CG Fabrication turbo build

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
CG Fabrication turbo build (round 2 in progress)

Part 2 here!

I sold the on3 bullshit and starting over. I will try to remember to take pictures as I go.

Built motor, stock displacement.
9.5:1 Cr
E85
Return style setup
CG fab hotside
Custom downpipe and exhaust
Precision 7675 billet wheel
Built 4r70w with fb manual valve body

First step was ceramic coating. I used cerakote ceramic coating. Was about $50 for pint, which was more than enough. I used your standard air paint gun. After baking, this was the result.

hu5y9une.jpg

Calab from CG forgot to mention that I needed to delete the stock oil cooler and run an aftermarket. I ran into an issue of the driver header hitting the water return.

7usa7ene.jpg

Removed that, and went with the FRPP oil cooler relocation kit. Here it is installed. The kit uses a 2" water return, so I'll need a reducer for the 1.5" 2v gt lower radiator hose I'm going to use.

ebuhu8yp.jpg

Headers mocked up -

qedava4u.jpg

e3eze5ev.jpg

Using stock header bolts with red loc-tite. Ford Racing gaskets.

The top bolts are a mf'r to get to on the passenger side, didn't get to the driver side tonight. A gear wrench and a screwdriver made it a bit easier.

5edu4uda.jpg

More to come as I get time

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BBAMOTORS

Established Member
Re

The 5/8 Rubber power steering hose that comes off the reservoir is going to need to be swapped out to a braided line since it basically will rest on the hot side.Stock fan wont work,I put the oil filter in the driver fender wheel well.I tapped the pan on the front passanger side of pan as it was most straight/shortest run.My lower radiator hose consisted of:99 Gt 2''-1.5 adapter,Coolant head mod 1.5-1.5-1/2 T(Used to fill system)-Remote T stat and a 98 Camaro LS1 upper rad hose.I also notched rad support and slid rad few more inches foward so i could fit 2 fans and wouldnt need to do a pusher style.I Included some pictures that I feel may help you along your build,good luck..

radhose_zps4be395c1.jpg

hotsidehitfans_zps97036fb0.jpg

notchphoo_zpsf0e9de6f.jpg

turbomachfull_zpsf8322885.jpg

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I was just going to wrap the header and line where it was close.

I couldnt really tell, what was giving you issues as far as radiator fans?

BBAMOTORS

Established Member
re

I was just going to wrap the header and line where it was close.

I couldnt really tell, what was giving you issues as far as radiator fans?

The Stock fan hits the hot side.When I mounted the (2)slim fan,One fan wouldn't fit due to hitting waste gate so That was my reasoning for moving rad.My wastegate was mounted right off the center of the merge,your's is mounted different so you shouldn't have that issue.

Last edited:

ctdkid

Established Member
I am probably going this route with my turbo system considering I have a MM k-member and nothing else works with it... assuming there is only one wastegate? Was the bung welded on with purchase or was that done yourself? and what size wastegates are you guys running?

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Came with the flange for the wastegate welded on. I'm using a precision 46mm wastegate.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
The Stock fan hits the hot side.When I mounted the (2)slim fan,One fan wouldn't fit due to hitting waste gate so That was my reasoning for moving rad.My wastegate was mounted right off the center of the merge,your's is mounted different so you shouldn't have that issue.

Thanks man I'll keep this in mind. Could you link me to the fans you went with?

coposrv

Established Member
The coating looks great. The lower coolant / oil filter housing is always in the way. Looks like you made a great call by going to Caleb instead of dealing with all the on3 BS. Good luck finishing the build.

xXAzureMach1Xx

Established Member
I also notched the top bolt holes so i could get the studs in and the nut half way on before i installed the header. I wrapped mine so i had even less room to work.

z28misfit

Established Member
Gotta keep my eye on this build thread. Im planning on going turbo with my car and I want to use the CG fabrication headers as well. Thinking of making everything else though. I want to retain A/C and the front sway bar.

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
I also notched the top bolt holes so i could get the studs in and the nut half way on before i installed the header. I wrapped mine so i had even less room to work.

I'm having trouble with the top bolt, very front cylinder on the driver's side. I got all the others in. Did you trim the bolt at all? The bolt is too long to get it lined up with the hole and the head of the bolt contacts the header pipe.

I tried to make that sound as least dirty as possible.:smmon:

03bluemach

Established Member
I used a shorter bolt and a gear wrench,And from under the car i sat up with my head in between the rad and engine and went from the front lol..

It was a pain !! but the only one i really had trouble with

BBAMOTORS

Established Member
turbo

I used a stud and didn't have to notch anything,I put the stud in and nut from the top,lined up turbo and tightened up bottom nut,worked perfect

Gotta keep my eye on this build thread. Im planning on going turbo with my car and I want to use the CG fabrication headers as well. Thinking of making everything else though. I want to retain A/C and the front sway bar.

I used the cg hotside that keeps a/c(I see it challanging to keep a/c even with there kit) and it requires you delete sway bar since you need to notch frame where sway bar mount is

static74

in the 9's
Established Member
Made a little progress tonight. The stubborn bolt I had got the best of me, it has met its match with a hacksaw and a file. Fits now lol.

Every fluid line and wire imaginable is in the way. I need to figure out how to run a line from the power steering reservoir to the pump away from the header, and the brake lines on the passenger frame rail is a little close to the passenger header for my liking.

I moved the battery to the back, and moved the fuse box behind the headlight where the battery was, I'll get more pictures Wednesday.

Here are a couple I snapped before I closed up for the night with the hotside fully fitted on the car. I have to say it fits beautifuly compared to the on3 kit. No fuss and half the parts.

agasy2eg.jpg

ma5amyby.jpg

su7uny3e.jpg

xYKQNwgl.jpg

Last edited:

BBAMOTORS

Established Member
re

Made a little progress tonight. The stubborn bolt I had got the best of me, it has met its match with a hacksaw and a file. Fits now lol.

Every fluid line and wire imaginable is in the way. I need to figure out how to run a line from the power steering reservoir to the pump away from the header, and the brake lines on the passenger frame rail is a little close to the passenger header for my liking.

I moved the battery to the back, and moved the fuse box behind the headlight where the battery was, I'll get more pictures Wednesday.

Here are a couple I snapped before I closed up with the hotside fully fitted up. I have to say it fits beautifuly compared to the on3 kit. No fuss and half the parts.

agasy2eg.jpg

ma5amyby.jpg

ugapynu4.jpg

Looks good,I''ll snap of picture of how I routed power steering 5/8 hose.I used a 10an stainless steel line and spun fitting on PS pump

Users who are viewing this thread