Car to car trans swap

acrbill

Established Member
I have seen threads where people have done a trans swap but I don't recall one where the trans was swapped from car to car.

I am looking to swap my auto for a manual and am looking for some tips on how to best accomplish this. I think I have a grasp on the big parts but am hung up on the wiring ecu side.

To my understanding the ecus are different so they would need to swapped. Is there anything prohibiting swapping ecus vs. Having to buy new ones? It also seems that people have friends that are techs that are able to figure out what and how to flash stuff.

My dealer is not the type that does any out of the norm work. I asked them to do a gear swap and they almost lost their minds. I have a feeling if two cars showed up and I attempted to explain what we did they would tell me they cant help. Does anyone know the ins and outs of what needs to be flashed? I have othet questions that I will post later and would appreciate any input.

Inb4 tl;dr
#walloftext

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4

Last edited:

Deespeed99

Established Member
Ecu does have to be swapped. Pats also has to be reprogrammed.

No they dont. I was going to do the swap and revolution auto has done 2-3 over the last 3 months. All you have to do is flash the PCM to an auto strategy. The harness is all that has to be swapped.

mantis118

Established Member
News to me. I'm about to swap mine and all the info I have found said ecu had to be swapped. Guess I'll find d out. Bad ass if I Dont have to buy an ecu.

stang910

Established Member
No they dont. I was going to do the swap and revolution auto has done 2-3 over the last 3 months. All you have to do is flash the PCM to an auto strategy. The harness is all that has to be swapped.

If this is true it would of been nice to know 6 months ago. Would of saved me $500.

acrbill

Established Member
That is fantastic news about the ECUs not needing to be swapped. Am I correct in assuming that flashing over to a new strategy is something a tuner can do via email?

I still have a bunch of tunes from my old 2011 manual too.

bob450

Established Member
Last edited:

Deespeed99

Established Member
Honestly that part i dont know (email), i dont know if it requires a IDS or just SCT software. I just know that shaun & adam can do a full flash to a M6 or A6 strategy, it does need to be year specific. Also for those interested I have a spare auto harness i can sell.

Last edited:

bob450

Established Member
maybe you can flash an auto ecu to a manual but do the opposite is technily impossible if chip is missing:shrug:
and no you can not flash ecu with sct you need ids

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Your gonna have fun with this swap, but think about what you will learn about your cars when you do it...if you could, share it with us in a build thread, many will benefit from what you will do!

Last edited:

acrbill

Established Member
O well. Certainly not the end of the world but it would have made things easier. The other thing I was thinking was how ridiculous the gears would be if we didn't also switch rear ends. 3.15s in a manual car. I had 3.55s in my manual and even when I upgraded to 4.10s I wasn't totally happy.

Deespeed99

Established Member
Again wrong information. You CAN flash a manual to an auto. Didnyou get a trans strategy for a 5.0? You used a V6 trans so the trans strategy is different.

And if it didnt work why didnt it work?

Last edited:

Deespeed99

Established Member
And 3 oh 2 has already proved that his information is not accurate. He swore that the V6 6R80 was the same as the GT trans but it wasn't.

3 oh 2

Established Member
I did my swap back in April I tried to use the manual ecm doesn't work. Ive done 3 swaps already and all 3 times I bought the auto ecm. Had 3 guys from this forum visit me at my shop and showed them the difference from a v6 6r80 the f-150 6r80 and the gt 6r80 .

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
You HAVE to get an auto PCM. You can't just flash that programming over lol

acrbill

Established Member
OK so what are my options to get things flashed. The current scenario would be two cars at my house that cannot start and would need to be towed to the dealer for flashing. What exactly do I need to discuss with them in regards to what needs to be flashed because if I walk in and say I have two cars that swapped transmissions their heads are going to explode.

Deespeed99

Established Member
Ok i just checked because other people outside of 3 oh 2 had me doubting myself. I was wrong sorry! You can flash a A6 to a M6 but not vice versa like a few people said sorry. Upu will have to get an auto PCM.

Users who are viewing this thread