• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Id go with a crown vic. Always liked the look of this one on shelby wheels
2196fe1700116d7ba0142c57d391fafa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Any idea what's hiding under that discreet cowl hood?

bosscj

Established Member
Premium Member
No sir. Could never find any info on it. Just loved the look of it. A turbo coyote swap with a t56 magnum is a pleasant fantasy for it though

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
I had read that the Caprice police car was better, but the Crown Vic had a lower operating cost.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member

No sir. Could never find any info on it. Just loved the look of it. A turbo coyote swap with a t56 magnum is a pleasant fantasy for it though

Well I'll help you out since that's a friend of mine who lives out in CA. It's an ex FBI car, 2004 P71. It has a 4v 4.6 swap with a eaton M122 on the cobra engineering adapter that lets you fit the GT500 blower to the terminator lower intake.

Here is a old thread with some info May 2019 POTM - Drac! | CVN Panther of the Month | Crownvic.net

I know the car has been sitting a long long while, it almost got lost in the Paradise fire back in 2018 but thankfully that did not happen. He'd had some engine trouble a while back and some blower trouble as well (Steig gear reduction mod = no no). Not sure what his plans are for the future but I'm sure he'll get back to it one day.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
Say what?

they came factory with some shit on the floor

the CV sport (and MGM LSE) came into existence because dealers were asking for a more "youthful" trim on the panthers to try and entice people under the age of 75. At the time, work on the Marauder was already well under way and the center console + floor shifter was one of the earliest parts of the Marauder that was completed. When the 2001 "sport appearance package" crown vic came out (later renamed CVLX Sport for MY 02), it got the Marauder center console and floor shifter before the Marauder simply because the part was already developed.

I'm full of useless panther facts

20190210_142226-X3.jpg

jessie_sanders

Established Member
Pics of R coded Mach 1. Im pretty sure they were kind of rare.

Weren’t they detuned Boss 351 carry-overs?

Also funny you mention just running the Impala for the hell of it. One of my first trips to the drag strip someone that was in “our group” got bored and ran his roadmaster wagon 100% full of shit to a 14.7/14.8 at ~95
Love roadmaster wagons. Will have one someday.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
they came factory with some shit on the floor

the CV sport (and MGM LSE) came into existence because dealers were asking for a more "youthful" trim on the panthers to try and entice people under the age of 75. At the time, work on the Marauder was already well under way and the center console + floor shifter was one of the earliest parts of the Marauder that was completed. When the 2001 "sport appearance package" crown vic came out (later renamed CVLX Sport for MY 02), it got the Marauder center console and floor shifter before the Marauder simply because the part was already developed.

I'm full of useless panther facts

20190210_142226-X3.jpg
And I know of one Marauder owner that got a CV sport shifter and selector trim in that chrome from the factory when he picked his up in early summer 2002, it looked out of place with the dot matrix trim. Thankfully one of his sons now has it along with his 1953 Mercury Monterey and 1954 Sun Valley.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
And I know of one Marauder owner that got a CV sport shifter and selector trim in that chrome from the factory when he picked his up in early summer 2002, it looked out of place with the dot matrix trim. Thankfully one of his sons now has it along with his 1953 Mercury Monterey and 1954 Sun Valley.

That happened to a few people, I believe MartyO's old Marauder was like that when he bought it as well. Perfect example of Ford being short on parts and just finding a substitute to get it out the door.

BittenInBama

Established Member
My daily for several years was an 02 MGM LS-E
Floor shift/console, buckets & rear air ride. Really nice combo.
That car w a power upgrade would be a great daily still today

Dan SS2471

Established Member
Pics of R coded Mach 1. Im pretty sure they were kind of rare.

Weren’t they detuned Boss 351 carry-overs?

Also funny you mention just running the Impala for the hell of it. One of my first trips to the drag strip someone that was in “our group” got bored and ran his roadmaster wagon 100% full of shit to a 14.7/14.8 at ~95
Another rained out weekend here so I'm bored and when you're this bored, you find old threads that you missed a year ago when you weren't this bored.

So yes, according to a Marti report, there were 1,806 (this is from memory from 30 years ago) 'R' codes built in '72. My particular combo yielded 398 builds. Detuned Boss 351 as you said. It was labeled a 351 H.O. Rated at 285 HP vs 330 in '71 for the Boss. Smog boxes killed everything starting in '72. Attaching some pics of pics from 2001 when I sold it. I bought it in '93. I have an article from Mustang Times that I can't find which was a response to my question as to whether or not Ford offered the '72 R-code in BOSS 351 trim because my car was decked out that way. Looked like a '71 BOSS instead of a Mach I - which it was. Turned out a previous owner did that. I changed out the fender and deck lid emblems to MACH I at one point but the solid black treatment on the hood vs being cut away around the hood pins was still in place so I put the BOSS 351 emblems back on it. I just googled the VIN because previously it would link to the Mustang Times article, but it's gone now. The VIN is (hopefully the car is still alive) 2F05R190222. Car had medium bright yellow paint, ginger interior, 4-speed top loader with drag-pack, 3:93 gears. It obviously wasn't stock (lumpy cam) and I put a 750 double pumper on it. Running low 13s through the gears on Eagle STs....lotsa fun. I have a really good launch pic from E-town that Dave Milcarek took one night when I was there but I don't know where it is.

Attachments

• Resized_20240323_162242.jpeg
    Resized_20240323_162242.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Resized_20240323_162234.jpeg
    Resized_20240323_162234.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Resized_20240323_162226.jpeg
    Resized_20240323_162226.jpeg
    200.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Resized_20240323_162215.jpeg
    Resized_20240323_162215.jpeg
    208.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

MFE

Established Member
The Marauders absolutely reek of soft suspension and failed expectations. They could have been totally badass with an SVT Cobra engine, heavy duty suspension and brakes, and even a manual trans, as proven out by Roush when they built the Crown Vics for Bondurant instructors. The Impala SS was basically a cop car with nicer appointments. Much more grunt, stiffer suspension. Still shitty brakes, but a better package all around.

Users who are viewing this thread