Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Caprice Classic & Family

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
The Marauders absolutely reek of soft suspension and failed expectations. They could have been totally badass with an SVT Cobra engine, heavy duty suspension and brakes, and even a manual trans, as proven out by Roush when they built the Crown Vics for Bondurant instructors. The Impala SS was basically a cop car with nicer appointments. Much more grunt, stiffer suspension. Still shitty brakes, but a better package all around.
And how much more would you be willing to pay $40- 45,000 after all they couldn't even sell these things at the $33-35,000 asking price and so had to heavily discount them. Also they had to modify the Panther to the extreme for those manuals as they had no hook up or attachment for the clutch pedal and it is not simply just make one as the Marauder had adjustable pedals.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
The Marauders absolutely reek of soft suspension and failed expectations. They could have been totally badass with an SVT Cobra engine, heavy duty suspension and brakes, and even a manual trans, as proven out by Roush when they built the Crown Vics for Bondurant instructors. The Impala SS was basically a cop car with nicer appointments. Much more grunt, stiffer suspension. Still shitty brakes, but a better package all around.

This is kind of a comical take considering the Marauder ran circles around the SS in the handling dept and I remember some people back when the cars were new complained the suspension rode too stiff.

Yes things could have obviously been better, in fact the Marauder team had a whole roadmap of improvements that were supposed to debut for 2005 but never saw the light of day because Elena Ford basically shut the whole thing down.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
Another rained out weekend here so I'm bored and when you're this bored, you find old threads that you missed a year ago when you weren't this bored.

So yes, according to a Marti report, there were 1,806 (this is from memory from 30 years ago) 'R' codes built in '72. My particular combo yielded 398 builds. Detuned Boss 351 as you said. Rated at 285 HP vs 330 in '71 for the Boss. Smog boxes killed everything starting in '72. Attaching some pics of pics from 2001 when I sold it. I bought it in '93. I have an article from Mustang Times that I can't find which was a response to my question as to whether or not Ford offered the '72 R-code in BOSS 351 trim because my car was decked out that way. Looked like a '71 BOSS. Turned out a previous owner did that. I just googled the VIN because previously it would link to the Mustang Times article, but it's gone now. The VIN is (hopefully the car is still alive) 2F05R190222. Car had medium bright yellow paint, ginger interior, 4-speed top loader with drag-pack, 3:73 gears. It obviously wasn't stock (lumpy cam) and I put a 750 double pumper on it. Running low 13s through the gears on Eagle STs....lotsa fun. I have a really good launch pic from E-town that Dave Milcarek took one night when I was there but I don't know where it is.

Would sex.

Edit: Also, a Marauder is still on my list of “random ass cars” Inwamt to buy just to piss off my wife.

OX1

Established Member
The panther platform, for sure. Everything from "grandpa's" Grand Marquis, to taxi's, limos, and police cars. Such a quiet, maybe not glorious, significant platform. Only thing the Caprice had over panther, was the wagon.

The last run CV/GM had a full front alum subframe with rack and pinion and they had that Watts Link in the back for many years too. My moms 09 handles really flat, for what it is.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
The MARAUDER was exactly what it was...a GREAT platform to be able to customize however you wanted. AND it was FAR superior to the Impala from 7-9 years earlier. Just like a mustang GT, the MARAUDER garnered specific enthuisiast...of an older age and wider beltlines...but with some work (and I was at the front of this) there were EXCELLENT modifications from big brake kits, to superchargers, to custom sway bars, coil overs, watts link and control arms, etc which took your stock MARAUDER to a time after time low 12-second 1/4 mile @ 120+MPH at 4,600lbs (mine with me in it)...

But unlike the last 25 years of Mustang GTs...the MARAUDER is UNIQUE on the road...and brings a "smile EVERY mile"...

mercury-marauder-is-a-used-v8-worth-it.jpg

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Ford even sent out that dvd about the Marauder with the two guys driving both the old and new models. It is a nice piece of memorabilia.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I think both are sexy, caprice gets the nod over the vic for the motor.. and if we are talking marauder vs impala SS… I’d still take Lord Vaders SS.. Though good luck finding one some hoodrat hasn’t thugged out. You can still find good clean examples of the marauder.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
That hood though. It's the worst part of the CV. It's Jamie Farr in a car.

The Impala SS was a nice car but the mystique surrounding it was somewhat unfounded and that was because of the "corvette" engine. The way some people talked, if you went the wrong way down the highway at too fast of a speed you'd reverse time. The interior was so so and the leather reminded me of the 70's through 80's roll of 4ft wide interior plastic your Pollack grandmother would put on the floor so you could walk on it rather than the carpet.

Even the early 00's CV seemed to have aged very well (looks wise).

Last edited:

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
i daily drive a 2003 crown vic LX sport. This is a difficult question to answer. The panther is built like a tank but the 4.6 doesnt have enough grunt for something this heavy.

96 impala SS has way more of a following then any ford sedan. Marauder never quite stuck, its a crime they didnt come supercharged.

Users who are viewing this thread