CG Fabrication turbo build

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Wow it's been awhile since I could update this thread.

I ran into a few problems this weekend:

• ABS Pump - My PT7675 turbine (cold side) is hitting the top of the abs pump. This is no fault of CG, the turbo itself is massive. I plan to delete the ABS pump now with a delete kit from PRB machining. Pics to follow after the install this weekend.
  • I reluctantly opted to delete my crossover, and had to pick between Modularspeed's kit and MMR. Given my last transaction with MMR, I went with Modularspeed. Modularspeed has his components made by On3, unknown to me, and I had fitment issues (go figure)! Also, I somehow broke off their grade 10.9 bolt in my passenger head while tightening down the tab that holds in the fitting to the water jacket. To me, 10.9 steel should be harder than aluminum, but apparently I'm wrong. I have since extracted the bolt and replaced all hardware with 8.8 items from TSC.
  • Radiator Fan - Again, due to the 7675's size, my factory fan is in the way. I have removed it for now, and once everything is positioned on the hotside, I will worry about it then. My plan of attack is to either tilt the radiator forward, and if that does not work, replace with a slim pull fan.

I'll snap some pictures of the progress this weekend and upload.

Last edited:

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Wow it's been awhile since I could update this thread.

I ran into a few problems this weekend:

• ABS Pump - My PT7675 turbine (cold side) is hitting the top of the abs pump. This is no fault of CG, the turbo itself is massive. I plan to delete the ABS pump now with a delete kit from PRB machining. Pics to follow after the install this weekend.
  • I reluctantly opted to delete my crossover, and had to pick between Modularspeed's kit and MMR. Given my last transaction with MMR, I went with Modularspeed. Modularspeed has his components made by On3, unknown to me, and I had fitment issues (go figure)! Also, I somehow broke off their grade 10.9 bolt in my passenger head while tightening down the tab that holds in the fitting to the water jacket. To me, 10.9 steel should be harder than aluminum, but apparently I'm wrong. I have since extracted the bolt and replaced all hardware with 8.8 items from TSC.
  • Radiator Fan - Again, due to the 7675's size, my factory fan is in the way. I have removed it for now, and once everything is positioned on the hotside, I will worry about it then. My plan of attack is to either tilt the radiator forward, and if that does not work, replace with a slim pull fan.

I'll snap some pictures of the progress this weekend and upload.

I ran into all of the same problems as you and i have a 72mm... I did a line lock to delete the ABS. I was able to trim some of the plastic of the housing of the fan to clear the cold side. I was told that the kit was designed to clear the 03 cobra cross over which it DOESNT. Also had to redo my power steering lines so i did a AN line setup. Only thing i have left is coolant cross over and lines up top and to mount my oil filter adapator.

Lstruck03

Man Pedal User
Established Member
I had similar issues as you guys. No issues with the abs pump or fan, but I have a turbonetics tc78.

I cut up a 03 and a 01 crossover and made them work with some hose and a coolant fill cap for a Dakota truck. It is built onto a hose. That way I could remove the factory tank for clearance, and run an inline tstat in the lower hose. I did not have to make new PS lines, I twisted the reservoir, tossed the bracket, and made a mount on the battery hold down. Everything clears well.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I had similar issues as you guys. No issues with the abs pump or fan, but I have a turbonetics tc78.

I cut up a 03 and a 01 crossover and made them work with some hose and a coolant fill cap for a Dakota truck. It is built onto a hose. That way I could remove the factory tank for clearance, and run an inline tstat in the lower hose. I did not have to make new PS lines, I twisted the reservoir, tossed the bracket, and made a mount on the battery hold down. Everything clears well.

care to take a couple of pictures?

thanks for the info guys

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Made some progress today.

First thing I needed to is to get rid of the old abs pump, the cold side of the turbo hit the top.

Before:

9a5y2ygy.jpg

The block came from Phil at PRB Machining. It was a nice piece, I did have an issue with the threads for the "LR" port and I had to re tap them. With a little work, the lines were in and pushed out of the way.

View attachment 9155

Next, I got the turbo cleaned up and installed. The previous owner was kind of a goober I believe, he used what appears to be gorilla glue to seal the oil feed and drain fittings on the turbo. Got that all fixed up and turbo mounted. Looks sexy!

View attachment 9156

Next up I'll post my stock radiator fan mod to fit my monster downpipe. The radiator will be tilted forward a bit.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
I find it ironic that you post in On3Performance threads about how much you hated your kit because you had to modify your ABS bracket, it interfered with the stock radiator/fans and you had an alignment issue.

Then you buy a kit that forces you to delete your AC, replace the oil cooler with a different unit, would have interfered with stock radiator fans and also delete the ABS pump. Not knocking the CG kit, I just think it's funny you ditched one kit for another that has most of the same issues.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I find it ironic that you post in On3Performance threads about how much you hated your kit because you had to modify your ABS bracket, it interfered with the stock radiator/fans and you had an alignment issue.

Then you buy a kit that forces you to delete your AC, replace the oil cooler with a different unit, would have interfered with stock radiator fans and also delete the ABS pump. Not knocking the CG kit, I just think it's funny you ditched one kit for another that has most of the same issues.

I ditched the on3 kit because it wouldn't seal, I had nothing but exhaust leaks left and right. On3 also advertises(advertised) that all factory equipment fits. Yes I bitched about the ABS bracket, but that wasn't my big complaint. What good is a turbo kit that leaks?

I purchased a "race" kit from CG, with the preface that not all factory equipment fits.

Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member

CG Fab makes a kit to KEEP A/C which i have. Just a heads up.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
CG Fab makes a kit to KEEP A/C which i have. Just a heads up.

Don't you also have to notch the subframe to do so? I thought about getting their kit but being in Texas, A/C is a must and I wasn't too thrilled at the thought of having to cut on my car to do so.

ruthless

Turbo Terminator and TVS Terminator Vert
Established Member
Holy cow. I am not knocking the turbo kit but why do these shops need so many mods done to the car to get their kits to fit. Is it to work with all the kmember options out there? My car was built by a local shop and none of the car was hacked up to get anything to fit. Everything but the swaybar is on the car and honestly I would have pulled that thing out to get the car to hook up anyhow.

I know we all have diffrent goals and options to give up but to notch the frame for anything but an all out race car seems a bit much to me.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
Don't you also have to notch the subframe to do so? I thought about getting their kit but being in Texas, A/C is a must and I wasn't too thrilled at the thought of having to cut on my car to do so.

I used a 1/2 k member drop. The header was close to the frame/fender well whatever you call it. Not really a frame. I was told there was 1/2 inch of room to clear the header but i had about 1/4. Im also using a stock k member. Could be the problem but idk.

If a kit is built custom then they can build it to fit the car. With different oil cooler setups, Coolant cross over, Non ABS and ABS cars its hard to make one kit fit every car. If the Turbo on my car would have been moved about 3'' to the drivers side it would have cleared ABS and coolant cross over. I also have a big frame BABY Turbo lol.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
Holy cow. I am not knocking the turbo kit but why do these shops need so many mods done to the car to get their kits to fit. Is it to work with all the kmember options out there? My car was built by a local shop and none of the car was hacked up to get anything to fit. Everything but the swaybar is on the car and honestly I would have pulled that thing out to get the car to hook up anyhow.

I know we all have diffrent goals and options to give up but to notch the frame for anything but an all out race car seems a bit much to me.

I totally agree. My builder built everything around my front suspension. But it was pricey to get that done. But at the end I am happy with the outcome. It should be complete by the end of this month.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I'll snap some pictures of clearance today when I get to the shop. I used a UPR kmember and I have plenty of room - no frame clearance issues.

I actually got the car started up yesterday and ran it for a few seconds. Pretty exciting.

I need to start fabbing up my downpipe, its going to be 4" round transitioning to 4" oval under the kmember, electronic dump, then Y into my cat-back.

I feel at this point I can give an honest opinion of the hotside and it seems like people are looking for an apples to apples comparison to on3.

The thing of it is that on3 provides an out of the box, zip tie/glue/tape/cut/and hack it on kit that will get you going down the road for the most part. I think its OK for beginners, but the quality just wasn't there, and I get it - it was a $3000 setup.

CG Fab is purely the pipes and the pipes only. It is up to you to know what your doing with the oil, coolant, suspension, and electrical systems. On3 claims that their kit "fits" with all factory equipment, and results have obviously varied from person to person, where as CG's RACE kit (the only I have had experience with) disclaims that AC and ABS may not work. According to other users, CG's street kit will work with AC but you will sacrifice your sway bar, which I am not cool with myself.

I will say this though, CG's kit FITS, and it fits well. I had 0 alignment issues with the hotside, everything fell into place as expected, and the craftsmanship was much better than on3's.

The bottom line is that if you are looking to roll your bone stock, fresh off the used car lot Mustang onto jackstands and slap a turbo kit on, on3 may be ok for you, but there are better fitting options that obviously cost more, such as Hellion. If you are a bit more experienced, or have decent help, CG can offer a bare bones build your own turbo kit that would fit applications from mild to track only setups, but require the know how as far as making other systems work/fit.

Last edited:

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
how did you make out with attempting to keep your sway bar?

I'm waiting to see how the downpipe comes out. Trying to run a 4" dp is no joke. This is the final product test fitted.

kP2khApl.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread