Changed the alternator and now she won’t start

dwest731

Established Member
I changed out my alternator that was on its way out and now my car won’t start. There wasn’t a problem starting the car before and now it seems like the starter isn’t engaging. I changed it last year so it should be good. I’m getting power to the dash and under the hood but nothing when I turn the key. I went with an OEM starter but I don’t think that should matter. I have an SCT X4 programmer on the car too.

Thanks in advance

03' White Snake

Established Member
Dumb question, did you disconnect the battery before undoing the alternator wires? Did you touch the power wire to sway bar or anything and cause a spark? Check your fuses.

Is the starter spinning and not turning over the engine? Could be a bad starter solenoid. They are built into the starters so you will need a replacement.

Wings65288

Established Member
Party Liquor Posse
I changed out my alternator that was on its way out and now my car won’t start. There wasn’t a problem starting the car before and now it seems like the starter isn’t engaging. I changed it last year so it should be good. I’m getting power to the dash and under the hood but nothing when I turn the key. I went with an OEM starter but I don’t think that should matter. I have an SCT X4 programmer on the car too.

Thanks in advance
Something similar happened to me, I bypassed my clutch switch under the dash and problem went away (knock on wood).

dwest731

Established Member
I did disconnect the battery, but did reconnect when I was finished. I don’t recall touching anything and creating a spark while replacing it. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the ignition. One of the times I tried to start I did hear the starter engage, more like click, but not turn over the car. The more I think on it I feel like it’s something with the starter.

dwest731

Established Member
I have heard clicking of the starter 1 of the many times I tried to start it. I’m going to pull it out and hopefully that will fix things. Starter is a pain in the ass to get out though ugh

03' White Snake

Established Member
Check the power wire connection at the alternator. The connection is “keyed” and if you don’t have the ring lug installed in the “key” you won’t have good connection. Also check the battery connection. The wire runs straight from the battery to the alternator and starter.

Check your battery voltage with a multimeter. It might be dead. Hence you installing a new alternator.

But your OG post says you installed a new OEM starter. What did you actually install? Alternator, starter or both? Need to know what you touched to diagnose.

dwest731

Established Member
I’ll try to tap the starter when I get home after work to see if it’s is stuck. I had the shop replace the starter when they did the pulley swap and tune in October of last year.

Last night I only replaced the alternator, I’ll also disconnect the wire and plug from it and reconnect just to make sure I have them solid.

Thanks again for the tips fellas!

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Even the voltage is misleading. What’s the voltage at cranking? If it’s too low it won’t even crank.

Again, do some diag to determine what is wrong…parts cannon is time and money they can be saved through proper diag. No crank/no starts are typically pretty easy. Good luck.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Since car will run without alt,

I'm thinking battery cable loose,
I have after market clamps .

Happens when it gets gritty under clamp holding cable.

Get just a click.

Try another battery. Alt may have been good and battery went bad.

I had charging issues. Replaced alt and still had issues,
Found the main ground at motor mount loose,stud broke ,

Found this by using jumper cables. Ground on battery and ground on motor ,,volts came back .

hotcobra03

Established Member
Looking at wiring diagram.

Battery fuse box has starter relay, 40amp fuse.

Clutch pedal has fuse Inside car fuse box. 20 Amp.

I just did a Clutch switch on a friend's jeep,causing no crank
This had power at switch, used a jumper wire to bypass and it fired right up for testing.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Check for 12v on the small wire when rolling the key to start. You may want to rig up a bulb that draws some current so you can load test that wire. If it lights, you have a bad starter.

This

Just put a test light on the small wire going to the starter and have someone key on/start from inside the car.

If the light lights up, your starter is dead. If the light fails to light up, you are not "telling" the starter to start and the issue is somewhere else -- blown fuse, broken wire to starter, wiring issue within ignition switch, etc etc

Users who are viewing this thread