Cam covers, AFCO, KB 2.2, 03 Cobra Installation Pictures - Some assembly req.!

sonicmach1

Established Member
You're just about there.....completion! Man, you've put a lot of time and parts into your project, but the results speak for themselves. Well done sir. Well done!

Thanks! It is a fun hobby, but I cannot think of starting over on any other (stock) platform.

sonicmach1

Established Member
I am almost done. I have to put on one grease fitting cap, route and install the speed sensors, swap the rotors (they are currently on the wrong side for correct venting), then put the exhaust back on.
Lastly, I need to work on the emergency brake cable system to get some more length out of it to fit the relocated calipers. I will need to remove the center console and look at the ratcheting parts to unwind it a bit.

I hope to test drive it tomorrow without the mufflers first!

IRS_AlmostDone1_6172017.jpg
IRS_AlmostDone3_6172017.jpg
IRS_AlmostDone4_6172017.jpg

sonicmach1

Established Member
I have gotten some questions on the electrical wiring updates I did. Here are the 3 stages of my Cobra over the years in decending order:

1) Newly updated system I just completed - once it stops raining this week I will take it out and log the voltage and amp draw.
2) Stock-ish with some added features
3) Stock

Cobra_Newly Updated Electrical System_6_2017.png

Cobra_Added Features to Stock Electrical System_6_2017.png

Cobra_Stock Electrical System_6_2017.png

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
FINALLY! It is back on the road!

The Full Tilt Boogie Racing Delrin and aluminum bushing kit has transformed it into a sports car from just a muscle car. (The new R888R tires probably help some too and the lighter rear brakes.) I can now power out of corners much harder, the rear end doesn't kick out going over road heaves and bumps, and it squats better in a hole shot.
I have just a little bit of gear whine which is not an issue.

If you are contemplating doing this kit, I would recommend it!

IMG_20170620_210625.jpg

I only polished the rear exhaust section for now. I did a cursory cleanup of the rest of the pipe and muffler cans.
ExhaustDone_20170620.jpg

Done_DQ_20170622.jpg

ExhaustDone_20170621_2.jpg

I am trying out the new double rolled Borla tips on the new end section (after the mufflers) I bought back in 2010. They are 1/2" larger and more prominent than my single wall versions. The only issue I see with the double rolled tips, is that they show the black exhaust residue after only a short drive.

Last edited:

sonicmach1

Established Member
So I did some quick data checks into the voltage and amps produced by my Ford *stock* alternator with stock pulley with my wiring improvements. I used 2 Fluke meters - one for direct battery post voltage and the other with an amp meter clamp on the alternator + wire. ***I am not able to get the clamp around the 4 positive battery output wires due to their size. So the data below are skewed somewhat by the battery capacity helping the alternator. I will repeat my testing after having my battery charging normally for a few weeks to see how its normal running state is.

Overall the performance is acceptable (surprisingly). I see an increase of 2- 3V at 7000 RPM full throttle. With the old wiring, voltage would start dropping shortly after going wide open.

I have a suspicion that much of our alternator issues can be improved with proper wiring for the ground, positive, and battery terminals than just base alternator output.

Don't get me wrong, bigger and better alternators can only help especially in the idle condition. I have purchased a higher amp (~170A) rebuild kit http://starteralternatorrebuildkits.com/product/8268/ for the stock 6G case that I will test later too. I bought this inexpensive kit mainly because I like to mod things!

Here are some example Volts and Amps data so far:
Idle Voltages.png

The following are in 2nd gear from ~ 2000 RPM to 7000 RPM full throttle runs.
High RPM Voltages.png

sonicmach1

Established Member
So I have been driving it for just a couple weeks after the most recent 3 month IRS project and I am already planning on the next one - front suspension overhaul!

Potentially about a 40 lb weight reduction with the crossmember, coil over springs, and A-arms.

Misc. Backup Items
Ford Racing High Torque Mini Starter
https://acdn.americanmuscle.com/i/215448_6007EEE8.jpg Credit to user FordGT for the picture
170 Amp Upgrade Kit For 6G Alternator
2017-07-09_22-48-07.png
(2) GT500 Brake Rotors [New replacements after powder coating the hats]
Spare new set of AFS 18x9, 18x10.5 Wheels

New Front Suspension Project Items
Steeda Lightweight Front Engine Crossmember

Maximum Motorsports

Coil-Over Conversion Kit with 350 lb/in Springs, Bilstein MM Sport Struts
Forward-offset Front Control Arms with Urethane Bushings
Front Bumpsteer kit bolt-through style

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Have you bought the Steeda K Member yet? It is a very nice and stout piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nightmare302

OhChuteRacing Owner
Established Member
No idea why you'd go Steeda instead of MM since you are running MM everything else and people have had some SERIOUS issues getting them.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
No idea why you'd go Steeda instead of MM since you are running MM everything else and people have had some SERIOUS issues getting them.

My first one had some lackluster communication in getting but the second came quickly and did not have those issues.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Have you bought the Steeda K Member yet? It is a very nice and stout piece.

Yes I ordered it. Build to order and they said about a 1.5 week fabrication time. I am in no rush as this will probably be a winter project after December.

I did not go MM because I did not want to mod the oil filter and add more lines for the relocation. Also if the coil overs interfere with my oversized 275 Toyo Proxes R888Rs, I can revert to my springs. Thank you for the feedback though on the delivery times. I will keep in touch with Steeda should there be any issues.

Worse case I sell it and get MM later! :D

sonicmach1

Established Member
Just an FYI, The Steeda crossmember arrived today - so only about 3 weeks from the order date.

sonicmach1

Established Member
Some tips on how I adjusted the parking brake cable. I had to unwind (to loosen) the cable to keep the calipers from applying after I went with larger diameter rotors.
I also confirmed that when the e-brake is off, there is no drag on the rear pads. When I pull it up, it still has sufficient e-brake force.

2017-08-11_14-06-32.png

2017-08-11_14-06-17.png

sonicmach1

Established Member
A few more parts/projects updates.

Look at these new beauties (backups)
New_Halfshafts2_9022017 2.jpg
New_Halfshafts1_9022017 2.jpg

Steeda front crossmember (winter project). I bought it bare and will powdercoat it redfire like my IRS parts.
Steeda_Crossmember (3) 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread