Carbinite pulley on a DD

lshin037

Established Member
Does anyone here use carbinite coated pulleys on their DD? If so, how long does your belt last? I've been fighting belt slip issues ever since I installed a 3.33 pulley on my vortech. Boost won't go past 9.5psi. I've read some members using it on their track-only cars. I think beefcake said he uses (or used) it and changes his belt out every 3 runs. But I rarely hit redline on my car. Living in a traffic congested area, I may take it above 6000 rpm maybe twice a month. I've read an article on dragzine where the owner said he thoroughly tested it and the belt lasted for years. Article is below

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...sing-serpentine-blower-pulley-grip-carbinite/

Last edited:

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
A carbinited pully will definitely eat the belt up alot faster then what your currently used to.

I'd recommend looking into an overdrive lower pulley and a larger upper pulley if that's the case.

lshin037

Established Member
A carbinited pully will definitely eat the belt up alot faster then what your currently used to.

I'd recommend looking into an overdrive lower pulley and a larger upper pulley if that's the case.

I have yet to replace a belt because it needed to be replaced so I have no idea what a normal belt replacement schedule is. Lol. I've been through 3 belts in 7 months to try and see if it'd eliminate slip. I wouldn't mind changing the belt once or twice a year.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
On a DD you're probably talking about a belt a month honestly. Carbintied pulleys are like sand paper and can burn up belts in 8-12 passes. Street miles will burn them up pretty quickly too.

Going with something larger like a 3.6 pulley and a OD lower will mean you may not have to swap belts for a year or two.

lshin037

Established Member
On a DD you're probably talking about a belt a month honestly. Carbintied pulleys are like sand paper and can burn up belts in 8-12 passes. Street miles will burn them up pretty quickly too.

Going with something larger like a 3.6 pulley and a OD lower will mean you may not have to swap belts for a year or two.

I had a 3.6 (stock) on and it didn't slip. I bought the tq booster kit from tbr to take advantage of sooner boost. I got the sooner boost and hit 9.5 psi....without the wg. I'd like keep the 3.33 on.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Bad idea. Carbonite pulleys are for track cars and will mangle a belt in short order.

You swap your gears yet?

lshin037

Established Member
Bad idea. Carbonite pulleys are for track cars and will mangle a belt in short order.

You swap your gears yet?

Nah. I don't think I'll be doing that anytime soon. Trying some easier methods before going to a big project like that

lshin037

Established Member
To be completely honest, I'm not sure 100% sure it's belt slip but its the only explanation that makes sense. I started a thread on this a few months back. The symptoms are very weird. Here's the list of symptoms:

- WG with 9.7 spring = 8 PSI
- WG with 11.6 spring = 8.5 PSI
- No WG = 9.5
- Very minimal dust

All these symptoms are consistent. I swapped out the WG springs twice and also switched out the whole WG assembly with the stock pipe 3 times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Shouldn't peak boost pressure be inconsistent when the belt slips? I initially thought it was due to removing the cats but was told that you don't lose that much with removal of cats.

So Im trying to solve this with easier methods before resorting to big projects like changing gears or going 8-rib.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
To be completely honest, I'm not sure 100% sure it's belt slip but its the only explanation that makes sense. I started a thread on this a few months back. The symptoms are very weird. Here's the list of symptoms:

- WG with 9.7 spring = 8 PSI
- WG with 11.6 spring = 8.5 PSI
- No WG = 9.5
- Very minimal dust

All these symptoms are consistent. I swapped out the WG springs twice and also switched out the whole WG assembly with the stock pipe 3 times just to make sure I wasn't seeing things. Shouldn't peak boost pressure be inconsistent when the belt slips? I initially thought it was due to removing the cats but was told that you don't lose that much with removal of cats.

So Im trying to solve this with easier methods before resorting to big projects like changing gears or going 8-rib.

How do you know the dust is minimal? Most V3s sold are black which makes it difficult to see. You will have to pull the blower and run your finder accross the back of it versus a simple visual inspection.

If you dont have dust, youre not slipping.

What boost gauge are you running?

lshin037

Established Member
How do you know the dust is minimal? Most V3s sold are black which makes it difficult to see. You will have to pull the blower and run your finder accross the back of it versus a simple visual inspection.

If you dont have dust, youre not slipping.

What boost gauge are you running?

The backside, by the pulley, is not painted. I'm running an aeroforce gauge with a 2.5Bar MAP sensor. I tested the gauge with a calibrated manometer.

2012csgt

Established Member
The backside, by the pulley, is not painted. I'm running an aeroforce gauge with a 2.5Bar MAP sensor. I tested the gauge with a calibrated manometer.

Gotta put it on a dyno that also can measure boost. I made 10.1 psi on a 3.40 pulley, also V3, but that was at like 7600- 7700. I will try and find the dyno sheet. That was a while ago. I assume your stock intake not Boss?What rpm are you seeing 9.5?

lshin037

Established Member
Gotta put it on a dyno that also can measure boost. I made 10.1 psi on a 3.40 pulley, also V3, but that was at like 7600- 7700. I will try and find the dyno sheet. That was a while ago. I assume your stock intake not Boss?What rpm are you seeing 9.5?

Stock intake. At 7000-7500

Tx5.0

Established Member
Swap the gears like gimmie11s said or do the 8 rib swap like I did and eliminate the slip.

Tx5.0

Established Member
The install its is pretty easy as long as you have the right tools. For reinstalling the crank I recommend you go to your local Ford dealer and ask to borrow their crank installing tool. Thats what I did and they were cool to letting me use it for a day. That will be your biggest issue, but if you have that tool its all good. You will need an impact gun to get the pulley off the alternator though. I just went to Sears and got one for $70 on sale.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
He climbs out of the wood works!

Awesome... Glad you got her going.

8 rib for the win!

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Y
Does anyone here use carbinite coated pulleys on their DD? If so, how long does your belt last? I've been fighting belt slip issues ever since I installed a 3.33 pulley on my vortech. Boost won't go past 9.5psi. I've read some members using it on their track-only cars. I think beefcake said he uses (or used) it and changes his belt out every 3 runs. But I rarely hit redline on my car. Living in a traffic congested area, I may take it above 6000 rpm maybe twice a month. I've read an article on dragzine where the owner said he thoroughly tested it and the belt lasted for years. Article is below

http://www.dragzine.com/tech-storie...sing-serpentine-blower-pulley-grip-carbinite/

You should know better then to believe Magazine articles! Lol!

Users who are viewing this thread