, but nothing to sneeze at. Plus, it is forcing Ford to raise the bar.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
It's been over 40 years, ford hasn't raised the bar against the camaro yet.

The first time that I can remember when the Mustang bar was raised well above the Camaro was the 2000 Cobra R. It was built to compete with the Z06 of that era (385h.p.) and the Viper. The Camaro was left in the dust.......and then discontinued two years later. Since that time, what pony car has stepped up to challenge Ford? The 390 horse 03's and 04's have come and gone, the 500 horse GT500, now 540 horse, what has been offered by the others that is even close to the current top performer Mustang? There is a reason why very few magazines test the SRT8 Challenger or the Camaro SS against the GT500. They use a Mustang GT as their "test example" for a reason.

R

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
The first time that I can remember when the Mustang bar was raised well above the Camaro was the 2000 Cobra R. It was built to compete with the Z06 of that era (385h.p.) and the Viper. The Camaro was left in the dust.......and then discontinued two years later. Since that time, what pony car has stepped up to challenge Ford? The 390 horse 03's and 04's have come and gone, the 500 horse GT500, now 540 horse, what has been offered by the others that is even close to the current top performer Mustang? There is a reason why very few magazines test the SRT8 Challenger or the Camaro SS against the GT500. They use a Mustang GT as their "test example" for a reason.

R

+1! And dont forget the Mach 1! Sure its only rated at 305hp but that was a little on the conservative side. The Mach 1 stock is a drivers race for a stock SS or WS6.

Captain Beyond

Established Member

R

+1 :beer:

Some people seem to forget (or ignore) history. :rolleyes: Remember the 5.0 Stangs of the early 80s-early 90s? The Camaro had nothing on them. :burnout:
To say that the Camaro has always out performed the Mustang is totally absurd :bored: It has always been a back and forth battle of the ponycars. Some years the Mustang reigned supreme and other years the Camaro.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
+1 :beer:

Some people seem to forget (or ignore) history. :rolleyes: Remember the 5.0 Stangs of the early 80s-early 90s? The Camaro had nothing on them. :burnout:
To say that the Camaro has always out performed the Mustang is totally absurd :bored: It has always been a back and forth battle of the ponycars. Some years the Mustang reigned supreme and other years the Camaro.

True. But in recent memory the Camaro has had a leg up since the LS1 came about. The entire LS series of engines are awesome, very well built and engineered motors. Their biggest advantage is that they respond soooo well to mods. This is why the 03 Cobra was so epic. You could make near 500 rwhp with just bolt ons.

03terminator77

LacedWithVenom
Established Member
True. But in recent memory the Camaro has had a leg up since the LS1 came about. The entire LS series of engines are awesome, very well built and engineered motors. Their biggest advantage is that they respond soooo well to mods. This is why the 03 Cobra was so epic. You could make near 500 rwhp with just bolt ons.

Agree....:beer:

tomustang

Returning Video Tapes
Established Member

R

Race car vs production car is far from competing in the same league. Come on it's been Z28 vs mustang gt for ages now, and the camaro has edged out the gt too many times.

And a seat delete to make a cobra 2 seat coupe vs a bred sports car like the z06, we all know how that turned out. Ford did a great job with the R, but having it take on a z06 and thinking it would win...?

Why did for decide to make the cobra even better after the camaro died, because ford doesn't compete with performance but with sales.

Last edited:

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
Race car vs production car is far from competing in the same league. Come on it's been Z28 vs mustang gt for ages now, and the camaro has edged out the gt too many times.

And a seat delete to make a cobra 2 seat coupe vs a bred sports car like the z06, we all know how that turned out. Ford did a great job with the R, but having it take on a z06 and thinking it would win...?

Why did for decide to make the cobra even better after the camaro died, because ford doesn't compete with performance but with sales.

Hey sales is how you stay afloat in buisiness............Oh wait no its not its government bailouts!:lol1:

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member

And yes, that is the way it "was" until 2000. Previous to that, the 1995 R Model was built to compete with the Camaro as were other Mustangs before and after, but in 2000 SVT "kicked it up a notch", or two, or maybe three........

Fully street legal Ford assy. line car sounds "production" to me, limited number yes, but fully street legal, fully emissions legal, 50 state, "Title" makes it a production car. Now, a race car...............500CJ, the Dodge Challenger drag cars, the FR500's etc., those are race cars with no hope of street duty. I'll bet that they each way less that a 2000 Cobra R also, or if they do not, they have more than 385h.p. to tote their weight.

While owning my 2000 Cobra R, I have gathered an extremely large collection of facts from that 2000/01/02 time period. Many of the magazines were 2000 Cobra R features only, but some have the 2000R in the arena with the 2001 Z06 and others have all three, the 00R, Z06 and Viper. The 385h.p. 2000 Cobra R was no slouch against the 385h.p. Z06, it out pulled the Z06, out braked and out skid padded the Z06............so much for no hope of winning. It seems as time goes by, facts are forgotten.

This is one of my favorite magazine clips for that era.............

DSCN2341.gif

I must admit that the 2000 Cobra R lost this race after a 2-3 mis-shift by the editor (as mentioned in the feature), but it still ran a 12.85 to the Z06 12.78. Car and Drive did a side-by-side thrashing, 168 top speed for the 01 Z06, 177 top speed for the 00R. <<Not bad for a Ford assy. line pony car from that era, especially against GM's top of the line premier sports car.

I have many, many more comparision numbers if they are needed, Z06 .96g on the skid pad, 00R 1.02g..........

Other facts, the Z06 was approx. 200lbs lighter that the heavy 2000 Cobra R, even with the 00R deletes. These magazines are good reading, it brings back the reality of what is fact and what is not, from the time period when both cars were new and tested by the magazines. [email protected] was the best 1/4 mile I have found on the 2000 Cobra R, again, not bad for a pony car from that era. The Camaro SS was not in that league, and the Corvette guys were crying foul.

But it's just a Mustang............and no Super Charger!?!?!? :??:

R

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread