Check out my new set of wheels and tires! Pics inside.

TheHolyCobra

Widened 10th Wheel Guy...
Established Member
Screamin Cobra said:
Damn, that is so nice...i have never seen that done before and that is definately worth it!

Thanks for the complements. :beer:

I didn't get a chance to take pictures today because the shop was only open from 8AM to 12PM, and I had to transport a 1946 Willys CJ2A Jeep across town for a buddy this morning. Whenever I get a chance to get into the shop I will have myself a mini photoshoot, hopefully with a model too. :thumbsup:

THC

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
stlblack03 said:
To the Top....I'm thinking about it again...where are those pics??? :)

I will be perfectly honest with you...I have totally forgotten about getting more pictures. Sorry :bash:

It is warming up a bit around here, but it is still hovering around 40 or so degrees which is a little to cold for me to wash a car. I can take some pictures if you would like, but they will proobably be with a dirty rear end. The tires have quite a bit of dried mud water (whatever you call it) on them, and some of it has ensued onto the rims. I will definitely see what I can do though. :thumbsup:

THC

Thats pretty awesome. :beer: I hope no one flames me, since I'm not trying to steal your thunder. But, if other guys on here want to fill out their wheel wells with the 10th anniversary wheels, there's a simpler way. MM sells wheel hub spacers that come with their own studs. I have the '00 Cobra R wheels 18x9.5 on my 01 Cobra and I filled out the rear wheel well on the money with a 25mm spacer. For the 17x9 guys, a 30mm spacer would be perfect. Just something to consider in case guys don't want to ship that far or upgrade to a 315 size tire.

http://maximummotorsports.com/spacers.asp

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
Thats pretty awesome. :beer: I hope no one flames me, since I'm not trying to steal your thunder. But, if other guys on here want to fill out their wheel wells with the 10th anniversary wheels, there's a simpler way. MM sells wheel hub spacers that come with their own studs. I have the '00 Cobra R wheels 18x9.5 on my 01 Cobra and I filled out the rear wheel well on the money with a 25mm spacer. For the 17x9 guys, a 30mm spacer would be perfect. Just something to consider in case guys don't want to ship that far or upgrade to a 315 size tire.

http://maximummotorsports.com/spacers.asp

Thanks for the idea man, and I can concur on how well these spacers are constructed.

Not flaming you here at all, but if you would have read my posts about the setup I have, you would have seen that I used some H&R 25mm hubcentric spacers with integrated lugs. I ened up having to buy the 25mm (1") spacers from MM just to get the wheels to clear the IRS bolt because of the extra offset that was added.

Another thing is that people that spend their money to do this would like to benefit from the extra 1.5" of real estate on the wheel, thus allowing them to run a wider tire.

THC

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
Alright guys, the moment of truth has come...

I finally came through and endured the cold weather. It peaked to about 46* yesterday, so I decided to bite the bullet and wash the car. Got her looking real clean, but I froze my ass of just so I could get some pictures for you guys. Once I got done, I proceeded to kick myself in my ass after I pulled up weather.com and checked to see what the weather was going to be like for today. Ended up being 60* and there was sun everywhere. Ohh well, atleast the car is clean and I got pictures for you all!

If you guys have any questions or want some specific pictures, then let me know.

ResizeOfDSC01462.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01458.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01456.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01454.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01445.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01444.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01443.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01442.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01440.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01433.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01431.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01425.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01423.jpg

ResizeOfDSC01422.jpg

THC

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
stlblack03 said:
Looks good man...thanks for the pics. Lower it down a little and it'll make a big difference.

That is what I would like to do, but I think my front splitter and driveway would meet very abruptly every time I come and go from the house. :fm: :cuss:

My open air Worthington car trailer also doesn't like me at the stock ride height...I have to resort to putting some 12"x6"x1.5" heavy duty wood boards before the ramps just so the front splitter won't grind into the ramps. :bash:

I have been eyeing the Steeda or Eibach springs lately, but I will have to do some measuring to see if the idea is even feasable. I would love to lower it, but I don't think the cosmetic damages that would ensue would make it worth it. :(

THC

Rwick7

Established Member
Try pulling all the stock isolators out with the stock springs. Sits real nice that way and I don't notice any noise at all.

TheHolyCobra said:
Thanks for the idea man, and I can concur on how well these spacers are constructed.

Not flaming you here at all, but if you would have read my posts about the setup I have, you would have seen that I used some H&R 25mm hubcentric spacers with integrated lugs. I ened up having to buy the 25mm (1") spacers from MM just to get the wheels to clear the IRS bolt because of the extra offset that was added.

Another thing is that people that spend their money to do this would like to benefit from the extra 1.5" of real estate on the wheel, thus allowing them to run a wider tire.

THC

I don't understand how you were running into the IRS bolt, if the wheel hub spaer goes on top of the stock wheel hub spacer. I can understand the point about the extra offset, but the wheelhub spacer gives you additional distance from the IRS bolt.

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
01cobravortech said:
I don't understand how you were running into the IRS bolt, if the wheel hub spaer goes on top of the stock wheel hub spacer. I can understand the point about the extra offset, but the wheelhub spacer gives you additional distance from the IRS bolt.

Alright man, I will try to play this out for you.

Before I widened these wheels, the offset of the stock wheels was 6.12". That means there is 6.12" of wheel that extends from the mounting point of the wheel to the back lip of the wheel. At this point, the IRS bolt is far enough away from the wheel that it is a non-existent problem. Look at the picture below:

Stock10thAnniWheel.jpg

After I got them widened, the backspace was then increased to 7.62" because that extra 1.5" was added TO the backspace of the wheel. Because of this, the IRS bolt now posed to be a significant problem, and when I tried to fit the wheel onto the car I could not seat the wheel onto the car 100%. Look at the picture below:

Widened10thAnniWheel.jpg

Because of this dilemma, I needed a little more than a half inch of clearance provided by a spacer, but because I didn't want to stack spacers, I chose to use an H&R 1" (25mm) spacer with integrated lugs. The 1" spacer would then bring my wheel out 1" away from the backspace, thus dropping my backspace from 7.62" to 6.62". Look at the picture below:

Widened10thAnniWheelwithSpacer.jpg

Now I am fine and dandy clearance wise with the IRS bolt, and I am hoping that I can run some BFG drags after these Nittos wear out.

Hope this helps to explain my situation,

THC

03 svtvenom

Repent!!!
Established Member
Its about freakin' time you get some pics on here!! I have to say though, they dont look good on red. I think they would look better on black. Do you take paypal? ;-)
Looks nice man!! I hear ya with the driveway. I thought the same thing before I got the Kenny Brown's installed. The only I can get in and out of mine is to back in at an angle. If not it rubs.

TheHolyCobra said:
Alright man, I will try to play this out for you.

Before I widened these wheels, the offset of the stock wheels was 6.12". That means there is 6.12" of wheel that extends from the mounting point of the wheel to the back lip of the wheel. At this point, the IRS bolt is far enough away from the wheel that it is a non-existent problem. Look at the picture below:

Stock10thAnniWheel.jpg

After I got them widened, the backspace was then increased to 7.62" because that extra 1.5" was added TO the backspace of the wheel. Because of this, the IRS bolt now posed to be a significant problem, and when I tried to fit the wheel onto the car I could not seat the wheel onto the car 100%. Look at the picture below:

Widened10thAnniWheel.jpg

Because of this dilemma, I needed a little more than a half inch of clearance provided by a spacer, but because I didn't want to stack spacers, I chose to use an H&R 1" (25mm) spacer with integrated lugs. The 1" spacer would then bring my wheel out 1" away from the backspace, thus dropping my backspace from 7.62" to 6.62". Look at the picture below:

Widened10thAnniWheelwithSpacer.jpg

Now I am fine and dandy clearance wise with the IRS bolt, and I am hoping that I can run some BFG drags after these Nittos wear out.

Hope this helps to explain my situation,

THC

I see what you're saying, but you had misunderstood my earlier post. And don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a prick. What I basically said, in a nutshell, is that if you didn't want to widen the wheel to fit a 315 size tire, you could have kept the stock wheels at 17x9 and used the wheel hub spacer with the studs that MM sells. Backspacing wouldn't be an issue and you wouldn't have any issues with the tire rubbing on the IRS bolt.

But regardless, it came out great, and I know you made it clear that you wanted extra rubber for the power you were laying down. But in the event anyone is looking more at asthetics and wants to perfectly fill out the wheel well . . . you can do it with an MM 25mm wheel hub spacer with studs + an 18x9.5 '00 Cobra R wheel with 275/35/18. I'll post pics later after getting a few shots in case anyone wanted to see what it looks like.

On a side note, I wish the 10th anniversary Cobra wheels came in an 18x9.5 because they are bad ass :rockon:

BigBeez03

MASH PAST >
Established Member
Hey THC your car looks great! I'm sure the pics don't do your car justice. Great detailed explanation, I appreciate the lesson :) !
I hear ya on the 'scrapin the bumper on driveway', would love to lower mine as well but driveway is inclined :(

PS - I was surprised to see your car looking stock, is it a sleeper?

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
TheHolyCobra said:
That is what I would like to do, but I think my front splitter and driveway would meet very abruptly every time I come and go from the house. :fm: :cuss:
THC

THC
Don't be a wimp lower that ride. it will look so so much better.
Just cut the stock springs like I did.
Let me grab a pic to show you what 1/2 a coil in front and 3/4 of a coil out back looks like.

running a 18x9.5 in front and 18x11 in the rear.

JP :beer:

4e71a798.jpg

01705e05.jpg

muhtalicbloo

Established Member
read thru the thread....and didn't see it, mind if i ask how much this cost? cuz i got my rear torque thrust II's that i want widened from 8" to 9.5"......looks sweet btw and those welds are killer!!!!

JP

Peoples Choice 1st Place
Established Member
muhtalicbloo said:
read thru the thread....and didn't see it, mind if i ask how much this cost? cuz i got my rear torque thrust II's that i want widened from 8" to 9.5"......looks sweet btw and those welds are killer!!!!

http://www.weldcraftwheels.com.
I think it was about 175 per wheel.

JP

SVT8U

Established Member
wheels look great man. Mean lookin from the back.

i have the same space heater btw. Mine works pretty damn good for a lil electric deal. 2 of those has my garage tosty in an hour or so when its 35-40 degrees outside.

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
JP said:
THC
Don't be a wimp lower that ride. it will look so so much better.
Just cut the stock springs like I did.
Let me grab a pic to show you what 1/2 a coil in front and 3/4 of a coil out back looks like.

running a 18x9.5 in front and 18x11 in the rear.

JP :beer:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/JP2003/4e71a798.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y29/JP2003/01705e05.jpg

Damn that car looks good JP. :bowdown: :rockon:

I want to lower the car, but as stated earlier I don't think my driveway or my car hauler will agree with it any lower then it is already. You saw how much trouble I had putting it on the trailer when I was bringing it back from Brondes...now imagine that same situation with the car an inch or so lower to the ground.

If I ever come back up to Toledo I might take some measurements of your cars height at the wheel wells, front splitter, exhaust, and other low hanging places and see how much of a difference it is compared to my car (I won't bust out the measuring tape without your permission though). Then I will do some testing on my driveway and see if I can reshape or lessen the initial incline a bit. After that I will see how low I can take 'er.

Whatever I do, I need to figure it out fast because I am tired of people asking me if my car has 4 wheel drive. :nonono:

THC

TheHolyCobra

Established Member
BigBeez03 said:
Hey THC your car looks great! I'm sure the pics don't do your car justice. Great detailed explanation, I appreciate the lesson :) !
I hear ya on the 'scrapin the bumper on driveway', would love to lower mine as well but driveway is inclined :(

PS - I was surprised to see your car looking stock, is it a sleeper?

Thanks for the compliments man. :beer:

The pictures don't do it justice, but she is in dire need of a good detail when the weather starts to warm up and stay consistent with normal spring weather.

As for the whole writeup, I am glad that I can help fellow Mustang owners out. If anyone needs to know anything else then just let me know.

As for the car looking stock, it is relatively stock. Basic mods include intake, exhaust, shifter, wheels, and seats. Besides that, I don't want to modify it to the moon and back because I still have a factory warranty on the car. After it runs up though, I don't know what I am going to do. I might throw down some cash on an extended warranty, or I might include some extra cash and get two of those cool lookin' hairdryers under the hood. :coolman:

THC

Users who are viewing this thread