Cause of the #8:

#8 Cylinder:

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
nope. just word of mouth from someone I trust.

Hearsay isn't admissible in a court of law. You expect us to accept it here?

The #8 issue is an issue related to poor and over-zealous tuning. Most tuning houses have likely gone away from the practice of altering knock sensor sensitivity.

In fact if you go through this entire thread, I've speculated that the tuning was being handled much like it is for 99/01 Cobras where the common practice is to disable the things all together. On that car, wheel hop and other variables can trigger non-event timing retards. So it's dropped. But they don't run the ragged edge from the factory either.

Now that it appears the tuners aren't messing with them, it also appears that the number of events is declining.

However you'll still likely see a few here and there as people with out of date tunes get unlucky, or the random guy that runs some crap tune from an unknown shop operating out of Timbuktu.

jiminsequim

Wow, I'm getting freaked out. I only have 6600 miles on my new 5.0. I have a tune from Bama via American Muscle using SCT. We only have 91 in my area. I usually use the Performance tune.
Please advise, am I going to blow up my car?

Magic8ball.jpg

Performance tune??!! You are screwed.:sleeping:

Can I get some help here? What should I do with my tune?
:dw::??::burn:

Quickstang5o

Established Member
Your fine bama has corrected their knock sensors. I think every tuner has. As long as you have a somewhat new tune you have nothing to worry about.

Mycobrahatesyou

Established Member
Nope, if it's bone stock, never been tuned... you can always warranty it if there are ANY problems

I am just wondering if there are any documented cases if this happening to any stock vehicle.

The tunes may raises the odds of developing the problem but I would be worried if any stock vehicles are having the same issue which means that the issue might start popping up in stock vehicles as the miles get higher and the abuse adds up.

If it happens out of the warranty period, stock or not, it will come out of my pocket... and If the problem happens within the warranty period then of course Ford should fix it, but that's definitely not a hassle that I want to deal with. Perhaps it is being blown out of proportion but I don't purchase new vehicles to worry about engine failing defects.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I am just wondering if there are any documented cases if this happening to any stock vehicle.

The tunes may raises the odds of developing the problem but I would be worried if any stock vehicles are having the same issue which means that the issue might start popping up in stock vehicles as the miles get higher and the abuse adds up.

If it happens out of the warranty period, stock or not, it will come out of my pocket... and If the problem happens within the warranty period then of course Ford should fix it, but that's definitely not a hassle that I want to deal with. Perhaps it is being blown out of proportion but I don't purchase new vehicles to worry about engine failing defects.

There have been a scant few reports of this happening to stock cars. However, when probed for details, those saying stock either fall of the face of the earth, or come clean that they had a tune previously on the car.

Like this thread for instance where the poster originally states his car only has springs and axlebacks, but then later confirms his warranty was denied due to a tune.

2012 5.0 Catastrophic Engine Failure - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

I don't read all the mustang forums, but of the ones I do, I have not seen a single instance of a #8 failure on a stock tuned vehicle.

Mycobrahatesyou

Established Member
There have been a scant few reports of this happening to stock cars. However, when probed for details, those saying stock either fall of the face of the earth, or come clean that they had a tune previously on the car.

Like this thread for instance where the poster originally states his car only has springs and axlebacks, but then later confirms his warranty was denied due to a tune.

2012 5.0 Catastrophic Engine Failure - The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

I don't read all the mustang forums, but of the ones I do, I have not seen a single instance of a #8 failure on a stock tuned vehicle.

Thanks for the info

Users who are viewing this thread