Changed the alternator and now she won’t start

dwest731

Established Member
Jacked the car back up double checked the install of the alternator and all is good. Tried a different battery and the same thing, nothing happened. Tapped the starter and it turned over, I didnt crank the car bc I had the mid pipe disconnected from the cat back. Reconnected that and went to start the car and the starter didn’t engage yet again. I tapped again and nothing. I’m going to pull the starter off bc everything seems to check out

2003RedfireVert

Male and Female He created them.
Established Member
Jacked the car back up double checked the install of the alternator and all is good. Tried a different battery and the same thing, nothing happened. Tapped the starter and it turned over, I din t crank the car bc I had the mid pipe disconnected from the cat back. Reconnected that and went to start the car and again the starter didn’t engage yet again. I tapped again and nothing. I’m going to pull the starter off bc everything seems to check out
Bad starter it sounds like.

hotcobra03

Established Member
I had gotten the best price years ago at pep boys on starter..

Lifetime warranty.

First one that went bad they bench tested and it had worked ,

I than asked them to do it a second time.
This time it failed.

When getting a replacement they checked it before leaving,

1st one failed just like mine did .
2nd one has been fine for many years

Bullitt1448

Established Member
I would try to get one from Ford if possible, might even go with one out of a junkyard if it’s an Oem one and couldn’t get one from Ford. Rebuilders often don’t put the best pieces in the parts they rebuild

Last edited:

dwest731

Established Member
As fun as it is to get out longevity is important. On taking this one out I learned the top bolt was left out, kinda glad about that given where it’s at on the starter

LS WUT

Established Member
Sheesh man. When I was changing the alternator on my black coupe some asshat out the alternator bolts in the opposite way. So it was that much more annoying to get them out lol. Glad you figured it out and it was simple. Cheers man.

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
As fun as it is to get out longevity is important. On taking this one out I learned the top bolt was left out, kinda glad about that given where it’s at on the starter
Someone did you a huge favor. No need to put that top bolt back in. The other 2 is all it needs.

96dreamer

Established Member
If you haven't bought the starter yet I was pretty happy with the Motorcraft SA1067 starter I put on mine. I think it is the factory piece on the 17+ coyote cars but bolts up, is a little lighter, quieter than my stock one was and starts faster. This is the thread where I went through the fitup, Starter options

JaCobro

Luke 10:19
Established Member
Premium Member
Well dang. I'd start with checking all related parts wires are good and tight. Hook up good jump box if you have one. Then try to start again. Battery could be weak or on its way out?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Dumb questions....

What lead you to replacing the alternator? How long was the car driven with the bad alternator? Have you recharged the battery at all since discovering the alternator was bad?

Users who are viewing this thread