Votes: 23 76.7%
  • Caprice Classic & Family

Votes: 7 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
So I've noticed that the GM Caprice Classic / Impala SS has more or less maintained a sort of classic iconic status amongst many automotive enthusiasts. Ford Crown Vic and it's siblings are certainly popular they always have seemed a rung lower on the ladder.

Anyone else feel this way? Is it just the rarity of the Caprice?

1306-01-ford-vs-chevy-cop-car-showdown-caprice-and-victoria-comparison.jpg

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
IMG_0553.JPG
IMG_0547.JPG

Mine was low key stealth as most thought it was stock as I kept the stock exhaust so no one knew I had the Trilogy S/C kit nd 5.0L stroker kit putting 428 HP at the wheels. That was until I punched it and the whine came from under the hood, loved the look of the BMW M-5 2002-04 that I suckered into thinking he was just going to pass me and cut in front due to his lane ending.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
In what context? For police use or civilian? I don’t think either of these were a big hit in the civilian market, but I’ve had both Caprices and Crown Vic’s for work. The 94-96 Caprices are arguably the best modern sedan for Law Enforcement(I know it’s over 25 years now). They were big, comfortable, and fast, but not overly nimble. Depending on the size light bar on the roof the Caprices could go well into the 140’s. The Crown Vic’s were slower, but better handling in my opinion, and were ****ing tanks. They both have their following and It’s subjective to say one was “better” than the other, but I miss the Caprice and I lean more toward that car. This might be because they were being phased out shortly after I came on and I only was assigned to two of them. I have more seat time in Crown Victorias and they will go down as one of the greats, like the Caprice.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
The panther platform, for sure. Everything from "grandpa's" Grand Marquis, to taxi's, limos, and police cars. Such a quiet, maybe not glorious, significant platform. Only thing the Caprice had over panther, was the wagon.

offroadkarter

Professional S***poster
Established Member
I think the "cult" status of the B body is more around the "vette motor", everyone remembers them as being tire roasting torque monsters, bit of rose tinted glasses fondness IMO.

Panthers are (unfortunately) trendy right now thanks to youtube, its like they got a second revival in popularity after Cleetus started crashing them every other week in oval races. So now I get to see a whole new generation of owners doing manual swaps in clapped out old cop cars. I see a few clapped out p71's in my area from time to time, parked up at the "car meets" outside Sheetz on a weekend evening, makes me glad I'm not rolling around in my black Marauder anymore or I'm sure they'd want to be friends.

I would actually love to own a dark cherry metallic impala SS to park with my Marauder, but I'm not looking to drop 20 grand on a nice bubble B body. A few blocks away from me is a sun faded and derelict 94-96 black impala sitting in a driveway, been tempted to knock on the door and see if its for sale cheap.

I did almost buy a 96 SS off a friend years and years ago, car had a lot of work done to it including a H/C/I 383 stroker, built trans + 3500 stall converter, tri y headers + full exhaust and a full hotchkis suspension. Just didn't work out in the end, but I drove the car a fair bit and really loved it.

i-rJTCgvG-X3.jpg

robvas

Established Member
I remember the state police tests where the Caprice wiped the floor with the Crown Vic

That said, the Crown Vics are all taken by rent-a-cop wannabes and the Caprices are all donked out

supercharged91m

Local 46
Established Member
I'm expecting the panther to win this one lol. They both have their ups and downs but the price of them is escalated the last couple of years where it's insanity IMHO

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
I think they are both really cool cars and the last of their breed. Body on frame, RWD, V8, tons of room inside, huge trunk, tough as nails and would run forever. The LT1 was definitely a few steps above the 4.6 regarding performance. I don't know the build numbers, I imagine Ford built many more for a longer period of time.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
I miss the crown vic and the grand marquis that my mother had.

Id love a marauder!

My state cop buddies ( 2 of em lol) love the caprice compared the the crown vic but they said both cars had strong and weak points

Id also rock a impala SS in a minute

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I knew a local guy back around 1997 who had a stunning '95 black Impala SS with hydraulic suspension. Big Dave I think his name was. His Impala always attracted a lot of attention at local cruises and shows. I remember back then seeing quite few Impala SSs around, but not many Crown Vics.

Dan SS2471

Established Member
I leased a BBB SS in December of '95. First new car I ever owned. My older brother (18 yrs my senior) was sitting in the back seat one night with his wife and we were on our way home from dinner. He said, "I like this. I feel like I'm in the Mayor's car." hahaha.

I started racing in '98 mainly to see what my '72 'R' code Mach I would run (at ETOWN) and decided to run the Impala for the heck of it after I became comfortable at the track. It ran an 'impressive' 14.8 @ 96. It had a K&N drop in. I bought it outright at lease end for $14K (because they based the residual value on a Caprice...hey...I'll take it!) and I put it up for sale in '99 when I bought a new Camaro SS. I wound up selling the Impala for 18K.

I have nothing to compare it to because I never drove a Crown Vic but I do like both body styles.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I leased a BBB SS in December of '95. First new car I ever owned. My older brother (18 yrs my senior) was sitting in the back seat one night with his wife and we were on our way home from dinner. He said, "I like this. I feel like I'm in the Mayor's car." hahaha.

I started racing in '98 mainly to see what my '72 'R' code Mach I would run (at ETOWN) and decided to run the Impala for the heck of it after I became comfortable at the track. It ran an 'impressive' 14.8 @ 96. It had a K&N drop in. I bought it outright at lease end for $14K (because they based the residual value on a Caprice...hey...I'll take it!) and I put it up for sale in '99 when I bought a new Camaro SS. I wound up selling the Impala for 18K.

I have nothing to compare it to because I never drove a Crown Vic but I do like both body styles.

Pics of R coded Mach 1. Im pretty sure they were kind of rare.

Weren’t they detuned Boss 351 carry-overs?

Also funny you mention just running the Impala for the hell of it. One of my first trips to the drag strip someone that was in “our group” got bored and ran his roadmaster wagon 100% full of shit to a 14.7/14.8 at ~95

Recon

Established Member
Definitely. That’s how it is around here. B bodies are highly regarded, and the Marauder does ok from the Panthers. It’s just rare to see the Marauder. The other cat siblings are normally ragged out junk or elderly driven. My grandmother is on her 16th and 17th town car, and she loves them. I don’t remember her driving anything other than them. There are some crappy caprices around here, but seem to be much more money than the comparable Panther. But there’s a strong GM presence in my area. I’ve seen a really nice black Impala SS around town a few times. I like the Marauder, but I’m biased to the Impala.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Outlaw99

Join us.
Premium Member
My first patrol vehicle was a caprice. Even with the police package, it drove like a fishing boat. Hated that ****ing thing.

Users who are viewing this thread