Check out my new set of wheels and tires! Pics inside.

kilroy

Powered by Ford/FRPP/ATS
Established Member
TheHolyCobra said:
~snip~I had them cut and then add a 1.5" band of metal to the inside of the wheel as you can see. I saw that a member on this board had done this to his wheels, and he recommended Weldcraft for their good pricing and EXCELLENT work. I will get the tires mounted and balanced tomorrow and then hopefully get them mounted when my IRS bolts come from Tousley Ford that I can grind down.
~snip~
Please leave some comments and if you guys have any more questions feel free to ask!

THC
First off, the welds look great. How much clearance will there be? If nothing was added to the wheel's mounting pad, then the backspacing is that much deeper & closer to the dreaded bolt. I know you're gonna grind them down - but is there room to do it?

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
kilroy said:
First off, the welds look great. How much clearance will there be? If nothing was added to the wheel's mounting pad, then the backspacing is that much deeper & closer to the dreaded bolt. I know you're gonna grind them down - but is there room to do it?

I talked to the gentleman that did this exact same thing to his wheels and this is what he had to say:

topless10th said:
the extra 1 1/2" goes on the inside of the wheel and the spacers that look the best(i tried them all) are 3/8" machined down to .275" thickness. you will not need longer studs or lug nuts but you MUST grind down the IRS bolt(easy).

I don't know what brand tires hes got, but they must be BFGs or something wider because from what I hear these wheels have a backspacing of 6.12" compared to the 6.9" of the AFS 03 Cobra 10.5" replicas. According to most people on this board, they shave the IRS bolt 1/4 inch and then are fine for clearance. I know he recommends 3/8 inch spacers shaved to .275 inch but I don't think I will need to use them because I have the Nittos. Also, as you can see in my pictures, the tread on the Nittos extends to about 11.75 inches, and from the chart that can be seen below that is the same cross dimensions that a Nitoo 555R would have on the 10.5" wheel.

TIRES.gif

I also talked to MANY people that have the AFS 10.5" wheels with Nitto 555Rs and they say that all they had to do was grind down the bolt to make them fit with enough clearance when the suspension is fully unloaded.

Thanks for the concern though, and lemme know what the rest of you think!

THC

Last edited:

gunslinger

Established Member
That's what I was thinking about, and yes they can! But they will have to weld on a 1.25" spacer and you will need the 3" wheel studs[/QUOTE]
what size u think they would make them 17x3"?

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
I will do a search but maybe posting this might be quicker...

By the way, what you guys recommend that I run these things at pressure wise:

On the street?
At the track?

Thanks in advance,

THC

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
TheHolyCobra said:
I will do a search but maybe posting this might be quicker...

By the way, what you guys recommend that I run these things at pressure wise:

On the street?
At the track?

Thanks in advance,

THC

I run mine at 27 street and 15 strip.

RED2003COBRA

Established Member
Amazing rims dude. I've got the same rims and want to do this modification so bad. I was thinking of getting different rims so I can put on a wider tire, but I love my ann. rims. I'm assuming you've run those rims for a little while now. Any issues or recommendations.

Lance

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
03 svtvenom said:
I am still waiting for the pictures of them on the car. Come on TheHolyCobra, quit holding out on us!!

OK Venom, I will go take pictures of it now just for you. Be warned, there is about 6 inches of snow here on the ground so I must resort to taking the pictures in my garage.

Be back in 15 minutes,

THC

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
96stanggt said:
20 minutes and counting....:D

Give me a break, I thought my baby was clean so I could take the pictures right away. But guess what, she didn't seem to wipe herself very well after she cristened off her new virgin rubber a couple of weeks ago....I tried to clean up the basics and didn't get to clean up the gas tanks or the pipes so excuse that extra dirt.

Anyways, here are the pictures. As you can see by the following picture, this is the view outside of my garage.

ResizeofDSC01000.jpg

^^I am in dire need of an enclosed trailer to take it to my heated hangar where it will sit undisturbed untill April or May. As stated before, excuse the dirt because I haven't had warm enough weather to be able to wash the car entirely without the water freezing. My garage is unheated, hence why I need to get it to the hangar at the airport.

As for the wheels, I ended up using a H&R 1" spacer with integrated lugs.

ResizeofDSC01001.jpg

ResizeofDSC01002.jpg

ResizeofDSC01003.jpg

As you can see in the pictures below, I have plenty of IRS bolt clearance. I know it doesn't look like much in the pictures, but I safely have about 1" of clearance on the ground (on the drivers side too :thumbsup: ) with these spacers.

ResizeofDSC01005.jpg

ResizeofDSC01007.jpg

ResizeofDSC01008.jpg

ResizeofDSC01009.jpg

ResizeofDSC01011.jpg

ResizeofDSC01020.jpg

ResizeofDSC01021.jpg

You can see the welds made by Weldcraft, but you won't notice them unless you are looking for them.

ResizeofDSC01016.jpg

As for the spacers, they put the wheel out just perfectly and the Nittos do not come out pas the fenderwell. As soon as these tires wear out, I will probably put some BFG drag radials on here and my steamroller look will be complete!

ResizeofDSC01019.jpg

And here is the bad ass stance that she now has :rockon:

ResizeofDSC01004.jpg

ResizeofDSC01015.jpg

ResizeofDSC01017.jpg

If you guys want some more pictures then let me know. Also, if you know of anyone in Ohio that has an enclosed trailer that I could rent/lease/use for a short period of time then let me know.

Thanks in advance,

THC

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
TheHolyCobra said:
OK Venom, I will go take pictures of it now just for you. Be warned, there is about 6 inches of snow here on the ground so I must resort to taking the pictures in my garage.

Be back in 15 minutes,

THC

Thank you!! I bet it looks awesome in person.

:beer:

MTI LS1

So, did you just get them extended for the look?

315 Nitto will fit fine on the 9" wheel. Looks real good though, I like the 10th rims alot!!!

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
BigZach said:
So, did you just get them extended for the look?

315 Nitto will fit fine on the 9" wheel. Looks real good though, I like the 10th rims alot!!!

Well, part look, part rarity, and part for wider tires. I have enought space to where I can run some GS-D3s or some BFG drag radials, but I got the Nittos in the first place because I didn't know how much space I would have available. I originally bought the wheels/tires without spacers, learned that I would need spacers, and then used some 1" spacers.

I know it will fit on a 9" wheel, but I kind of wanted the whole 10.5" wheel thing as stated above. It does look like the Nittos are quite stretched on these wheels, but as soon as they wear out I will slap on a set of 315 BFG drag radials. Hopefully that will complete my steamroller look :thumbsup: . What would really be cool is if I could convince Nitto to make a REAL 315 or maybe even a narrow 335 drag radial like they do with their 315/35/17 currently.

If you guys want any more pictures or anything else then let me know,

THC

Rwick7

Established Member
I'd like to see some more pics THC...great idea...thought about it a year ago but never did it. Any regrets? Anything you'd do different?

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
stlblack03 said:
I'd like to see some more pics THC...great idea...thought about it a year ago but never did it. Any regrets? Anything you'd do different?

I can get some more pictures, but it might be a while because I can't really take any good pictures with inches of snow and 32* temperatures hovering around my garage.

As for regrets, I really don't have any as of now. At first, I didn't want to run spacers at all, but the idea finally grew on me and I just went ahead and put them on. I thought at first that I would have been able to get away with 3/8" or even 1/2" spacers, but then decided to go with some 1" spacers with integrated studs incase I wanted to run some wider meats later on. In fact, I will be putting a set of 315 BFG drags on once the Nittos wear out.

As for doing anything differently, I wouldn't change one thing. I like the look of the 10.5" wheels and tires, especially being a 10th Anniversary wheel. Since the extra 1.5" is added to the backspace of the wheel, the 1" spacer essentially brings out the stock wheels 1" so they sit flush with the fenderwells, making the stance much meaner and more aggressive looking. As of now, I have not had to roll the fenders either; that might change if I run some wider tires though. The beauty of it too is no one, I mean no one, has these wheels except for a few people in the country. I haven't taken them to any shows yet, but from the people on this board and a couple of MCT guys commenting about them it has already brought some positive attention. People just are astonished when they see that they are 10.5" wide.

If you need any more information then just let me know. As for the pictures, when I get some nice days here in Ohio I will clean her up and have a photo shoot.

THC

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
I have thought about this since I love my 10h Annie wheels but would like to run a wider tire. Please post pics standing 10-15 feet behind the car so we can get a good look. :)

Wouldn't it be nice if they would make the 10th Anniversary Wheel in an 18in Deep Dish / 10.5 wide wheel? !

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
BigBeez03 said:
I have thought about this since I love my 10h Annie wheels but would like to run a wider tire. Please post pics standing 10-15 feet behind the car so we can get a good look. :)

All right, I can take some pictures for you. The car is in town this afternoon so I will have to get into the shop to take them. I have a busy schedule but I will see what I can do. :D :D

BigBeez03 said:
Wouldn't it be nice if they would make the 10th Anniversary Wheel in an 18in Deep Dish / 10.5 wide wheel? !

Amen brother, then I wouldn't have had to spend all this money to get this done. Either the 18" or 17", I wouldn't complain in either size. :beer:

THC

Users who are viewing this thread